• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best (one ski) Ski School Quiver

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
When I worked at Stowe (which is now behind the curtain as well, but I don't work there anymore), the limit was 2 pairs of skis per instructor. I did two things to get around that.

One thing I did was just ignored the rule and kept 3 pairs of skis in the locker room. Skis went on common racks, and our names weren't on them, so there wasn't any way to actually know whose was whose. Not sure what your locker room setup is, though.

The other thing I did was just keep my skis in my roof box, and I would pull what I wanted for that day. I preferred that method, because I had all my skis with me, and they were locked up in my box, rather than sitting out on racks in the locker room, where any sticky fingered first year instructor bro could walk off with them.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
Far more applicable to the term quiver is the roof top box. Technically, the skis are the arrows. I always have at least an SL and GS arrow in my box, waxed, sharpened, ready to fly and hit my target between the eyes. You? Dead on the spot! :) Between the two, they’ll work for every target. Except for maybe powder when I will use my toy Nerf arrow and no one gets hurt.

LVj7SStskS_rXLaBnRYS9vugZAbK1sf-sy0_KbnBH_zYT72OFU1F0zvBuU0ctrNAauevdj4P1iJaDkQJO-LIhPiXCxSTW6J5jS-fk1OUTeU89PdwsVnXxfmjr61pJMID0MzjR0kb

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
$1300+ for a teaching ski.... no thank you.

Oh, now it's the best one ski ski-school quiver for a reasonable price. Well, that changes everything.

There's no such thing as 100%. And, it depends on where one teaches, who one teaches, and how big and tall one is. So, on the basis on 95%-98% of the time on icy Eastern faces that occasionally get some powder, and on the basis of 5'10", 180 lbs, first year instructor teaching at the kids area, the low cost ski I chose was a Scott Flyair at 165 length, for 110£, $138 at the time. It is great for low speed carving. I can keep up with slower friends, and with any friends that just want to chill. However, after skiing on both, the one ski solution is the other ski I got at the same time, the Fischer Ranger 84, 184 length, purchased for 162.5£, $203 at the time. No titanium. Does great in slow carves, great on ice, fine in 6-7 inches of powder, and I can keep up with, not stay ahead of, friends. Unfortunately, I set them up with touring bindings. But, maybe not so unfortunate. The Flyairs are super easy to practically run up the hill in (herring boning) when a kid is down and needs help. Also, I have to bring the kids in anyway, for parental pickup. Once inside, it's easy enough to switch into my all-time favorites, a Blizzard Magnum 8.5Ti, now unavailable at any price.

The Rangers were never available in NA, but one might still be able to grab a pair from an online shop in the EU. Between me and others, shipping cost for five sets of skis and bindings was 55£.

Maybe this belongs in the purchases to brag about thread, but i don't like to brag. :)

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I would say ski’s that you don’t mind getting run over by students, (kids and adults). I know of some Instructors who when it’s crowded and they are working either on the never-ever or novice slopes on holidays and weekends get a pair of rentals, the same ones the students are on, mostly so their skis don’t get run over...

Last season I taught/clinic’d/free skied on my K2 Pinicle 95’s out here in the Southwest where there is no ice (growing up in Mi I have a high standard for what constitutes ice). Even though the pinicle is tauted as an Internedidiate-Advanced Ski with its 16 meter radius it carves really well, even at speed (packed powder/groomed) it doesn’t chatter. It’s great in powder, trees, moguls. It can make really good short radius turns and the rockered tail allowed me to ski switch fairly easily which I do a lot of, I do a lot of school/youth programs and teach a lot of blue slope 7-14 year olds, some days I think I ski as much backwards as I do forwards:). Just a sweet easy going and very forgiving ski.

This season I thought I’d go back to a slalom ski (keeping my K2’s for powder/backside) I took advantage of a Pro-deal and got some head i-Rally’s that I just unboxed:). I’m looking forward to seeing how those babies carve and perform white pass turns and some other tasks a little challenging on a 95mm ski. My only concern is how they do switch, I imagine that will be a learning curve...

Last edited:
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
When I worked at Stowe (which is now behind the curtain as well, but I don't work there anymore), the limit was 2 pairs of skis per instructor. I did two things to get around that.

One thing I did was just ignored the rule and kept 3 pairs of skis in the locker room. Skis went on common racks, and our names weren't on them, so there wasn't any way to actually know whose was whose. Not sure what your locker room setup is, though.

The other thing I did was just keep my skis in my roof box, and I would pull what I wanted for that day. I preferred that method, because I had all my skis with me, and they were locked up in my box, rather than sitting out on racks in the locker room, where any sticky fingered first year instructor bro could walk off with them.
We have the sliding rack system with individually designated slots holding one pair each. I always have extras in my truck. If I think tomorrow is going to be a powder day off, I take my working pair to the truck when I leave and carry in another pair in the morning. It's a manageable solution to a decidedly first-world problem.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bump, as I'm looking for a ski to use with our kiddos. I have been using a 174 Blizzard 8.5 Ti and would like extend the life of those and use something turnier at slower speeds with the kids. I don't want to spend much and starting to dig around in clearance bins!
Same, just narrower. Graphene (M83/88)in the middle instead of the ends (M98/108). If you don't mind a system binding, the Power Instinct is a Monster 83 in different clothing.

I love the idea of a Power Instinct and found these 170 Head Pure Instinct's dirt cheap:
https://www.levelninesports.com/head-pure-instinct-83-r-ab-skis-w-prd-14-ski-bindings-1

I can't for the life of me figure out what they are. The internet is devoid of any information about the Pure Instinct. Wondering if you might be able to help me decipher. They're 83 mm, have 14 din bindings and a wood core. All of that seems to indicate it's a higher and ski but the description says beginners to intermediate ski?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on those or other skis that come to anyone's mind. Thanks!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This season I thought I’d go back to a slalom ski (keeping my K2’s for powder/backside) I took advantage of a Pro-deal and got some head i-Rally’s that I just unboxed:). I’m looking forward to seeing how those babies carve and perform white pass turns and some other tasks

It's funny because I was thinking of updating my review of the Rallies (as an intermediate skier) about doing drills with them. They are soooo good, at least for me. I am ending the season being able to do some Javelin turns, which was impossible to me last season (I tried a few times and I couldn't even start to pick up a ski before losing balance). I am hoping you love them as much as I love mine :) Of course, you all ski at a much higher level than I do, but I have a good hunch!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It's funny because I was thinking of updating my review of the Rallies (as an intermediate skier) about doing drills with them. They are soooo good, at least for me. I am ending the season being able to do some Javelin turns, which was impossible to me last season (I tried a few times and I couldn't even start to pick up a ski before losing balance). I am hoping you love them as much as I love mine :) Of course, you all ski at a much higher level than I do, but I have a good hunch!

I figured it was your turn to make the Rally's are amazing statement

:beercheer:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't that Pure Instinct just Monster 83 with a system binding?

That's what I was hoping, but per Mark's post the Monster 83 is the same as the Power Instinct. That's consistent with this video I found that has no mention of the Pure Instinct nor green skis:

James

Out There
Instructor
Bump, as I'm looking for a ski to use with our kiddos. I have been using a 174 Blizzard 8.5 Ti and would like extend the life of those and use something turnier at slower speeds with the kids. I don't want to spend much and starting to dig around in clearance bins!
A 156/7/8 fis slalom ski. The 165 also but the shorter ones you can usually get better deals on. Works fine with the kids and then you've got something that is...a real ski as opposed to some toned down, lobotomized turd. ogsmile Ask @KingGrump
Otherwise, man up and get a short real mogul ski. 170.
Simple...

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'd look for a Nordica Nrgy 80.... should be cheap and is really fun in the bumps!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Right. It looks like this Pure Instinct is a cap ski... wouldn't touch it @tball
To further warn off others, the listing is wrong and it's synthetic core, not wood core. The listing mentions "Power Sidewall TI Jacket Construction" which isn't the top of the line "Worldcup Sandwich Cap Construction" that's on the Monster 83 and Power Instinct Ti Pro:
https://www.head.com/nl-IC/sports/ski/technology/graphene/

I'm pretty sure this is the real deal. 25% off coupon doesn't seem to work for me, but still a good deal at $450. I don't want a 177. Just one left if somebody is interested:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/product/index/326yu/

Edit: backcountry has all sizes for $439!

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the thoughts @James and @markojp! I'm oddly am liking the idea of all three: bump, fis slalom, and Nrgy 80. Seems wrong. Gonna sleep on it and see how they work in dream ski land!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Fwiw, I have a pair of fis sl's. They're fun, though finding a pair as cheap as an nrgy 80 will be tough unless they're just hammered.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks again! After some considered thought, I'm loving the price of the nrgy 80, and the idea of a FIS SL ski, just because. I think a bump ski is out.

As much as I would love to use this as an excuse to buy a bump ski it just doesn't feel like the right thing to do. It's hard to rationalize that's in the best interest of my kiddos since bump skiing is my strength. I'm thinking I really should buy a ski to compensate for my weakness, groomers.

Glen Plake says I can buy a turn! Wanting only the best for our children, what's the best ski (or class of skis) one can buy to help demonstrate technically proficient, appropriate turns on groomers for 7 to 10-year-olds. No time to rebuild my skiing from the ground up. I see using this ski for three years or so. I'm pretty sure I can make any ski work to demonstrate the inevitable bump skiing too.

I'm hoping other instructors have gone through a similar exercise picking skis for teaching. I very much appreciate the expertise here!

Sponsor

Staff online