• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best (one ski) Ski School Quiver

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Since the M88 has lots of discussion here...is the M83 just a slightly narrow version of the same ski? Or is it softened up as is often the case in such lines?

Same, just narrower. Graphene (M83/88)in the middle instead of the ends (M98/108). If you don't mind a system binding, the Power Instinct is a Monster 83 in different clothing.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Same, just narrower. Graphene (M83/88)in the middle instead of the ends (M98/108). If you don't mind a system binding, the Power Instinct is a Monster 83 in different clothing.

Great beta....eyeing a 177cm M83 for $249 as a low-tide, western ski. Thinking a shorter skis than typical for me would be good for drills, bumps, trees, while not giving away too much top end.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Great beta....eyeing a 177cm M83 for $249 as a low-tide, western ski. Thinking a shorter skis than typical for me would be good for drills, bumps, trees, while not giving away too much top end.

IMHO, buy the length you need. Many times too short is just too short.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I just made a deal on a pair of these from a well-known re-seller in Steamboat.
Thanks @Ron.
They should be a good choice, until more terrain opens up.
For mid-winter conditions, I think 88 is a good all around number under foot.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Personally I wouldn't want to have a pair of Stockli / Kastles / Renouns as a teaching ski that is going to get the usually ski-school trashing. If you were only teaching advanced privates the answer might be difference.

For teaching lower level skiers I'd want something with mid-80s waist, not super precise / demanding to ski, slight twin so you can ski backwards at times, and beefy enough to rock around the hill otherwise. Probably a hair of tip rocker for those times you get off piste between lessons?

Somethings disposable that can still ski....remember you skied the E100, if you like that maybe the E88 HD? Brahma? Monster 88? RTM84?

At 220#, you shouldn't have problems bending any of them even at slowish ski-school speeds.
E88 and Brahma were on my list as reasonably priced and versatile.
Stocki, Renoun, and Kastles are beautiful skis, but even at a pro deal, they are nearly double the Rossi and the Blizzard.
And I would be worried about them walking:eek:
The others I would slap a Pugski sticker on and not worry about it. :coffee:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This varies from mountain to mountain. One's local reality isn't necessarily another's.

:beercheer:

Right but Blue Streak stated that info, part timers one slot, full timers 2 slots, in the OP of the thread.

Another note on going with a major brand over a boutique or smaller brand for teaching... A delam or loose edge on a big brand is usually replaced quickly and can be handled by many different ski shops. A problem with a small brand might leave an instructor without the skis for a longer period of time waiting for the warranty decision and replacement.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Fwiw, this is case by case. Last season in one case, a lically made boutique ski came back with an issue. The maker was out, so they just pressed him a new ski. It was a 4-5 day turn around. It took me 4 months to get a major brand replacement... had to wait for a new production run. Fortunately when friends lose use of a ski, it's not all too hard to find a loaner. Just buy beer.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Right but Blue Streak stated that info, part timers one slot, full timers 2 slots, in the OP of the thread.

Another note on going with a major brand over a boutique or smaller brand for teaching... A delam or loose edge on a big brand is usually replaced quickly and can be handled by many different ski shops. A problem with a small brand might leave an instructor without the skis for a longer period of time waiting for the warranty decision and replacement.

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
I skied most days on the Fischer Pro Mountain 86 last season. On big days I used the Fischer Ranger 108. I skied just under 100 days last season. There is really nothing I couldn't do on the 86. I like them so much I will probably get a fresh pair for this season.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Fwiw, this is case by case. Last season in one case, a lically made boutique ski came back with an issue. The maker was out, so they just pressed him a new ski. It was a 4-5 day turn around. It took me 4 months to get a major brand replacement... had to wait for a new production run. Fortunately when friends lose use of a ski, it's not all too hard to find a loaner. Just buy beer.
Well, when that happens a good retailer and vendor should work together to give the customer a loaner pair from their demo fleet to use until the replacement comes in...

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
More detail for you CR. 4 days before my L2 exam in mid April a few years back, I pulled the heel piece out of my ski and broke the binding cam. The local shop gave me their demo pair, same ski, same length. Our SSD also offered a pair of skis. Good service all around. A warranty replacement wasn't availble as the major maker was sold out. Got a new pair for the start of the following season. It all went about as well as can be expected.

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
Rossy e 88

I really liked the E88 for a few years several seasons ago. In fact I still use that ski for a tele set up and it's still great. I don't like the Experience line nearly as much as I used to once they started using the honeycomb material in the tip and tail.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Hey @Philpug, did you ever do a Brahma vs E88 Cage Match?
Would that be a good one?

Sponsor