• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best (one ski) Ski School Quiver

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Real estate is pretty valuable here behind the Epic Curtain, and the precious space in the ski school locker room is no exception.
Full-time instructors are allowed two pairs of skis, while part-timers (like myself) only get one.
It's not but so much of a hardship to bring in a different pair on a powder day or to change skis from time to time to suit one's fancy.
But it would be nice to settle on one pair that does it all.
Last year I spent most of my time on 185 cm Nordica Enforcers, which are great fun in the back bowls and surprisingly good on the front.
But, as one of the trainers put it, "they are just not very precise," in the context of Certification training and examination: too long and too wide for the level of precision required.
While I certainly embrace the idea that it's not the arrow; it's the indian, he had a point.
So this year, I am looking for a ski that would be fine for teaching lower level skiers, good for clinics and Cert training, and versatile enough to be good when I am chasing my buddies around the mountain (and I mean ALL around the mountain).
And I am 220, so a pair of noodles won't cut it.
Suggestions?

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Real estate is pretty valuable here behind the Epic Curtain, and the precious space in the ski school locker room is no exception.
Full-time instructors are allowed two pairs of skis, while part-timers (like myself) only get one.
It's not but so much of a hardship to bring in a different pair on a powder day or to change skis from time to time to suit one's fancy.
Last year I spent most of my time on 185 cm Nordica Enforcers, which are great fun in the back bowls and surprisingly good on the front.
But, as one of the trainers put it, "they are just not very precise," in the context of Certification training and examination: too long and too wide for the level of precision required.
While I certainly embrace the idea that it's not the arrow; it's the indian, he had a point.
So this year, I am looking for a ski that would be fine for teaching lower level skiers, good for clinics and Cert training, and versatile enough to be good when I am chasing my buddies around the mountain (and I mean ALL around the mountain).
Suggestions?
What is that @Ron? Did you say Stockli Laser AX?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Personally I wouldn't want to have a pair of Stockli / Kastles / Renouns as a teaching ski that is going to get the usually ski-school trashing. If you were only teaching advanced privates the answer might be difference.

For teaching lower level skiers I'd want something with mid-80s waist, not super precise / demanding to ski, slight twin so you can ski backwards at times, and beefy enough to rock around the hill otherwise. Probably a hair of tip rocker for those times you get off piste between lessons?

Somethings disposable that can still ski....remember you skied the E100, if you like that maybe the E88 HD? Brahma? Monster 88? RTM84?

At 220#, you shouldn't have problems bending any of them even at slowish ski-school speeds.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Buck the trend...Go with a Volant Spatula:cool::duck:.

Actually, something 80 or below with a good turn built in that does not require speed to get going and is good at low speed drills. Are you looking at this years or discount rack?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Problem I see...is something 80mm or below that doesn't require speed (aka the ideal teaching ski)....is that it isn't going to be a ski you also want to rip around the mountain on all terrain with.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why don't you use Dexter's locker for your 2nd pair of skis? He's not using it anymore.

Seriously though, could you rent a regular seasonal locker in addition to your free one in the ski school building?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
A OSQ can just about work for freeskiing but with your conflicting instructor variables etc. that's asking a lot or making you work really hard in your fun time. Get the middle of the road groomer zoomer for your ski school duties but remember to bring in a fun skis for the fun days.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Suggestions?

Check out the Head Monster 88. They are readily available to demo at Vail. I did last year and purchased a pair. Loved them. There are other options but the Head is a solid everyday ski (nice and durable)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Problem I see...is something 80mm or below that doesn't require speed (aka the ideal teaching ski)....is that it isn't going to be a ski you also want to rip around the mountain on all terrain with.
The more things you ask something to do, the less things it does well. He has to decide what he is willing to give up and prioritize his list of what is important.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have a few friends now teaching in that general neck of the woods, and not lightweights. They seem to have skis that they leave in the locker, and use primarily for the teaching purpose, and then often ski entirely different skis {a number of them} for fun, based on terrain and snow.

Teaching weapon that at least three use is a Head Supershape. I'm not sure who's on the Rally, who's on the Titan. Don't think anybody is on a Magnum, but I could be wrong. But they are on that family of skis. I think they're reasonably priced on a proform, or through a mountain rep. The comment that they have made to me is "these work!", and can be skied anywhere if really needed. The guys are all on a 170cm.

I would assume that something like those is what you'd want.

I ski a 184cm Monster. Love the ski, but can't imagine it being best for teaching. Might just be me.

Bet @markojp might be helpful with an idea.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@Blue Streak
For the general ski school client on a big mountain a 77-82mm waist ski in a 175-180 length with a 17-20m radius should suit your needs for demoing for clients and your own training. The average ski school client will not exceed the performance capabilities of that type of ski on any terrain. Instead of recommending specific skis, knowing that nearly every manufacturer makes a ski that fits this criteria, I'll say, buy whatever is cheap for you on a pro deal since it is best to not be emotionally attached to skis that you will be teaching on.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My head SuperShapes weigh a TON! Might be making them lighter now, but I preferred something light and on the shorter side when teaching and walking around a lot with skis on.

I usually skied different skis for the instructor clinics though. I don't have a good answer for a one ski instructor quiver adding in that dimension. Rent another locker with the unwashed masses??

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Standard disclaimer, I’m not a ski instructor. I have a friend who is and he is super happy with the narrow Head Monster. Most of our staff uses the Rossi or Dynastar 172 slalom-ish ski (link below). People really like the non-FIS Head slalom in a 170. Years ago I had a pair of 168 Stockli SC (again, slalom-ish) and they may be the best all around pair of skis I’ve seen.

For PSIA cerifications, I think slow and precise is what you want. A ski like a non-FIS slalom that works well at low speeds in a variety of terrain is probably what you want.

Now that I’ve said all that, I think an Enforcer is hard to beat for Vail. When I go for races, I usually bring a short GS (175 ish) becuse I can ski most things there ok, they hold well, and don’t get goofy when I have a 40 lb. start bag. They will slide well, but can carve too. Actually, I think I gave away the 176 and only have 186, but same logic applies.

This in the 172 is our standard coach ski. I’ve been told the Dynastar version is better, but I don’t know the difference:
https://the-raceplace.com/collections/skis-gear/products/2018-rossignol-hero-elite-st-ti-sl-skis

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
maybe the E88 HD? Brahma? Monster 88? RTM84?

Double like.

Maybe try those in your length and one length lower, to get the slower speed carving for instruction. I've been watching level II and level III exam videos. I don't see anything that would make one length-step down prohibitive. And, it'll be your buddies chasing you, not you chasing them, down tight moguls and trees.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I have a few friends now teaching in that general neck of the woods, and not lightweights. They seem to have skis that they leave in the locker, and use primarily for the teaching purpose, and then often ski entirely different skis {a number of them} for fun, based on terrain and snow.

Teaching weapon that at least three use is a Head Supershape. I'm not sure who's on the Rally, who's on the Titan. Don't think anybody is on a Magnum, but I could be wrong. But they are on that family of skis. I think they're reasonably priced on a proform, or through a mountain rep. The comment that they have made to me is "these work!", and can be skied anywhere if really needed. The guys are all on a 170cm.

I would assume that something like those is what you'd want.

I ski a 184cm Monster. Love the ski, but can't imagine it being best for teaching. Might just be me.

Bet @markojp might be helpful with an idea.

The Monster 88 is a great teaching ski for the west! It's the 'go to' when I have no idea what's coming on a particular day. For the midwest or east, I'd want my iSpeed Pro or a Supershape iSpeed... even an iSL RD.

Skis I taught/worked on last season:
M88, iSpeed Pro, M98.

FWIW, other skis I could happily teach on:
Volkl RTM 84, Volkl Code, Rossi E-84 (yes, I'm weird... I prefer it to the 88.) , a 17-18 Bonefide (for off piste steeps coaching), Head Titan, M83.

Skis I've happily taught on:
Rossi E-98, Head Titan, Nrgy 100, Rev 85pro (hugely versatile and underrated!)

Ski I'm really curious about:

Head Rebels iRace.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
My head SuperShapes weigh a TON! Might be making them lighter now, but I preferred something light and on the shorter side when teaching and walking around a lot with skis on.

I usually skied different skis for the instructor clinics though. I don't have a good answer for a one ski instructor quiver adding in that dimension. Rent another locker with the unwashed masses??

You have the old ones.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The Monster 88 is a great teaching ski for the west! It's the 'go to' when I have no idea what's coming on a particular day. I'd want my iSpeed Pro or a Supershape for the midwest or east... even an iSL RD, but the M88 is pretty close to a 'one and done' ski for me.

My Eastern roots and bias, always sneaking through! Despite skiing as much "away" as we do at home. Also could be that my friends are teaching older and slower clients....

Now that we have plenty of pros weighing in........I'm out. Discussion over my pay grade!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
My Eastern roots and bias, always sneaking through! Despite skiing as much "away" as we do at home. Also could be that my friends are teaching older and slower clients....

Now that we have plenty of pros weighing in........I'm out. Discussion over my pay grade!

I'll trade my paygrade for yours... ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online