• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best (one ski) Ski School Quiver

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How about the Fischer Pro Mtn? Possibly the 86Ti but I think even the 95Ti would do everything you want it to without losing too much "precision", yet wide enough to be comfortable all over the mountain.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
So this year, I am looking for a ski that would be fine for teaching lower level skiers, good for clinics and Cert training, and versatile enough to be good when I am chasing my buddies around the mountain (and I mean ALL around the mountain).
And I am 220, so a pair of noodles won't cut it.
Suggestions?

Yeah... Monster 88 (184), possibly the longest RTM84 if you want narrower. It tracks very well through off piste mixed conditions and is more precise than the M88.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
How about the Fischer Pro Mtn? Possibly the 86Ti but I think even the 95Ti would do everything you want it to without losing too much "precision", yet wide enough to be comfortable all over the mountain.

95 really won't do him much good since he already has an Enforcer 100. It really is harder to do certification 'task' stuff on wider skis. 88 max, narrow if you feel comfortable skiing off piste on them as well.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'll tell ya, when I was doing some boot fitting in a ski clinic for women last year, I was on the Renoun Z-90's. The lead instructor(L3) was fascinated at how maneuverable they were when I was slowing things down, but were also incredibly stable and precise when I picked up speed.
After the clinic was done, we switched skis. (she was on a fairly stiff carving ski)
After she skied it she decided to get a Renoun Z-90 for her teaching ski. Her reason was that she liked how she could slow down and demonstrate a move nicely and still be able to bend the ski, yet it had all the performance she wanted when she cuts loose.
On her normal teaching ski, it was great to actual ski, but when she was with a student and had to slow down to demonstrate something, it wasn't very friendly.

So, to make a long story short, (I know its a little late for that) my answer is - Renoun Z-90 :D

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
RENOUN Z90s for the win !
There isn't an examiner level move you can't perform on those.
The top sheet should be resilient enough for your lessons.
No need for another pair in the locker when it's time to freeski

Right behind you @Muleski !

Edit : writing as Tricia was posting !

$1300+ for a teaching ski.... no thank you. Respectfully, as much as I like the Renoun Z-90, it doesn't speed up or slow down one bit better or worse than a Monster 88.

Tune also matters if one's looking for precision.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
He is teaching at Vail :D
There is a pro deal link on the Renoun site,

IMG_2467.PNG

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I suppose another option to throw out is Folsom. Go down and talk to them. I think they will make you whatever you want so long as you can clearly articulate it. I had a colleague a few years ago who repped them. There was definite potential there, though I preferred my Enforcers.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
$1300+ for a teaching ski.... no thank you.

Question or two for you:
1) How many days/hours are you going to spend on this new purchase?
2) What is your value of quality/pleasure from your skis?

No one can tell you what to buy or how to spend your money, but I often see many people make short sighted decisions on expensive items to save a few dollars. But when you answer #1 above and amortize the cost over time.... how expensive is the extra $200, $300 or $400 to get the best quality?

Only you can answer that question.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Question or two for you:

No one can tell you what to buy or how to spend your money, but I often see many people make short sighted decisions on expensive items to save a few dollars. But when you answer #1 above and amortize the cost over time.... how expensive is the extra $200, $300 or $400 to get the best quality?

A teaching ski endures quite a bit of unavoidable trauma both on the bases/edges and the top sheets. You might have to ski over rocks to corral a kid who accidentally went through some woods. Your morning might be filled managing a pack of 5 year olds through narrow lesson lines.

Z-90 would be great for clinics and advanced lessons but heck no for a one ski teaching quiver!

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Well asking for ALL Mountain but still want precision and nothing to good since they will get scratched up and you also want to go shorter which takes away some of the advantages of having a longer ski - well is there such a ski? Not being brand specific, something around 85-90 mm underfoot with good side cut would be the closest. Your weight does not suggest a shorter ski but then again I an also not sure how tall you are. Skiing a shorter ski might offer some precision and make ski instruction easier but the length is better suited for all mountain.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This year's regular teaching ski is usually last year's clinics and advanced lesson ski for a lot of people.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get why @markojp said he didn't want to spend $1,300 for a teaching ski, in part because students have a habit of skiing over your skis and you get yourself into predicaments from time to time.
As for me, I sincerely think its a great choice and I wouldn't hesitate to ski it as a teaching ski. Others feel the same, which is why he had so many pre-orders from instructors at the end of the season.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
On the $$ vs. quality topic, I am firmly in the camp that believes only fools spend upper-three and four-figure amounts on skis, period--regardless of intended use--definitely if going to be used for teaching. Big $ does not equal quality, boutique is not a substitute for quality and a big name brand is not a substitute for quality.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Question or two for you:

From my point of view and my opinion (and as someone who thinks the Z-90 is a very good ski), I'm not sure what 'best quality' is or is even quantifiable. There are easily a half dozen skis I can think of off the top of my head from different manufactures that will do exactly what the OP is looking for, at a more moderate cost, and are all fine skis that any accomplished skier will have a great day on. Yes, I'm sure there's a prodeal on the Renoun. I'm guessing it's still more or equal to full MAP retail of any other ski brand other than Kastle or Stockli ( lovely skis as well!). In my humble experience having skied the Z-90 back to back with a Monster 88, while there is a distinct difference in 'feel' between these two very good skis, there's not several hundred dollars worth. They're just different, that's all. If it were exactly the opposite price wise, I'd ski the Renouns. Now all that said, if someone teaching has the spare coin to invest in a tool that's going to get used and abused, go for it! They're great skis! There are very few skis that I won't get pleasure from so long as the design brief/performance meets my use narrative. Again, I'd teach on an RTM 84, Rossi 84, or similar if I had an Enforcer 100 as a second ski my locker. If I were on the Nordica ticket, I'd look at a GT EVO 80 or 84. The GSR is also a fabulous ski that's still very skiable in any condition so long as there's a 'there' there under new snow, but even at pro pricing, we're back into more money. Anyhow.... if I were buying one ski to do absolutely everything all the time anywhere, yes, both the Z-90 and M88 would be on the very short list. The beauty of a Z-90 is that it skis alike a wider, more 'everywhere, all the time' Head Titan. If $$$ isn't an issue, go for it! ogsmile

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I get why @markojp said he didn't want to spend $1,300 for a teaching ski, in part because students have a habit of skiing over your skis and you get yourself into predicaments from time to time.
As for me, I sincerely think its a great choice and I wouldn't hesitate to ski it as a teaching ski. Others feel the same, which is why he had so many pre-orders from instructors at the end of the season.

I'd be willing to wager most instructors ordering it aren't planning to use it as their only teaching ski.. if they teach all levels that is. Full timers get TWO locker slots. It would be a great good teaching ski, but need a 2nd one for the war zone lessons..

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Since the M88 has lots of discussion here...is the M83 just a slightly narrow version of the same ski? Or is it softened up as is often the case in such lines?

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I teach on the same skis I ski on for several reasons:

1. Teaching is also my practice time. I want to be on the skis I am going to use for an exam.
2. If I don't get work at lineup, I want to go skiing. I don't want to take the time to have to return to the locker room and change out skis.
3. Skis are meant to be used. I really don't care if the topsheets get scratched.
4. I don't want to be on some crappy skis when I teach.
5. I don't have a bunch of skis. I have an 80'ish ski, a 90'ish ski and a 70'ish ski. That is all I need. (Well, now I have backcountry skis and I have skate skis) Ok, I guess I have a bunch of skis but only 3 that I use "in resort".

My teaching skis have changed over the years. The year I did my Level 2, I was on Kastle LX82's. Great, versatile ski and the ski I used for my exam. The only other ski IU used that year was a 98 Nemesis for powder days.

I agree with Marko that 88 would be the widest I would go for a teaching/exam ski.

Sponsor

Staff online