• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Pizza experiment tonite, made two thin crust pies with same amount of dough I use for my mega thick crust pie. Turned out great! Should have switched the pies top and bottom a bit sooner but very good with my local malt and hops DIPA.

rKew2aOh.jpg

RnGNpNHh.jpg
Now I want pizza and beer.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
what toppings do you have on those puppies?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Love that browning on the edges. Are you buying or making the dough?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am making the dough, it part of making pizza great again.

Making and working the dough is fun and I enjoy it. Trying new things is also great. I have found a different flour on Amazon, one made to work in 550F home oven instead of the normal 800-900F pizza ovens.

Wow - the flour thing is completely new to me. Makes sense. Always hear about how the water want “hard” be “soft” water makes the difference in the dough.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also pre cook my dough in the oven while it is heating up then pull it out for finial assembly. . I also started using 50/50 mozzarella and grated parmesan reggiano cheese.

I’ve had pizza here in NYC that does that 50/50 cheese and it’s grest. Often one cheese alone can overwhelm or be completely underwhelming. Combining two different cheeses like moz and parm can yield a nice medium flavor.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Cast iron pizza pan is also a game changer.

Roman style pizza was the thing for the last couple years. Now Detroit style pizza is the new thing here in NYC. Do not remember having a had any in the past but for now I am joining in on the craze. At some point I am sure I will revert back to a”plain slice”.

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
The water mineral profile is important to the pizza dough yeast. Yeast need certain nutrients in order to thrive.

I use them regularly for beer making.

Wow - the flour thing is completely new to me. Makes sense. Always hear about how the water want “hard” be “soft” water makes the difference in the dough.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
:eek:
The water mineral profile is important to the pizza dough yeast. Yeast need certain nutrients in order to thrive.

I use them regularly for beer making.

People talk about hard vs soft water a lot when explaining why NYC bagels are so good. I was speaking to one of the brewers at Foam Brewery up in Burlington and he also mentioned how important water was and how mountain spring water was usually the preferred type of water for brewing beer.

Speaking of water - I remember going to a fancy restaurant in NYC 15-20 years ago and ordering a bottle of water at which point the waiter asked me what kind of water I liked. I said wet water. He did not find it funny and handed me a water list from which to choose. Wonder why that place closed :rolleyes:

Sponsor

Staff online