• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Camelback used to do an All Night Ski. Do they or anyone do that any more?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes Elk has limited night skiing but I make the best of it. There are ways I make it more enjoyable buy skiing the same 4 trails by skiing each edge, left then right. Most nights I get in 12 runs At about 1k Vertical per pop , it enough for me.
For the lighted trails, Slalom is fun if not as steep as Tuscarora (steepest at Elk?) and Delaware is great for cranking out some big GS turns if not crowded. Susquehanna probably would be as well, but not yet for me at my current level. I try to stay off Tioga as much as possible. My son keeps telling me to ski the trail edges if I want to get better...

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback used to do an All Night Ski. Do they or anyone do that any more?
Short answer is no. They close at 9 which is probably earlier then they did when you were there.

Blue has the best lighting I've seen (at least the ones that work, it had several out and large shadows last time I was there at night). It was good enough to ski the seeded bumps on Challenge, something I would not do on Asp or Cliffy at Camelback bumped up.

Speaking of bumps. My hope is the Camelback is a little more aggressive with the bumps this year. Last year I thought they kind of took a step backward. but I'll give them a slight break with a new GM and new people in Mountain Ops, but this year I'm breaking out the hammer again. Trees are not an option here( at least to me), so bumps are the generally the most challenging skiing PA offers. A good bump run makes our smaller PA mountains ski just a little bit bigger and act as a good practice arena for our friends up north and out west.

BTW a couple of new things at Camelback this year will be the renovated Cameltop (or what ever they name it now) and I think a new jazzed up restaurant in the Glen Lodge.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not all night but I think Wachusset has a ski til midnight'ish on new years eve.

The Snowtime Inc. southern PA places (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) do NYE parties and skiing until 1 or 2 in the morning. I'd be surprised if a few other PA resorts don't do the same.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
The Snowtime Inc. southern PA places (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) do NYE parties and skiing until 1 or 2 in the morning. I'd be surprised if a few other PA resorts don't do the same.

Looks like Liberty is still doing the NYE thing, but Roundtop hasn't done it in a couple years. Not sure about Whitetail.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Last time I went beer shopping in Pa had to find a special building where all you could buy was beer by the case. Other choice was walk into a bar and get a six pack. Has Pa gotten any better since then?

That has changed in recent years. In fact the distributors (big special building where all you could buy was beer by the case) now can sell singles, six packs, growler fills and cases. Grocery stores can sell singles and six packs and 12-15 packs (if they have the right license which usually involves having some sort of "restaurant"). I think we are still limited to 192 ounces at the grocery store. You can also get wine in the stores with those licenses.

Our liquor laws are probably the worst in the country, even worse than Utah. But it has recently gotten slightly better.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Short answer is no. They close at 9 which is probably earlier then they did when you were there.

Blue has the best lighting I've seen (at least the ones that work, it had several out and large shadows last time I was there at night). It was good enough to ski the seeded bumps on Challenge, something I would not do on Asp or Cliffy at Camelback bumped up.

Speaking of bumps. My hope is the Camelback is a little more aggressive with the bumps this year. Last year I thought they kind of took a step backward. but I'll give them a slight break with a new GM and new people in Mountain Ops, but this year I'm breaking out the hammer again. Trees are not an option here( at least to me), so bumps are the generally the most challenging skiing PA offers. A good bump run makes our smaller PA mountains ski just a little bit bigger and act as a good practice arena for our friends up north and out west.

BTW a couple of new things at Camelback this year will be the renovated Cameltop (or what ever they name it now) and I think a new jazzed up restaurant in the Glen Lodge.
Yes, when I skied there, night skiing went till 10. Plus it didn't start until 12/26 and IIRC, ended 3/15...I am not sure of the ending date to be honest. This was also when The Hump was a gladed trail, Margies had a turn at the bottom, the Sullivan lift had a mid station.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where are they flying you into, ABE, Newark, Philly?

@BC. and any others going to be around to show them the area?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where are they flying you into, ABE, Newark, Philly?

@BC. and any others going to be around to show them the area?

@Jason Robertson....If your looking around on Saturday...stop by the Ski Corner and say hi...lots of product to browse through.....

Just ask for Brian....I’ll be in the back. We can at least give you some recs for places to eat while in town.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
@Jason Robertson....If your looking around on Saturday...stop by the Ski Corner and say hi...lots of product to browse through.....

Just ask for Brian....I’ll be in the back. We can at least give you some recs for places to eat while in town.

No doubt, if were in the area we will stop in.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They said they would fly us into scranton. I believe we will catch a puddle jumper from newark.
Reminds me when I was headed to Grand Rapids (from Detroit) to pick up Tricia....I an on this smaller Saan plane, two seats on one side of the aisle, one of the other. Some guy started a conversation with me. He said "So...is Grand Rapids your final destination?" I replied, "No, I am getting a connection there to Heathrow..." :roflmao::P:doh:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Reminds me when I was headed to Grand Rapids (from Detroit) to pick up Tricia....I an on this smaller Saan plane, two seats on one side of the aisle, one of the other. Some guy started a conversation with me. He said "So...is Grand Rapids your final destination?" I replied, "No, I am getting a connection there to Heathrow..." :roflmao::P:doh:

He probably figured you didn't see the dead end sign.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Inlaws, taking off on Wong Airlines from 'Teterboro, NJ' - with giant Cali Mountains in the backgaound
YES, we got a winner!!! You even got the airline AND airport.

Some great quotes from thar movie...

Serpentine, Shel, surpentine....

There are flames on my car!!!

Sponsor

Staff online