• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Not sure how I missed this until today, but I'm a Philly local and weekend warrior that gets in around 15-20 days a season in the area.
My shortest drive would be to Blue, but I'll happily drive an extra 1.5 hrs to Elk to get out of that clusterf*ck.
Elk is definitely my preferred mountain, but I make it a point to hit all the worthwhile mountains - like someone said, variety is the spice of life around here.
You have to mix it up or you'll get bored very quickly.
Anyway, welcome (if you decide to come this way).

We really do need to have a NE PA Pugski meet up this year. I'm sure we all have crossed paths or even shared a lift at some point.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
Im due for liners in my firearrows. They have around 130 days or so on them. Anywhere within a reasonable distance that you guys prefer for boot work?

there is another thread going on about this topic also. we got to alpina/940 boards in white haven. it's on rt 940 just before you get to jack frost mountain. dieter and kim run that shop and are great ppl. we've been going there for years and dieter is a *very* good fitter and knows his stuff.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
While some in the west and Northern New England get started, a little Pocono pre season stoke while we wait.

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
A little pre-season fun at Camelback last night. Ullr fest

IMG_3068.JPG

The sacrifice of ski's for a bountiful winter.

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

Ullr's reply

IMG_3060.JPG

Good times at the Thirsty Camel and

IMG_3107.JPG

a ski flick too. A lot of fun.

Question for other NE Pa skiers too. As the season commences should I would like to periodically update conditions, news etc. Should we keep this thread going or start a new one in the Resort section

Attachments

• IMG_3071.JPG
    IMG_3071.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 4

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
I grew up at the foot of Montage Mountain and instructed there for a season. Over three decades, I've had... easily... hundreds of skier days on that mountain. I love it. As a little kid, taking the lift to the top of the mountain and seeing all those lights in the valley below... it was magical. Five minutes up Montage Mountain Road and it was like being in a different world. That being said, whenever I return home, the mountain I choose to ski is...

...Blue Mountain*

Mostly because I love ripping groomers and doing lots of laps. 30-40k vertical is not really possible at Elk or Montage. That's a typical session at Blue Mountain. I agree that the quality of the vertical is marginally better at Elk. But you get, what, twice (?) as much skiing when you get to ride a high-speed lift to the top. I do like a Montage session; the lift rides give me a good chance to contemplate the meaning of life, write that novel, etc. But sitting on a lift all day is just not what I'm looking for. YMMV.

*Midweek mornings and Sunday nights only to avoid the crowds

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I grew up at the foot of Montage Mountain and instructed there for a season. Over three decades, I've had... easily... hundreds of skier days on that mountain. I love it. As a little kid, taking the lift to the top of the mountain and seeing all those lights in the valley below... it was magical. Five minutes up Montage Mountain Road and it was like being in a different world. That being said, whenever I return home, the mountain I choose to ski is...

...Blue Mountain*

Mostly because I love ripping groomers and doing lots of laps. 30-40k vertical is not really possible at Elk or Montage. That's a typical session at Blue Mountain. I agree that the quality of the vertical is marginally better at Elk. But you get, what, twice (?) as much skiing when you get to ride a high-speed lift to the top. I do like a Montage session; the lift rides give me a good chance to contemplate the meaning of life, write that novel, etc. But sitting on a lift all day is just not what I'm looking for. YMMV.

*Midweek mornings and Sunday nights only to avoid the crowds

I get what you are saying- if I could apply the same asterisk I would likely visit Blue much more frequently.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, definitely. If it's snowing though, I'm gonna head to Montage and lap White Lightning like 15 times in a row.

That’s where you’ll find me on a snow day if the roads are too bad to get to Elk....we call them Lightning laps......right side, left side, woods, right, left, woods, rinse and repeat.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Because I can only ski weekends most of the time, Montage for me is a better choice. The North Face is sweet.....no crowds and nice terrain.

If you can ever make it Monday to Wednesday (non-holidays), Montage has this amazing deal. $30 to ski literally all day! 9am to 9pm. I've never actually made it that far. But, wow!

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you can ever make it Monday to Wednesday (non-holidays), Montage has this amazing deal. $30 to ski literally all day! 9am to 9pm. I've never actually made it that far. But, wow!

Montage has great deals, all around. I have a season pass (no blackouts) for $299. Even if it's a crappy season and I don't get my money's worth, I am happy to give my dollars to Montage.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
you can ever make it Monday to Wednesday (non-holidays), Montage has this amazing deal. $30 to ski literally all day! 9am to 9pm. I've never actually made it that far. But, wow!

Never realized this. Geez only 20 min past Elk, got to try the place out. Been skiing for 13 years now and have never made it to Montage and it’s only 60 miles from my house. This years bucket list for sure