• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yuengling is gonna be nice, but i do miss the beer scene of ft collins...tough to beat
I suppose opinions on beers can vary as much as those on ski resorts! Yuengling is the house cheap beer, and I love our local beers Dogfish Head, Victory, and Dew Point. Victory has a brew pub in downtown Kennett Square and also serves in the beer garden at Longwood Garden if you ever get down our way. I'm sure others can alert you to their favorite PA micro-brews, there are plenty of good ones. The VT beer scene is awesome and I'll bring some back with me after trips since much of it is not readily available down here. My current rave is Zero Gravity Cone Head wheat IPA.

Zero-Gravity-Conehead-350x350.png

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
. @Ron had similar opinions to Phil, causing him to relocate to Steamboat, a somewhat drastic response.

not quite but a contributing factor. :) Its blasphemy I know, but its not ALL about skiing LOL. Our decision to move had about 25% to do with skiing, 25% to do with biking. People, vibe, mindset, and of course just how beautiful it is here make up the rest. Oh, and the NJ property taxes. :) We went from 12K per year to 3K.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
Im really into sours and wild beers, Berliner weiss, and beers like that. Sour and funky with some brett bite.
The skiing is really a plus. I dont mind traveling for skiing. Were really looking for good people, four seasons, and good mountain living....even if the mountains are only 2500’ tall, lol. We hunt, fish, hike, and camp. Its what we like to do. In the winter we love skiing and playing hockey. Nepa seems to have everything were looking for, alot like colorado did, but without the price tag of living on the front range.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yuengling is gonna be nice, but i do miss the beer scene of ft collins...tough to beat

Ft. Collins...huh...We should do a house swap...CSU is on my daughters final 5 list to go to school/swim.....lol
Used to be ft collins area, im in san antonio now.

Oh ok...forget it...lol...Don’t want to live in TX..:cool:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Agreed that Fort Collins has a hard-to-beat craft beer scene. PA is doing some craft beers, too.....breweries popping up all over, just not sure what’s up near Clark’s Summit.

NEPA is quieter and away from the rat race compared to points further south in PA.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
not quite but a contributing factor. :) Its blasphemy I know, but its not ALL about skiing LOL. Our decision to move had about 25% to do with skiing, 25% to do with biking. People, vibe, mindset, and of course just how beautiful it is here make up the rest. Oh, and the NJ property taxes. :) We went from 12K per year to 3K.

Good move, its getting worse. 2 words "The Murph" :doh: We are planning our escape more and more every day.

One more thought on Pocono skiing, sure beats hanging around north Jersey during the winter. Summer around here can be ok with the lake and the shore but winter leaves a lot to be desired.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Last time I went beer shopping in Pa had to find a special building where all you could buy was beer by the case. Other choice was walk into a bar and get a six pack. Has Pa gotten any better since then?

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Last time I went beer shopping in Pa had to find a special building where all you could buy was beer by the case. Other choice was walk into a bar and get a six pack. Has Pa gotten any better since then?

No nothing changed, beer store or restaurant. At restaurant you can buy by the six pack generally.
I live 1/4 mile from PA in NY and I buy most all my beer in PA . But I do get my beer at Endless Brewing, if ever on rt 29 between Montrose and NY boarder I highly recommend.If-fin your a IPA man. Any of the bombshell line is awesome

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I'm in SE New England but I have ski'd Elk.

Excellent hill, get there early to beat the goofy multi level parking arrangement or ski midweek.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bars had a limitation of being able to buy 144oz at a time...You could walk in and out of the bar 100 times but only able to buy 2 six packs at a time.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

As several have stated, buying beer is a little less restrictive, but, beer is pretty much sold by privetly owned "beer stores", and, by the case. At least there is competition, especially in more urban areas. Pa. major PITA is the Pa Liquor Control Board making sale of alcohol and wine limited to a very few state owned locations. Pa taxes on alcohol are high, I happen to live near NJ and Delaware, so we stock up there frequently.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
FWIW.... there are a lot of bottle shops, grocery stores, and now gas stations (i.e. Wawa) that sell a very good variety of craft brew. they all are capped at that 144 fl oz limit though. the beer/beverage distributors have been losing money b/c of this, and b/c of the micro breweries opening and selling their own stuff. as such, the distributors are now selling four and six packs to compete (capitalism for the win!). honestly, I very rarely go to a distributor b/c I don't want to buy a full case of beer all at once. PA beer and liquor laws are backassward, but at least they have improved.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I told you what a bar owner has to deal with with the PALCB....you would hit you head against a brick wall because it woud actualy feel better.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since I live on the PA/DE border, I do most of my shopping for libations at Costco and Total Wine in DE, and you can buy a large variety of bottled or canned Victory beers at their brew pub in Kennett Square. So I don't really feel the pain of the PA liquor laws too much.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
CT has our own share of stupid liquor laws. We can now buy liquor on Sundays but unless you want beer you still have to buy it from a package store, separate BJ's liquor outlet or a total wine type place. Maybe we should start a thread on booze laws and the stupid I mean unique ones that might be in each state ;).

I usually make a trip down that way to ski with a friend of mine. Last year around christmas we skied at Blue. This year I think it might be camelback. I'll reach out closer to that time to see if anyone wants to meet us.

Sponsor

Staff online