• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
Anyone here ski eastern PA? Montage, Elk, Boulder, Camelback?
Ive been trying to get back to colorado but have had a very very healthy offer that would require relocation to the poconos. Just trying to get a feel for the area recreationally and more importantly, how it skis, lol. Thanks

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
We will probably be in the scranton area. Ive been looking at montage and elk as local options. We spent a few years on the fromt range skiing summit county mostly. Luv, Eldora, Copper, WP, ect. Were not expecting anything like any of those hills, but were mostly curious about the best options for the area. I saw where montage has 100% snowmaking and 100% night skiing. Thats pretty nice and would be mere minutes from where we would be living.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me know if you need advice on neighborhoods/school districts as well.

Spend the winter trying out which one you like the best for you and your family:

Local Hills
-Montage
-Elk
-Jack Fost/Big Boulder
-Camelback

Day Trips
-Hunter
-Windham
-Bellayre
-Plattekill

Weekend Trips
-Gore
-Whiteface
-anywhere in VT/NH

I spend school snow days at either Montage or Elk....and Sundays at Hunter....multiple trips up to VT...and a couple trips out West every winter....so I get around so to speak.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ive been trying to get back to colorado but have had a very very healthy offer that would require relocation to the poconos. Just trying to get a feel for the area recreationally and more importantly, how it skis, lol. Thanks
Live in Northern New Jersey. Keep a Camelback unlimited pass going on 12 years now.

45 minutes door to door. We pretty much raised our kids there. Our daughter started teaching as a Jr Instructor while our son was a member of the Camelback race team up till college. It was a great decade, met many wonderful people and while my wife and I are pretty much empty nesters now we still keep the pass (we have Ikon for NE and out west) and I get about 20+ days a season there. I really consider it to be my winter gym.

The mountain is really a long ridge (kind of a thumb sticking off the Pocono Plateau) with trails spill off the top the entire length. VD is 800 one end and about 650 on the other. The trails aren't long but some some nice pitch at the top and when the whole mountain is open its pretty fun. To their credit they have a massive snowmaking system and they have always (at least the years that I've been there) gotten the mountain 100% open for the majority of the season.

It can get busy on the weekends. Pays to get there early. One of the bonuses of the Unlimited Pass is the first tracks program where the 1st hour (7:30 -8:30) is pass holders only. You can yo-yo 10-11 runs before JQ public gets out. We try to take advantage of that as much as possible. The real crowds really don't materialize till about 11 so even on the busiest weekends you can ski most of the morning pretty easily.

We can't and don't want to travel every weekend so the place is very handy to us. Spend all holiday periods there as I'm not going to travel hours to stand in line somewhere when I can do it there just 45 min from home. Its also nice for sneaking up to on a weekday when its empty.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Live in Northern New Jersey. Keep a Camelback unlimited pass going on 12 years now.

45 minutes door to door. We pretty much raised our kids there. Our daughter started teaching as a Jr Instructor while our son was a member of the Camelback race team up till college. It was a great decade, met many wonderful people and while my wife and I are pretty much empty nesters now we still keep the pass (we have Ikon for NE and out west) and I get about 20+ days a season there. I really consider it to be my winter gym.

The mountain is really a long ridge (kind of a thumb sticking off the Pocono Plateau) with trails spill off the top the entire length. VD is 800 one end and about 650 on the other. The trails aren't long but some some nice pitch at the top and when the whole mountain is open its pretty fun. To their credit they have a massive snowmaking system and they have always (at least the years that I've been there) gotten the mountain 100% open for the majority of the season.

It can get busy on the weekends. Pays to get there early. One of the bonuses of the Unlimited Pass is the first tracks program where the 1st hour (7:30 -8:30) is pass holders only. You can yo-yo 10-11 runs before JQ public gets out. We try to take advantage of that as much as possible. The real crowds really don't materialize till about 11 so even on the busiest weekends you can ski most of the morning pretty easily.

We can't and don't want to travel every weekend so the place is very handy to us. Spend all holiday periods there as I'm not going to travel hours to stand in line somewhere when I can do it there just 45 min from home. Its also nice for sneaking up to on a weekday when its empty.

Reactions: BC.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Large Squirrel @Wendy @Olesya C and I are eastern PA skiers. We usually ski one weekend day each week, usually Jack Frost or Montage. I'm at work and on my phone, but I can come back later and give an overview of the local mountains once I'm home. Or maybe one of them will want to chime in?? You're welcome to meet up with us some weekend!

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
Absolutely. It sure will be nice being able to ski at will again. Hell, it was a complete pain in the ass skiing the 70 corridor and we still managed around 40 days a season having to ski weekends and holidays.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_1328.JPG

Cliffhanger @ Camelback

IMG_2189.JPG

Sullivan Quad and Front 4 @ Camelback

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I live down towards the PA/DE border, so tended to ski Blue and Jack Frost mostly, but really like Elk better than Montage or Camelback if I'm going to drive further. However, I now have a Killington pass for extended trips and don't get to the Poconos as much anymore. From Scranton, VT is not that far and you miss the north New Jersey traffic that I typically run I into.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Skier
I think elk would be a whopping 20mins from where were looking, lol. Throw a rock at montage. All our skiing has been out west, im gonna have to get my ski the east mountain hit list started it looks like, lol.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
man, you're doing this all wrong! ppl move FROM pa TO the west ;) def a good call to look around clarks summit rather than in the valley. much nicer town, better school district (abington heights), a little higher elevation.

@tinymoose and I are pass holders at montage. we like it there b/c it's uncrowded, it has a nice variety of terrain (including some legit steeps), 1000' vert and the base lodge has decent food/beer options.

Jack Frost is our other usual haunt. not nearly as tall as montage (500' vert), but you can ski anywhere inbounds, so that's where we get to do most of our tree skiing in PA. JF also has it's own little microclimate and it typically gets snow when the other hills get rain (or nothing at all). it's good for a solid half day of skiing in normal east coast conditions....lots of nooks and crannies to discover on days when they get dumped on.

Elk mtn is OK, nothing really challenging there; it's basically a good mtn for intermediates. unless their signature bump run (tunkhannock) actually has bumps on it, the advanced skier will easily get bored after a few runs. the base lodge is out-dated and does not have adequate capacity to handle the typical visitor traffic there....and that's saying something b/c Elk is in the middle of nowhere and is usually not crowded. also, the lift tix at Elk seem a bit over priced for what you are getting. oh, and they don't allow skiing in the trees and will pull your lift ticket.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Learn the words "frozen granular" because that is what will be under your skis. ogwink
My experience? You will ski everything and maybe in 1 run. Yes "Pocono Pavement" is special, but I have also done some really good and fun skiing there too.

Good snowmaking, (and generous base building) earlier springs (Late feb - early April) while New England freeze/thaws," Pokes" grow corn.

Certainly not the end all be all, of skiing but a great place get out exercise and practice. I use it to condition for trips up north and ski weeks out west.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Elk is the anti-customer service mountain. They line the trails with Norway spruce, which looks nice, but acts like a fence for getting into the trees. If you do get into the trees, they will pull your pass (as mentioned). The parking situation sucks. You have to take a shuttle to get up to the base lodge. They do have parking right next to the north quad/north double, but they discourage hopping in and out of the ski area. It would be nice if they put a ticket booth there so you did not have to go to the main lodge. The terrain is quite fun and there seems to be less people on the mountain when compared to the other Pa ski areas in the area.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Elk is the anti-customer service mountain. They line the trails with Norway spruce, which looks nice, but acts like a fence for getting into the trees. If you do get into the trees, they will pull your pass (as mentioned). The parking situation sucks. You have to take a shuttle to get up to the base lodge. They do have parking right next to the north quad/north double, but they discourage hopping in and out of the ski area. It would be nice if they put a ticket booth there so you did not have to go to the main lodge. The terrain is quite fun and there seems to be less people on the mountain when compared to the other Pa ski areas in the area.
I used to get to Elk 3 days a season during my son's racing season. As far as PA goes, yea, best Mt, best terrain, probably best snow (7 Springs out by Pitt may argue that), but completely off my radar now. The things you mention, so true, but that's not the only reason.

From where I live it's an hour past Camelback, the Catskills are basically just as close in another direction, but even then, if I'm getting out on that NY Thruway I'm going all the way to Vermont.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Elk is my home mountain only because I am close. I get the night pass and get 3 to 4 nights a week in. Parking is not a issue as I park up top in evenings, I never have to wait more then 1 deep for lift. You basically have the whole hill to yourself and do laps all night.
As far as weekends I stay right away from Elk or I should say every place, I am not very patient with lift lines and dodging people. Any day skiing is done mid week and I take the day off from work

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jason Robertson

Montage is a good bet....it is cheap, friendly, and a super easy drive. Elk has some nice terrain, but is indeed the “anti customer service” mountain. Jack Frost (a bit to the south) has a high elevation, and thus generally better conditions, is also friendly, but has short runs (but lots of glades).

There have been weekends when VT friends complain of ice, while we enjoy pretty nice conditions. Of course, we don’t get the snowfall VT does (usually).

I hear ya about I-70. The area has grown exponentially. When I was in grad school there in the late 90’s, we would leave Boulder at 5:30 to get to Winter Park, and that was before I-70 had so much traffic. The last time I was there, I couldn’t believe the ski traffic on that interstate. In PA, skier cars are the minority, lol.

Sponsor

Staff online