• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I rarely do as it’s generally the worst snow conditions of the day with the coldest temps of the day. Although crowds are generally lighter, so that’s a plus. And if it’s a storm night, that is fun.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
So does anyone actually night ski? Seems neat

Snowboarded at Mountain High in Southern California a couple evenings eons ago. Boarded years ago at Montage at night and skied at Blue last December, had a blast. A midweek evening at Blue was sooo..much...fun...... We skied all afternoon til 8 or 9pm. I plan to do the same at Camelback this coming December.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
justvsaw where jack frost and hunter are on the same no blackout pass. What other multi mountain passes are running around for east skiing? We always ran rocky mountain super pass. At one point it had eldora, winter park, copper, and says at steamboat. That pass coupled with a loveland pass card pretty much covered the bases coming off the front range.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Big Boulder, Jack Frost and Hunter are a part of the Peak Pass system which also includes Mount Snow in Vermont and Attitash, Crotched and Wildcat in New Hampshire. There are several levels.

https://www.peakpass.com/#pass-overview

There's the big multi state/continent passes such as IKON and Epic and Mountain Collective.

There's also the New England Pass that includes Sunday River, Loon and Sugarloaf.

http://www.newenglandpass.com/

Places like Bromley in Vermont and Jiminy Peak in western Mass are owned by the same company so I believe a pass to one gives you both.

I'm sure there are others.

Last edited:

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I rarely do as it’s generally the worst snow conditions of the day with the coldest temps of the day.
Can't agree more. Night is for après ski.

Snowboarded at Mountain High in Southern California a couple evenings eons ago. Boarded years ago at Montage at night and skied at Blue last December, had a blast. A midweek evening at Blue was sooo..much...fun...... We skied all afternoon til 8 or 9pm. I plan to do the same at Camelback this coming December.

Love my home bump but the lighting at Camelback leaves a lot to be desired.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier

My son lived on the southern tier (Johnson City) for 3 years and taught at Greek Peak, always at night.

He told me lights were good and at times the skiing was excellent. Dunno about PA Iet the locals chime in. Greek is doable up I 81 tho.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Of my 30+ days a year probably 25 are night skiing maybe more. I love it for a few reasons, no crowd and I mean no crowd. Gets me out of house for the night as I climb the walls all winter. I think it also made me a better skier quicker because the hill is pretty skied out by the time I get there. So you learn to ski slop, crud, scraped off hard pack and of coarse ice. Actually I prefer to ski the hill nights all beat up then groomed. A little herbal... some tunes lightly playing in helmet speaker plus a full moon....
Well it’s heaven.

TS
Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
Of my 30+ days a year probably 25 are night skiing maybe more. I love it for a few reasons, no crowd and I mean no crowd. Gets me out of house for the night as I climb the walls all winter. I think it also made me a better skier quicker because the hill is pretty skied out by the time I get there. So you learn to ski slop, crud, scraped off hard pack and of coarse ice. Actually I prefer to ski the hill nights all beat up then groomed. A little herbal... some tunes lightly playing in helmet speaker plus a full moon....
Well it’s heaven.
This^^^^^

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I like night skiing - did it a few times in high school and college... and a couple of times the last few years. On a weeknight with no one around it can be really quiet and still and enjoyable to just hear your skis and nothing else. (The "no one around" is resort dependent, of course.)

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've only skied at night at Blue a few times on big group trips when the kids would not throw in the towel. Not my thing after a long day. Elk has limited lighted trails. JF doesn't light any, but it's nearby companion, Big Boulder, does if park is your thing. A few groomed black trails for regular skiing and it's on the pass you're looking at.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Stowe, Keystone, Bretton Woods, Bolton Valley, Mt. Tom, Sundown, Powder Ridge and raced at Mt Southington rounds out my night skiing list. Always willing to add but full moon and headlamps now rule.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only skied at night at Blue a few times on big group trips when the kids would not throw in the towel. Not my thing after a long day. Elk has limited lighted trails. JF doesn't light any, but it's nearby companion, Big Boulder, does if park is your thing. A few groomed black trails for regular skiing and it's on the pass you're looking at.

Yes Elk has limited night skiing but I make the best of it. There are ways I make it more enjoyable buy skiing the same 4 trails by skiing each edge, left then right. Most nights I get in 12 runs At about 1k Vertical per pop , it enough for me. If I get bored I head to Greek Peak (when they have good snow)and there is many different ways to ski that hill. They have much more acreage for sure but in a bad snow year it’s lame. They really need to up the anity on their snow making ability’s. I’d prefer to ski nights at Greek but most times very limited, where I feel Elk prides it’s self on it abilities and hammer the hill every chance.

Sponsor

Staff online