• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Several hours in Utah, where to ski on the Ikon

• Alta

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Snowbird

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Brighton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solitude

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Deer Valley

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you can call yourself Advanced or Low Advanced;
If you were to sign up for an intermediate ski lesson; for sure the instructors would kick you up a group after review :)

Would vote for you to get to the top just to see it all; then perhaps hang out around Gad and Littlecloud chairs.

Another good decision is you can join the free mountain tour, which you can drop out of any time you want

A lot of terrain is through avy control gates that are intimidating and some may be just to moderate terrain; while others go to expert terrain and you cannot tell from the entrance.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Poll is flawed, as you need to eventually go ski all of them; So it really depends how much strength and energy you have; and what YOU want to ski that day. :)

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am going to be the contrarian. If he only has 2/3 of a day, why not go back to Brighton or Solitude, where he's been before so he can spend his time skiing, not trying to find his way around. Then save the LCC for a time when he can put together three to five days.

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
I would recommend Alta and ski Supreme chair a bunch. Alta doesn’t designate any double blacks. They do have a few blacks as regular runs and then many blacks that are through gates in controlled areas. All the marked runs are pretty approachable.

Reactions: BC.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am going to be the contrarian. If he only has 2/3 of a day, why not go back to Brighton or Solitude, where he's been before so he can spend his time skiing, not trying to find his way around. Then save the LCC for a time when he can put together three to five days.

But by the same token he takes the mountain tour and gets a quick see from all the trails; so on his next trip he doesn't burn a day figuring it out then.

Just depends if the goal is to optimize and maximize total time skiing, or is more fun gained by smaller amount more interesting "new" skiing at snowbird|alta|dv.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
My Dad liked Snowbird. If he liked it, anyone would.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let the FatMap app be your friend to guide you around the mountain.

I would avoid DV as it is just groomers lined by multi-million dollar houses with few trees to ski.

LCC and BCC will be your friends
i disagree,
Last year I skied some great trees and powder covered mogul runs at DV.
It’s just that they get a bit less snow, and I’ve been there once before, so the novelty choice would be LCC or, for knowing my way around it would be BCC.
That said, I do plan on going to DV if its snowing, since i don’t want to risk missing my flight due to traffic jams in the canyon roads.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What is the controlled acces terrain at Alta?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^^ Where? When?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I go to alta snowbird every year with a mixed ski level group and all the intermediate skies like Alta better, and most like the Supreme chair best, varied terrian, fun trails

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I voted Alta, but there's a case for not using up one of your Ikon days for an abbreviated visit to an unfamiliar mountain.
Maybe just enjoy BCC and save that Ikon day for your later SLC stay.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Meanwhile, I'm reliably informed there's a plan to inundate DV with a flash crowd of Epic pass snowboarders who will gather at the top of the McConkey's 6-pack and thrash their way across the entire resort, with pickup at the bottom of Jordanelle. It seems a sufficient number of DV lifties have been suborned to enable the needed uphill rides. They'll then file a class-action suit citing squatters rights to win permanent access. This is all being facilitated and financed quietly by George Soros as part of his campaign to further democratize sport and remove it from the hands of the entitled classes.
As a skier who more than once has been saved by friendly snowboarders from a long uphill trek to retrieve gear from a yard sale, I applaud our new DV overlords.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
My Dad liked Snowbird. If he liked it, anyone would.

But, then...

The road being closed when we arrived at SLC, he got us onto a helicopter to Snowbird. When we arrived, we tossed our bags in the lobby and went out to a practically deserted resort.

But, then again, later that week, he also consumed the raw clams that I warned him against, having been able to smell them from across the table. He paid for that.

Just providing full disclosure.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
:roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online