• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Several hours in Utah, where to ski on the Ikon

• Alta

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Snowbird

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Brighton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Solitude

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Deer Valley

Votes: 4 15.4%

• Total voters

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Monday Februry 4 I will have 2/3 a day to ski (catching a plane back in the early evening).
  • We have an Ikon pass.
  • We skied several days at Brighton and Solitude last year.
  • My wife and I are staunchly intermediate skiers, with no interest (or ability) for the extreme stuff.

Do you think it’s worthwhile to go to Alta or Snowbird for such a short time? I have heard people describe it as “have someone show you around”.

It’s on my list for sure, but I have only 2/3 of a day to ski Utah resorts that weekend, so I worry that going to Alta or Snowbird, I spend more time staying in liftlines and trying to figure out where to go, than actually skiing the good stuff. or would it be better to go back to Big Cottonwood Canyon since I know where to go and can get as much good skiing in as possible?

I am considering making another, longer trip in mid April.

What’s your suggestion and why?

Last edited:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Yes, It's worth it,

Just look at a ski area map, pick your start point and a few runs from there. BEFORE you go.
You don't need to ride the gondola first and then search for a way down.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely worth it -- esp. since you already know Brighton and Solitude. Either Alta or Snowbird will ski much "bigger" than the BCC resorts, with less time on lifts. I think CalG makes a good point; study a map first. Alta is more open and visibly friendly, I think, but they don't typically groom quite as much as Snowbird. SB seems steeper and may appear or be harder...but they do groom a bigger percentage.
Either one will leave you wanting more.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And which one, Alta or Snowbird?

Our favorite is interesting terrain, trees, rocks moguls, curves, dips and twists.
Our wish would be powder ;-), but it’s not looking likely at the moment.

Not likely to ski grooomers much.

We are slow skiers, both in skiing speed and as far as stopping and resting, ahum I mean: enjoying the view.

Last edited:

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Whichever. For 2/3 of a day, you won't have time to know enough of a difference. That said, that Alta seems more open. So I guess if vision is good, Alta. If it's poor, Snowbird.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, if included ikon tix; go for it.
I will recommend to go Alta though if you're both skiers and need to get an idea of layout and scope out lines for next trip.

From your description and my relatively shorter experience, the groomers at Snowbird maybe a bit uneven so may wear you out; while Alta will have beautiful cruisers that maybe less work for you.

Be careful to check weather though, there is potential for snow showers on Feb4th, don't cut your timing too tight;

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
oh, thought you wanted just cruising intermediate stuff. If you do want the interesting terrain try snowbird then! but bring your big mtn skis that can eat up chop and unevenness; even if you're sticking to the trails.

It doesn't matter since this is just a short taste; eventually you need to put on your season goals to get back to both.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't need to ride the gondola first and then search for a way down.

Neither Alta or Snowbird has a gondola.....so not sure what that actually means.

By the sounds of your self proclaimed abilities....I suggest Alta.....Check out Snowbird next time after you see what Alta has to offer.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Sure
"An enclosed car attached to a cable mechanically lifted up the side of a mountain; an enclosed ski lift; a cable car."
i.e. a gondola.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
:yeah: Even if you have to purchase lift tickets you should ski AltaBird. To catch Mineral Basin in good weather is a memorable feast in itself. There are so many routes down either area that will live behind the eyes of a reasonable intermediate jor many years. You have got to ski Little Cottonwood Canyon given the chance.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
regarding skill level, I think absolutely everyone who sees me ski would agree on intermediate. I am way beyond beginner, since I can ski some steep stuff and easier moguls, but nowhere near expert since I fall back on poor habits in challenging terrain, and can’t even think of skiing the extreme stuff like the Honeycomb Chutes at Solitude.

The other way to look at is this:
Beginner terrain is green and blue groomers. Expert terrain on ski maps is double black diamond. I am happiest in between the two:
Mostly Interesting blue steepness ungroomed terrain, single black terrain and every once in a while some double black stuff if it’s short and has perfect snow.

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Supreme chair at alta is a bit short but has the interesting terrain you're looking for. Collins is good for max vert. If there's fresh snow I would be hitting up bcc though as lcc can be a circus even on a Monday.

Sponsor