• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Interesting to watch the activity on the mountain.

- Chairs are already taken off Molly Hogan in anticipation of its replacement this summer
- Cats are working the base area to stockpile snow at the BMX
- Snow fences have been moved into position in Zuma for next fall already as they do that with snow cats before it melts out

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It looks overcast at A-Basin today.

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 8.46.36 AM.png
@David Chaus ^^^^ Molly Hogan (chairs have been removed.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier

Moving snow around at the base. They are still hanging in there. They may be able to open after Memorial Day weekend if the governor allows ski areas to reopen.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes the 1st step is the Governor not extending the ski ban. Ultimately it's Summit County a.k.a Summit County will let him know if they want A Basin to open. I thought it would have been better to open when there was more than 1 place in the mix. Now it's just A Basin. There is all kinds of speculation flying around about different scenarios that may happen. Key word being speculation or rumors or just plain bs.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes the 1st step is the Governor not extending the ski ban. Ultimately it's Summit County a.k.a Summit County will let him know if they want A Basin to open. I thought it would have been better to open when there was more than 1 place in the mix. Now it's just A Basin. There is all kinds of speculation flying around about different scenarios that may happen. Key word being speculation or rumors or just plain bs.
A-Basin has to first get past a governor that was willing to close down ALL of skiing on a Sunday of a big weekend. So, first the state has to allow resorts to open...then Summit County has to. It is going to come down to does the benefit out weigh the cost (risk)?

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
A-Basin has to first get past a governor that was willing to close down ALL of skiing on a Sunday of a big weekend
The environment at the time of closing was very different than the environment of opening now.

Back then, Colorado was terribly worried about visitors infecting the locals, which was a valid concern. After all, I bet there were many New Yorkers amongst the spring breakers. (Even I was riding the NY subway a mere 10 days prior). That’s not even counting the European visitors from Italy and France. Big worries back then, for good reason.

Reopening now, there will not be many visitors from New York. None from Europe. So the concern is only Denverites.

I hope they are allowed to open, as a guinea pig to test how skiing will be like for next season.

But I know the whole thing might be a political mine field. Being a governor isn’t an easy job.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The environment at the time of closing was very different than the environment of opening now.

Back then, Colorado was terribly worried about visitors infecting the locals, which was a valid concern. After all, I bet there were many New Yorkers amongst the spring breakers. (Even I was riding the NY subway a mere 10 days prior). That’s not even counting the European visitors from Italy and France. Big worries back then, for good reason.

Reopening now, there will not be many visitors from New York. None from Europe. So the concern is only Denverites.

I hope they are allowed to open, as a guinea pig to test how skiing will be like for next season.

But I know the whole thing might be a political mine field. Being a governor isn’t an easy job.
Baldy opened up and operated successfully for a week or so.
They had RSVP ticket sales, limited people on the hill at any given time, no lodges were open for co-mingling.....
You can look at it here.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Timberline Lodge will be another data point tomorrow. You can only reserve the day before. They are sold out for tomorrow (5/15). I couldn't find out how much a day pass is as the page was broken when I tried.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Timberline Lodge will be another data point tomorrow. You can only reserve the day before. They are sold out for tomorrow (5/15). I couldn't find out how much a day pass is as the page was broken when I tried.

Timberline thread on the reopening is here:

And a more general thread about resorts opening:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Things are moving forward. Looks like Wed, the 27th, might be possible. Still a work in progress but moving in a good way for those still wanting to ski/ride.

"Vargo said the Board of Health has expressed interest to the governor’s office in the ski areas opening for spring skiing and is drafting amendments to the local public health order that would include a Wednesday, May 27, opening date."

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/breckenridge-will-not-reopen-for-spring-skiing-a-basin-makes-plans-to-reopen-with-state-permission/

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Things are moving forward. Looks like Wed, the 27th, might be possible. Still a work in progress but moving in a good way for those still wanting to ski/ride.

"Vargo said the Board of Health has expressed interest to the governor’s office in the ski areas opening for spring skiing and is drafting amendments to the local public health order that would include a Wednesday, May 27, opening date."

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/breckenridge-will-not-reopen-for-spring-skiing-a-basin-makes-plans-to-reopen-with-state-permission/

giphy.gif

Sponsor

Staff online