• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking that I'm normally planning things for the annual Arapahoe Basin week in May, but we're grounded.
In the meantime, Al posts this blog that made me say... Ahhhhhhhh
Take a moment to appreciate the beauty in the mountains. Be well!
4-4-20 1.jpg

Do I wish I were skiing there? Sure
Do I get why we're not? Sure

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm glad he posted that. It give me some hope, makes me feel good, reminds me of all the good times we have had there even though I know it's just not happening this year. I hope they do reopen this season even if it’s only for a day. Going to miss you all, stay safe. 0C331A09-AB73-4F83-9879-FE3782E41AE6.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This got me looking through images from Arapahoe Basin. Time to revisit some Trip Reports, eh?
Starting with this nice article from @Jim Kenney

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
My annual A-Basin pilgrimage was supposed to have been this past weekend. Like others its been a spring tradition for us f in April for about 15 years now. It always been such a good "night cap" to ski season and my informal last-hurrah that gets me amped up for all things spring.
Last year there was something unique about sitting in the 6th Alley after a day of ripping pow and watching the Masters and having a beer.

First year since 1996 I will not have made it to the Basin.
The only other season I missed this trip was the year I tore my ACL, the past several weeks kind of reminds.

We'll be back Al and crew!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Snip from the blog:
I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is still a lot of time and we will not give up on trying to re-open. If it makes sense to re-open and if our community is ready for us to re-open, we will re-open. This closure has forced us to change and re-think many issues. No doubt the pot will be sweetened for 2020-21 season pass renewals. Please bear with us as we work through the very challenging months ahead.
4-6-20%2B1.jpg

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
AL at ABasin gives us some hope and the news last night suggested some relaxing of quarantine rules may be coming. A last ski trip in May would certainly be welcome but we still have to think about risk, crowds, etc. Time will tell.
Here is to good health to all on this forum.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
AL at ABasin gives us some hope and the news last night suggested some relaxing of quarantine rules may be coming. A last ski trip in May would certainly be welcome but we still have to think about risk, crowds, etc. Time will tell.
If and that is a big IF A-basin does reopen. With it being very well the only place in Colorado open combined with the pent-up desire for people to ski plus being on the Ikon Pass? A trifecta of disaster. There will be no social distancing, no seperation in lift lines and the tailgaiting scene and The Beach will be overrun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I like Al's optimism. It must very very tough for him to be looking at an empty basin full of snow.

I foresee that the basin will open first to uphill traffic only. Then they might start spinning lifts if things progress well but will maintain all the buildings and facilities closed. (bathrooms only maybe?). After that (again if things go well) then 100% operation might be possible. Is there time? Its gonna be tight.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug great points. Right now the ski resort/area closure order is until April 30th. Who knows if Gov. Polis will extend it. As you say and @Ken_R said in the CO thread it will most likely be a :poo:show if or when it opens.

The only other place that possibly could be open is Breck. To me, and I very well could be wrong, the message from VR and if they would reopen Breck seemed to indicate they might.

From VR: "Given the current situation involving the impact of coronavirus (COVID-19) on our communities, we have now made a decision that our North American resorts and retail stores will remain closed for the 2019-20 winter ski season. Dependent on the situation with COVID-19, and pending weather conditions, we will consider reopening Breckenridge in Colorado, Heavenly in Lake Tahoe and Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia in late April/early May."

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to Mammoth would be a no brainer.

We'd have to really weigh a lot of factors if Breckenridge or the Basin reopen and Mammoth doesn't.

Not that I expect it. But I can certainly hope.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The only other place that possibly could be open is Breck. To me, and I very well could be wrong, the message from VR and if they would reopen Breck seemed to indicate they might.

Timberline Lodge in Oregon (Mt Hood), has plans to re-open at some TBD date. The regular ski season usually goes thru the end of May and the summer season goes thru August. So they may have time..... A-Basin and Breck are not the only late-season options.

https://www.timberlinelodge.com/coronavirus-updates

Timberline is fortunate to have the longest ski season in North America. As such, pass privileges will be added to the end of the winter/spring season. At this time, there are no details on when skiing and snowboarding can resume, but when the time is right, we will give you the best we have. As we are confident in reopening with extended days, no refunds will be given on any pass or lift ticket product at this time.

For when re-opening seems right, we have developed different operational scenarios. In order to implement proper social distancing measures, we are leaning toward a limited services model. Simply put, this would mean the ski lifts are running but the Wy’East Day Lodge is closed. There would be Ski Patrol services, bathroom facilities, and lift tickets being sold at outside ticket windows. While nothing is finalized, this seems like the option providing the best guest experience while promoting exercise, outdoor recreation, and healthy environments.

Stay tuned here and on social media for updates. We at Timberline hope you stay well and active.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well here 2000 miles away we're under a "stay-at-home" order until June 10th. I would be surprised if other states didn't follow suit. And sorry for the negativity, but it's hard for me to imagine any place opening before June. And I would hope no one travels from far away to go there if they do open; That they could limit it somehow. I think we need gradual relaxation of things - not "it's open, everyone have at it!" lest we go back into lockdown.

Reactions: RJS
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My heart wants to hit A-Basin if they open again. I sooooo want to ski, and A-Basin always delivers.
But...(don't you hate when there's a but?) I'm skeptical that its a good idea under the current global circumstances.
Wait and see.

Sponsor

Staff online