• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2020 K2 Mindbender 99Ti

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is some fun stoke!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Philpug : Cage Match request.

K2 Mindbender 99ti vs J Skis Masterblast 96.

Interested in how these two have evolved from the Prophet pedigree that both J and K2 were associated with.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I was really surprised at the weight of the Mindbender 99 ti. It's very close to my Head Monster 98's ('17/'18). I've heard that the Mindbender is playful and fun. I certainly wouldn't describe the Monsters in those terms (heavy damp charger). Seems a bit counterintuitive. Best of both worlds?
2165 & 2211 K2 Mindbender 108Ti, 186 cm (19/20)
2311 & 2342 K2 Mindbender 99Ti, 184 cm (19/20)
2344 & 2367 J Skis Masterblaster, 187 cm (16/17-18/19)
2373 & 2397 Head Monster 98, 184 cm (17/18)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was really surprised at the weight of the Mindbender 99 ti. It's very close to my Head Monster 98's ('17/'18). I've heard that the Mindbender is playful and fun. I certainly wouldn't describe the Monsters in those terms (heavy damp charger). Seems a bit counterintuitive. Best of both worlds?
2165 & 2211 K2 Mindbender 108Ti, 186 cm (19/20)
2311 & 2342 K2 Mindbender 99Ti, 184 cm (19/20)
2344 & 2367 J Skis Masterblaster, 187 cm (16/17-18/19)
2373 & 2397 Head Monster 98, 184 cm (17/18)
Yes, K2 didn't follow anyone/anything with the design of the Mindbender specifically bucking "the light is right" trend. Much of that playfulness comes with the shape of the ski. The Mindbender is 138-99-123 where the comparable Head Monster is 135-98-110, the more shape, yes 3mm makes a difference in where it is and more the balanced flex and gratual tip and tail rise adds to the enjoyment.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, K2 didn't follow anyone/anything with the design of the Mindbender specifically bucking "the light is right" trend. Much of that playfulness comes with the shape of the ski. The Mindbender is 138-99-123 where the comparable Head Monster is 135-98-110, the more shape, yes 3mm makes a difference in where it is and more the balanced flex and gratual tip and tail rise adds to the enjoyment.
This is something that I noticed with the Mindbender Alliance, even though women's skis tend to be made lighter, this Alliance version is not light, but it is incredibly fun.

ridikilous

Booting up
Skier
Skied 3 days on these (5'9, 165lb, 184cm) this weekend. Groomers at keystone, powder at vail, steeps at A-basin. Feels like a really great ski so far. Powerful, damp and excellent edge hold. Really amazing in crud/chopped up powder/small bumps…the weight powers through and it does not get pushed around. The mount (-11) is very traditional feels quite far back...there is a lot of ski to control in front. This can make bumps a little tricky and you really need to concentrate on staying forward and over the ski. You can end up “backseat” pretty easily because there is little tolerance for how far back you can be before losing significant control. Overall I really enjoy these and they feel like a more cambered, powerful Enforcer 100. I am interested in how they ski at +1-3cm from the recommended line.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skied 3 days on these (5'9, 165lb, 184cm) this weekend. Groomers at keystone, powder at vail, steeps at A-basin. Feels like a really great ski so far. Powerful, damp and excellent edge hold. Really amazing in crud/chopped up powder/small bumps…the weight powers through and it does not get pushed around. The mount (-11) is very traditional feels quite far back...there is a lot of ski to control in front. This can make bumps a little tricky and you really need to concentrate on staying forward and over the ski. You can end up “backseat” pretty easily because there is little tolerance for how far back you can be before losing significant control. Overall I really enjoy these and they feel like a more cambered, powerful Enforcer 100. I am interested in how they ski at +1-3cm from the recommended line.
I am finding the ski skis it's full length, even a tad on the long side. I (5'11" 195lb) am skiing the 177cm and it skis much more like a 180 Bonafide than a 177 Enforcer. For your size...in this ski...give the 177 a couple of runs.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, K2 didn't follow anyone/anything with the design of the Mindbender specifically bucking "the light is right" trend.

Please, please let this concept succeed in the marketplace, for the good of all!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please, please let this concept succeed in the marketplace, for the good of all!
To say that the Mindbenders are the most important skis for them for this century, I am not sure it is an understatement. As I have said, the Charger collection is as good as any ski from any manufacturer offered in that segment..the Mindbenders will be the face of K2 for the next 10 years and the need to be "all that and more".

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am finding the ski skis it's full length, even a tad on the long side. I (5'11" 195lb) am skiing the 177cm and it skis much more like a 180 Bonafide than a 177 Enforcer. For your size...in this ski...give the 177 a couple of runs.

I would have thought for sure that Phil would be on the 184 at his H/W, not the 177, considering the not insignificant rise & rocker -> good to know to not size up.

ridikilous

Booting up
Skier
I agree that it skis true to length. The tips rise quite gradually until you get out towards the end. This is in contrast to the enforcer that rises much faster in the rockered tip area. So it feels like the ski puts down a lot more edge if you are carving, which I like.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
To say that the Mindbenders are the most important skis for them for this century, I am not sure it is an understatement. As I have said, the Charger collection is as good as any ski from any manufacturer offered in that segment..the Mindbenders will be the face of K2 for the next 10 years and the need to be "all that and more".

Very high praise indeed. I'm impressed. I know that you had a lot of input into this ski, but, now that you've skied the production model, would you have any further suggestions to improve it? "I love the ski, but..."

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ they should have Phil redo the top-sheets -> he has the resume to do so ( Hart Pulse was his design IIRC ) :thumb:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Very high praise indeed. I'm impressed. I know that you had a lot of input into this ski, but, now that you've skied the production model, would you have any further suggestions to improve it? "I love the ski, but..."

Honestly, I didn't have a lot of input..I was part of the flex test last Spring...rare that media is involved at any point is the testing process. It was a leap of faith on their end that I wouldn't say anything and while it was tough...I didn't.

As far as improving it? Yes, the production graphics are understated but look good. I do wish the red base made it to production though.

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Honestly, I didn't have a lot of input..I was part of the flex test last Spring...rare that media is involved at any point is the testing process. It was a leap of faith on their end that I wouldn't say anything and while it was tough...I didn't.

As far as improving it? Yes, the production graphics are understated but look good. I do wish the red base made it to production though.

Can we see a Mindbender 99 vs. Enforcer 100 vs. Bonafide Cage Match Threesome?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Team riders are running these +6cm of recommended I guess so you’re not alone! A lot of people thinking the mount should be more forward for such a playful ski. Plus 2-3cm would put you in the Enforcer/Rustler factory line range.

Sponsor

Staff online