• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2020 K2 Mindbender 99Ti

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug Phil, I have an opportunity to get my hands on either a 90Ti or 99Ti. Are there and differences in construction between the two and are they skiing more true to size? I am leaning towards the 90Ti to fit in my quiver as I have a both Bonafide in 180 and Enforcer 100 in 184. I am wondering what your thoughts are on size between 177 and 184. I am 5'9" / 190lbs and ski aggressively. I also have both a Pinnacle 95 and 105 both in 184 and find size to be fine for each.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone get on the big boy 191? curious if there is a big difference. Asking for a friend, who also happens to be 6"7" 267 elbows.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Skied the 99Ti yesterday in the 184cm and I’m 6’2”/175. Very impressed! Skis just like an enforcer- damp, solid, easy to ski yet can blast crud. It doesn’t ski like a heavy ski yet is stable like one.
Got on my personal Enforcer Free 104 186cm right after and it has a very similar feel. Think I like the stiffer tips/more forgiving tails of my Enforcers 104 a touch better but honestly would be happy living with either ski.

If you can ski a 185cm Enforcer you’d be fine on the 184cm and I would pick the 90Ti with your quiver as there would be more overlap with the 99Ti.

6’7”/267 should have no issues on a 200cm Mindbender if they made one! Lol

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied the 99Ti yesterday in the 184cm and I’m 6’2”/175. Very impressed! Skis just like an enforcer- damp, solid, easy to ski yet can blast crud. It doesn’t ski like a heavy ski yet is stable like one.
Got on my personal Enforcer Free 104 186cm right after and it has a very similar feel. Think I like the stiffer tips/more forgiving tails of my Enforcers 104 a touch better but honestly would be happy living with either ski.

If you can ski a 185cm Enforcer you’d be fine on the 184cm and I would pick the 90Ti with your quiver as there would be more overlap with the 99Ti.

6’7”/267 should have no issues on a 200cm Mindbender if they made one! Lol
I am on a E93 193cm at the moment and am considering the MB 108ti E104 and maybe selling the e93 and going with the 99ti and my Monster 83s.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am on a E93 193cm at the moment and am considering the MB 108ti E104 and maybe selling the e93 and going with the 99ti and my Monster 83s.

So, you’re thinking of swapping out the E93 for the 99Ti AND getting the 108Ti/Enforcer or just using the 99Ti as the “wide ski” of the 2 ski quiver? If you’re planning on 3 skis, I’d keep the Monster 83s, E93 and then add either an E104 or MB108Ti as the “dedicated powder” ski. The E93 is a great ski on groomers and a bit of snow so you’d probably be sacrificing a bit of that harder snow performance for a bit for float in the 99Ti.

With Monsters, E93 and a “powder ski” you’d have a great hard snow, daily driver, fun powder ski quiver.

They had no MB108Ti to try but hear it should rip! Similar weight to the Enforcers/other MB models with a long 22.9m turning radius so it should be very stable at speed.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, you’re thinking of swapping out the E93 for the 99Ti AND getting the 108Ti/Enforcer or just using the 99Ti as the “wide ski” of the 2 ski quiver? If you’re planning on 3 skis, I’d keep the Monster 83s, E93 and then add either an E104 or MB108Ti as the “dedicated powder” ski. The E93 is a great ski on groomers and a bit of snow so you’d probably be sacrificing a bit of that harder snow performance for a bit for float in the 99Ti.

With Monsters, E93 and a “powder ski” you’d have a great hard snow, daily driver, fun powder ski quiver.

They had no MB108Ti to try but hear it should rip! Similar weight to the Enforcers/other MB models with a long 22.9m turning radius so it should be very stable at speed.
Decisions decisions....lol. yeah thought the 104 was gonna be the next addition but I think I need to get on the md 108s as well. I do like the feel of the Es and am used to how they flex. But I read the skiessentials review and they were see sawing saying the 110 would make a better dedicated pow ski. Guess I have some demoing to do.

Dogdog

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Wish they made a 170. I’m 5”7, 155 pounds and 59 years old, solid advanced skier but no expert
177 seems long for me! Maybe I should be on the 98ti Alliance?

Margotron

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Wish they made a 170. I’m 5”7, 155 pounds and 59 years old, solid advanced skier but no expert

Go for it! You can bend a 177 for sure, just gotta try it. You have Same stats as my dad but hes about 10 year older. He skis lengths in the mid 180s

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

There is a 170cm in the 90Ti and the 99Ti and a 172cm in the 108Ti but they haven’t released all the sizes yet. Know they have the 170cm in the 90Ti available now but maybe the Summer before they release all available sizes on all models like the 170cm 99Ti.

K2 tape measure very close to their stated lengths too so a K2 170cm might be a 171-172cm in another manufacturer.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug, once you get your feet back under you after the big JH/BS adventure, it seems like an update on these skis might be appropriate.

I saw a lot of them, in a lot of different conditions, in the trip report pics.

No hurry, just curious.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tom K., well, of the 6 days I have been on the road at Jackson Hole and Big Sky, all but one or two were on the Mindbender and I will say there were very few moments that I felt that I would want to have been on anything else. The conditions at Jackson and Big Sky were just stellar, from chasing @BS Slarver through the trees to some wide open soft groomers to the deep wind buff off od Challenger the 99Ti just performed. This is the ski that I will be measuring all other 98-100's against next year.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I just demo’d the K2 MB 99ti. Me reference 98 ski is my 180 Bonafide (1st iteration with carbon). Dunno - something was off. 177 felt a little short They felt dead on my feet. They carved well and were damp enough. Did not seem that fast edge to edge. Had to be something wrong. My buddy was on the 90’s and my wife rode the 98’s and they both really liked them . I could tell they were more playful than my Bones and less demanding but my Bones felt quicker and more responsive, more dampness and al little more power.

Like I said - something had to have been a miss here.

Probably a good thing - saved me $$!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I just demo’d the K2 MB 99ti. Me reference 98 ski is my 180 Bonafide (1st iteration with carbon). Dunno - something was off. 177 felt a little short They felt dead on my feet. They carved well and were damp enough. Did not seem that fast edge to edge. Had to be something wrong. My buddy was on the 90’s and my wife rode the 98’s and they both really liked them . I could tell they were more playful than my Bones and less demanding but my Bones felt quicker and more responsive, more dampness and al little more power.

Like I said - something had to have been a miss here.

Probably a good thing - saved me $$!
Yep, something was off for you for sure. Tune, mount, binding? Any of the above.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Actually 170 is too long for you. I am 5'6, 150 lbs, 64 years old and expert skier (confidently ski Double Diamond any snow condition). I ski a 164 in Rossi Experience 88HD, and just spent four days on Rossi 164 Sky 7 demo ski at Heavenly. A ski pro that I highly respect and ski with regulary in Tahoe when I posed the question whether longer would be better - said to stay at the length I am at. By the way, we was skiing the Mindbinder 99 proto and thoroughly enjoying it this past weekend.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually 170 is too long for you. I am 5'6, 150 lbs, 64 years old and expert skier (confidently ski Double Diamond any snow condition). I ski a 164 in Rossi Experience 88HD, and just spent four days on Rossi 164 Sky 7 demo ski at Heavenly. A ski pro that I highly respect and ski with regulary in Tahoe when I posed the question whether longer would be better - said to stay at the length I am at. By the way, we was skiing the Mindbinder 99 proto and thoroughly enjoying it this past weekend.
:eek:

Same stats as you guys, 10 - 15lbs lighter, 170cm isn't too long, no way am I buying that.
IMO, for me,164cm in a Rossi Sky 7 is a snowblade, couldn't pay me to ski it that short.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think most people can use more than one size, depending on what terrain they favor and how they like to ski (more speed or more turns).

Yes, very true - for me - I prefer the shorter ski for trees and bumps. I have not found snow conditions where I don't have enough float. While I am sure I could longer - I am happy where I am and yes I can carve the ski as well.

Sponsor

Staff online