• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2020 K2 Mindbender 99Ti

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Personally, my biggest beef with many or most current skis is that they lack the lovely, seductive pull across the fall line when you tip them up.

I know that makes things easier in cut up crud, etc, but I don't care. I miss that pull, and a tip-to-waist delta of 39 sounds very promising -- see, for example Motive 95, Hell & Back, Enforcer OG, etc..
I agree in the tip profile. I was never a fan of 5-point sidecuts, I like a tip that brings me across the hill.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How does this ski compare to the Enforcer 100?

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like a very nice ski. Is the base colored ptex or clear over red? Not a fan of the slalom ski clear base over color. It does hide damage though.
I agree in the tip profile. I was never a fan of 5-point sidecuts, I like a tip that brings me across the hill.
IMG_5791.JPG
Isn't that 5 point? Or does the curve up start at the widest point? What exactly defines a 5 point?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like a very nice ski. Is the base colored ptex or clear over red? Not a fan of the slalom ski clear base over color. It does hide damage though.
View attachment 62927 Isn't that 5 point? Or does the curve up start at the widest point? What exactly defines a 5 point?
It is red P-tex, not clear over red but the production ski will be different.
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 6.31.56 AM.png

A five point sidecut is more like a DPS Wailer or Dynastar Legend.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I need to test a pair of the 88 Alliance...
ogwink:golfclap::wave::roflmao::daffy::beercheer::rolleyes::D:D:D

I, too, am finding I like a tip that pulls across. The more I refine my skills, the more I appreciate this.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the 2016 Bones with carbon that I really like but I have been thinking about changing things up. This is intriguing for sure. Curious on its crud busting performance - always a key here in the PNW.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Mindbender tip/front looks good.

Personally I think makers have gone too far with the pulling tip. Esp Head. We have very imprecise language as tip means the curved up part and the base of the curved up part. Head keeps pushing the widest part of the ski up the curve. Like the current rally. A bunch of gs do that too and then make a square tip.

Gs skis have the excuse of mainly just skiing hard snow. Cheater gs though I really dislike a square tip and I've owned two excellent skis with them. It makes the ski much less versatile in funky snow as it's a plow. In moguls it catches there. If effective edge is the reason, make the ski a little longer.

Currently skiing a Rossi Hero Masters 21 cheater. Really nice ski. It would make an excellent all small mountain if it had say a Kastle MX tip on it. Not the square plow they've equipped it with. Too bad, as that ski would approach Blossom cult status. The longer sidecut of the Rossi with it's balanced flex is quite versatile.

Pushing the widest part way up the curve also has the problem of at very high edge angles the tip of the ski digs in abruptly, way more than what had been happening just prior. I don't see any good in that at all except for ortho docs.

I'm sure @Noodler has thoughts on this.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the 2016 Bones with carbon that I really like but I have been thinking about changing things up. This is intriguing for sure. Curious on its crud busting performance - always a key here in the PNW.

QFT. On Mt. Hood at least, in any ski category other than purely on-piste, you may as well just buy the best crud buster of the bunch, because that's what you'll be skiing after 10:15 AM.

@James, I hear you on carrying "pulling" tips too far when it comes to hard pack skis. I actually prefer the slightly less wide tip on my GT84s over the Titans, which I never thought would be the case.

But I don't generally see that problem in wider skis, and I think those have kind of been "dumbed down" for skidders and heel pushers -- not that they aren't out there having a blast, too! NOTABLE EXCEPTION: Fischer Pro Mtn 95, which I just haven't been able to ski yet.

While I know there is more to a ski than just it's dimensions, my favorite wider skis seem to have tip to waist deltas of ~35 and tail to waist deltas of ~25. YMMV.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug ,
Comparing it to the Pinnacle 95ti? They seem very different, but if you say they are replacing the Pinnacles, K2 must think there is at least Some overlap.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug ,
Comparing it to the Pinnacle 95ti? They seem very different, but if you say they are replacing the Pinnacles, K2 must think there is at least Some overlap.
Absolutely...both have K2 written on them ;) Seriously, that is where the similaries end. The Pinnacle was built to be a better 7 series and IMHO they succeeded, the Mindbender had had much loftier goals...that was to be the best in class.

Last edited:

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
QFT. On Mt. Hood at least, in any ski category other than purely on-piste, you may as well just buy the best crud buster of the bunch, because that's what you'll be skiing after 10:15 AM.

@James, I hear you on carrying "pulling" tips too far when it comes to hard pack skis. I actually prefer the slightly less wide tip on my GT84s over the Titans, which I never thought would be the case.

But I don't generally see that problem in wider skis, and I think those have kind of been "dumbed down" for skidders and heel pushers -- not that they aren't out there having a blast, too! NOTABLE EXCEPTION: Fischer Pro Mtn 95, which I just haven't been able to ski yet.

While I know there is more to a ski than just it's dimensions, my favorite wider skis seem to have tip to waist deltas of ~35 and tail to waist deltas of ~25. YMMV.

I don't think Schweitzer is quite as bad at Hood in regards to crud - but this year especially - wetter and heavier snow - is calling for a good crud buster.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Phil, can you measure rec mount point vs ski center ?

First thing I and many free riders wanted to hear. Guess the 108 is 9.75cm back from center and many in that video and much more forward than that it looks like. K2 usually have wide sweet spots for mounts.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

I thought that the biggest improvement on the PM 95 over the Motive was a tip - which you and James would not approve of.

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
Your live video review today was great. Torsional stability at the tip with tail forgiveness. Moar metal. Kept the low swing weight. Me likey.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Your live video review today was great. Torsional stability at the tip with tail forgiveness. Moar metal. Kept the low swing weight. Me likey.
Where is this video?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From Blister, on the 108 version: "... just put some pressure on the front of the ski, and it basically pulled me into a turn..."

Signing off now, to go weep quietly with joy!