• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2020 K2 Mindbender 99Ti

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
The Mindbender tip/front looks good.

Personally I think makers have gone too far with the pulling tip. Esp Head. We have very imprecise language as tip means the curved up part and the base of the curved up part. Head keeps pushing the widest part of the ski up the curve. Like the current rally. A bunch of gs do that too and then make a square tip.

Gs skis have the excuse of mainly just skiing hard snow. Cheater gs though I really dislike a square tip and I've owned two excellent skis with them. It makes the ski much less versatile in funky snow as it's a plow. In moguls it catches there. If effective edge is the reason, make the ski a little longer.

Currently skiing a Rossi Hero Masters 21 cheater. Really nice ski. It would make an excellent all small mountain if it had say a Kastle MX tip on it. Not the square plow they've equipped it with. Too bad, as that ski would approach Blossom cult status. The longer sidecut of the Rossi with it's balanced flex is quite versatile.

Pushing the widest part way up the curve also has the problem of at very high edge angles the tip of the ski digs in abruptly, way more than what had been happening just prior. I don't see any good in that at all except for ortho docs.

I'm sure @Noodler has thoughts on this.

The Mindbender tip looks fairly "tame" - should be fine in crud (where an aggressive wider tip can get you in trouble).

I am a fan of the 5-point sidecut. Here's why - That type of sidecut (and ski) will act different depending on whether you're skiing it in 2D or 3D conditions. In 2D (groomed hard pack), the extended portions of the tip and tail (beyond the widest point of the sidecut) don't really come into play. Thus your 190cm ski (like my 112RP's) skis much, much shorter; it makes tighter turns than the stated radius, and as long as the tip and tail are stiff enough, won't flap around a ton. Once the conditions go 3D, you have a ski of longer effective length and a tip and tail design that can chop their way through most conditions. The ski will also still turn fairly quickly due to the more extreme rockered sections that are now in play due to the deeper snow.

As far as the ski "pulling" you across the fall line... yeah the aggressively wide tips certainly can do that, but as James stated, if this isn't designed well then the turn shape is abrupt and the ski "pull" sudden instead of progressive. Tips can go wider in the upturn of the tip without creating this problem. My Hart Pulse are an example from my quiver.

Back to the Mindbender... so how does it compare when skied 2D versus 3D?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Your live video review today was great. Torsional stability at the tip with tail forgiveness. Moar metal. Kept the low swing weight. Me likey.

IIRC Previous K2 skis were the opposite, soft tips with stiff tails. The front and the rear felt like 2 different skis.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
v3xxmERATbqT+72tpCJznA.jpg

I had them out again yesterday in the 4" of fresh that was dropping at Mt. Rose. These truly are skiing like we expected, the leap that K2 has made in generations is astonishing. Shown here with it's older sister, the current Tough Luv.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug , will you be getting your boots on the 90ti too?
And keep the review coming, very interested to hear how thi feel in differnent scenarios.

Thanks!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug , will you be getting your boots on the 90ti too?
And keep the review coming, very interested to hear how thi feel in differnent scenarios.

Thanks!
@Tricia has the 88Ti on the way. I don't see getting on the 90 until Copper. Stay tuned.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

FlimFlamvanHam

Putting on skis
Skier
Brilliant marketing on behalf of K2.

Clearly they've created a ski that no one has created before it.

Maybe Phil you can tell me since you know what Pivots weigh: what the 99ti is coming in at weight wise? Because 2226g in the 184 per they're website it tantalizingly heavy to me and piques my interest, but I cannot believe it based on that only being 10g off the 186 108ti and 300g more than the 90ti. Yes, I realize different construction variables, but it still does not compute.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are starting to hit retailers now...here are some 90Ti and 99Ti's and women's versions "Alliance" in Tahoe at BlueZone

56955841585__6AD5F177-4AD2-4A7C-A8F4-73F4D372B551.JPG

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Brilliant marketing on behalf of K2.

Clearly they've created a ski that no one has created before it.

Maybe Phil you can tell me since you know what Pivots weigh: what the 99ti is coming in at weight wise? Because 2226g in the 184 per they're website it tantalizingly heavy to me and piques my interest, but I cannot believe it based on that only being 10g off the 186 108ti and 300g more than the 90ti. Yes, I realize different construction variables, but it still does not compute.
These are not light skis and OMHO that is not a bad thing and it sounds like you agree. I don't have a scale that I can weigh the combo with the Pivot 18 (not a light binding by any means). There is a solid feel with these and I think the direction debunks some brands needs to go light in every aspect. I will say though, I like the lightness of the Recon boot.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The Mindbender tip/front looks good.

Personally I think makers have gone too far with the pulling tip. Esp Head. We have very imprecise language as tip means the curved up part and the base of the curved up part. Head keeps pushing the widest part of the ski up the curve. Like the current rally. A bunch of gs do that too and then make a square tip.

Gs skis have the excuse of mainly just skiing hard snow. Cheater gs though I really dislike a square tip and I've owned two excellent skis with them. It makes the ski much less versatile in funky snow as it's a plow. In moguls it catches there. If effective edge is the reason, make the ski a little longer.

Currently skiing a Rossi Hero Masters 21 cheater. Really nice ski. It would make an excellent all small mountain if it had say a Kastle MX tip on it. Not the square plow they've equipped it with. Too bad, as that ski would approach Blossom cult status. The longer sidecut of the Rossi with it's balanced flex is quite versatile.

Pushing the widest part way up the curve also has the problem of at very high edge angles the tip of the ski digs in abruptly, way more than what had been happening just prior. I don't see any good in that at all except for ortho docs.

I'm sure @Noodler has thoughts on this.

On this one, IMHO, both the the iSpeed and Hero Master ski fine in any snow with a bottom. Have had no problem skiing them off piste and love their general versatility, but I'm weird.

Mindbender.. ok, goofy name, but fondling it in the shop, I'm really intrigued and hoping for an Enforcer with a better tip .. maybe a kinder, gentler Monster 98 in the best case scenario. .

cc1

Booting up
Skier
I've always gravitated to K2 because they are F U N to ski. Here's my arsenal more or less...
Rictor 80 174
RIctor 90 170
Pinnacle 95 177
Charger 74mm 174
Iconic 84 non TI version 170
Line Sick Day 95,94 179, 172, 179
Line Supernatural 92 172

That being stated, my concern is that the new Mindbender series will not be as playful as K2 of past. I'm a girl, and I need the mens skis because the girls just dont come long enough. In open terrain and snow I want a longer than 177 pinnacle. In trees I went for the 170 Rictor 90 of past for tight spots.

How would you rate the flex pattern of the Pinnacle (which I love but would want more ice grip underfoot, and less weight) vs. the Mindbender? I don't want something that's going to buck me around in irregular terrain, bumps, trees, etc.

I gravitated to the non TI version of the Iconic 84 and shorter for versatility and I'm liking it as an all around eastern ski until the snow starts to fall, then I need that something for those first hours of untracked that transition to skied off icy spots and crud.

Comments????? Thanks

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really intrigued and hoping for an Enforcer with a better tip .. maybe a kinder, gentler Monster 98 in the best case scenario. .

Wouldn't that just be peachy?!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've always gravitated to K2 because they are F U N to ski. Here's my arsenal more or less...
Rictor 80 174
RIctor 90 170
Pinnacle 95 177
Charger 74mm 174
Iconic 84 non TI version 170
Line Sick Day 95,94 179, 172, 179
Line Supernatural 92 172

That being stated, my concern is that the new Mindbender series will not be as playful as K2 of past. I'm a girl, and I need the mens skis because the girls just dont come long enough. In open terrain and snow I want a longer than 177 pinnacle. In trees I went for the 170 Rictor 90 of past for tight spots.

How would you rate the flex pattern of the Pinnacle (which I love but would want more ice grip underfoot, and less weight) vs. the Mindbender? I don't want something that's going to buck me around in irregular terrain, bumps, trees, etc.

I gravitated to the non TI version of the Iconic 84 and shorter for versatility and I'm liking it as an all around eastern ski until the snow starts to fall, then I need that something for those first hours of untracked that transition to skied off icy spots and crud.

Comments????? Thanks
@cc1 these are indeed fun but they have a more connected feel than the Pinnacles with a more positive
turn in. If you might even try these in the 170 length.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw some at the shop at Targhee today. Not in the demo fleet though

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Got to hand-flex the K2 Mindbender 99 in the shop today. Sweet flex (surprisingly solid) and the profile that takes into account all the developments in ski shapes in the past few years, so looks like they did almost everything right. If that ski does not resurrect K2 as a brand, I do not know what will.

Sponsor

Staff online