• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review 2020 K2 Mindbender 99Ti

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new K2 earned its keep at Squaw today...I think I will keep it around for a bit.
fullsizeoutput_736d.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lets just say, I'm jealous. Where's mine!

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The blue topskins will not be the production model.
It should be. So easy to identify K2 on top and bottom. Simple and sharp.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It should be. So easy to identify K2 on top and bottom. Simple and sharp.
That was said when Nordica did the black Proto..that it should hae been the production graphic...needless to say, they had no problem selling out that first year...I haven't seen the production graphics...will be a few weeks till "official" embargo is lifted. The only reason I started posting these pics is that others started showing the skis, at that point, all bets are off. There is a lot going on with these skis..and at K2 in general..and it is not "business as usual".

James

Out There
Instructor
Will K2 make race skis again?
Maybe you should suggest the mogul market? ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Will K2 make race skis again?
Maybe you should suggest the mogul market? ogsmile
I doubt we will see a race ski from them. The Charger skis are really good though.

They are and have been in the mogul ski market, currently with the 244.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug Any take on where they fall in the weight spectrum? And will they pass the critical @James chairlift clack test?
These are mounted with Pivots and will not be tested by James. As far as weight, not the lightest but not the heaviest either, they hav some mass to them.

This thread was pulled from public view per K2's request and will get put back up 1/15. I will be cleaning up James type comments before it goes back live.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK..the cover is off. K2 is now officially announcing this new series of skis to replace the Pinnacle collection. The Mindbender 99Ti here is one the main focus models and will be coupled with 90Ti & C and a 108Ti and a powder directed 116. Exact specs will be posted here later Tuesday.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fanboys/fangirls of which skis should be excited about these?
OK, now that the embargo is off. Those who liked the original Bonafide before it got too stiff. This ski reminded me of why I liked that 2011 Bonafide, it was it's playfulness and eggerness to attack whatevery you threw at it. With a 138mm tip, this ski just loves to be brought into a turn and it's Titanal Y-Beam has the strength you want up front yet allows you to do what you want the tail to do, work it or carve it.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, now that the embargo is off. Those who liked the original Bonafide before it got too stiff. This ski reminded me of why I liked that 2011 Bonafide, it was it's playfulness and eggerness to attack whatevery you threw at it. With a 138mm tip, this ski just loves to be brought into a turn and it's Titanal Y-Beam has the strength you want up front yet allows you to do what you want the tail to do, work it or carve it.

So after your Enforcer/Rustler cage match, I asked about which one had a little bit more stiffness/power. If you had to wiggle the Mindbender into that mix, where would you slot it? And do you know if they're really only doing 2 sizes for most skis or is that just for the early release?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With a 138mm tip, this ski just loves to be brought into a turn and it's Titanal Y-Beam has the strength you want up front yet allows you to do what you want the tail to do, work it or carve it.

Personally, my biggest beef with many or most current skis is that they lack the lovely, seductive pull across the fall line when you tip them up.

I know that makes things easier in cut up crud, etc, but I don't care. I miss that pull, and a tip-to-waist delta of 39 sounds very promising -- see, for example Motive 95, Hell & Back, Enforcer OG, etc..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So after your Enforcer/Rustler cage match, I asked about which one had a little bit more stiffness/power. If you had to wiggle the Mindbender into that mix, where would you slot it? And do you know if they're really only doing 2 sizes for most skis or is that just for the early release?
I skied the Mindbender and the Enforcer back to back...mano a mano...proto a proto. Both 177. The Enforcer just didn't seem as playful as it did when it was new..and fresh...The Mindbender was better on the windbuff and felt like it had fresh legs with more pep in it's step.

As far as the two size for the early release, the 98Ti Alliance, the women's model is available early in a 161 and 168 and it appears that they are taking the extra step in scaling the sizing.

Sponsor

Staff online