• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks great, I am coming back in April, and maybe March, save some snow for me

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Breckenridge survived the high temps (51 in town on Sunday), high winds and cold temps (2* this morning in town) to ski a lot better than expected after only 5" reported (3" overnight).

Starting with the usual suspects on Indy chair, I enjoyed nice pow over cord runs on Wirepatch and Claimjumper before venturing over to T-Bar. The groomers were not at all icy under the groom and pow.

Horseshoe Bowl looked like it wasn't open yesterday but I wasn't able to confirm that. The 5 inches of snow was moved around a bit, varying in depths from 3" to 7" or 8" and more. Chute 1 (below the picnic table) was bonus. The surface below the fresh was firm, but not icy. I saw a poor guy that got suckered into skiing Pika off of the usually groomed area. He said patrol was on the way when I shouted 'Go Home' from the T-Bar. Just kidding. I asked if he was OK. The next lap Patrol was putting a restraint on his arm and preparing to sled him down. My next run was a nice one down Pika and into Cucumber. I pioneered a new line (for myself at least) to get a better angle on the usual and was pleased with the results.

Peak 7 opened in a stealthy fashion; I saw a non-patroller on the top traverse to Whale's Tail and beyond and made tracks for Imperial. I landed on a chair with 'Chrome Dome' (people that frequent Breck on power days will know who I mean) and I led the way towards CJ's. I took 10 or so turns in what I call Powder 8s, hooked a left to traverse to CJs and watched as CD followed patrol tracks down CJ's. I followed. My tracks are the fourth from the looker's right.

View attachment 92611
It is good to be (close to) first! On my next T-Bar ride my tracks were still alone in Powder 8s.

Why everyone jumps into Whales Tail and Vertigo mystifies me makes me smile.

View attachment 92613

One more run in CJs and I was done for the day as w@rk was waiting in my office.

I dressed well for the day and was happy to be comfy all morning long.

View attachment 92614
Turtleneck, down sweater, full winter coat and a coach's coat.
Can you traverse over to CJs from Imperial without having to hike or pole a lot?

I plan on being at Breck on Friday and bowling if they open it up after Thursday night's dump. Not sure about visibility though because it's supposed to continue through Friday.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Can you traverse over to CJs from Imperial without having to hike or pole a lot?

I plan on being at Breck on Friday and bowling if they open it up after Thursday night's dump. Not sure about visibility though because it's supposed to continue through Friday.
Yes and no. The traverse to Whale's Tail is usually just a glide if no one gets in your way. From there, if you tuck through what sometimes is a mogul field on the saddle, you can slide all the way to the traverse to CJ's. Right now the traverse to CJ's is a bit rocky in places. I made it today with minor damage (your opinion of minor may vary from mine :rolleyes: ) and once you are past the rocks, it is all downhill.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
This has been the storm many have been waiting for. Unfortunately that means 70 is going to be a total cluster.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quick update from Crested Butte. CBMR reports 120 of 121 named trails are now open. So you can ski terrain from Sunset Ridge to Third Bowl. The only named trail not open is Upper Peel, and I'm not sure if the Peak can be skied yet. Coverage is good but not at its best, though getting there.. Skiing off the High Lift and NFL is as always in natural snow so there are obstacles up there. People seem happy. The Butte and Monarch are options if you want to avoid the I-70 circus.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Here's the latest forecast for Steamboat for 10K

This Afternoon
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 8. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind around 15 mph.
Tonight Snow showers, mainly after 8pm. Patchy blowing snow after midnight. Low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -20. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thursday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow. High near 17. Wind chill values as low as -15. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Thursday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly after 3am. Low around 16. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the latest forecast for Steamboat for 10K

This Afternoon
A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near 8. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind around 15 mph.
Tonight Snow showers, mainly after 8pm. Patchy blowing snow after midnight. Low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -20. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Thursday
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow. High near 17. Wind chill values as low as -15. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Thursday Night
Snow showers. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly after 3am. Low around 16. Windy, with a west wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.
And....I'm working. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ron

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like I timed it right. Flew in to Denver Tuesday and drove up today (Wed) in the sunshine. Skied Keystone today (cold!) and checked into my condo for the next 3 weeks. Glad I wasn't a day later. Just have to ride the shuttle to River Run. No traffic, bad roads, or parking to worry about.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like I timed it right. Flew in to Denver Tuesday and drove up today (Wed) in the sunshine. Skied Keystone today (cold!) and checked into my condo for the next 3 weeks. Glad I wasn't a day later. Just have to ride the shuttle to River Run. No traffic, bad roads, or parking to worry about.
Screenshot_20200205-233711_OpenSnow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online