• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
:eek::eek::eek:

Are they part of the EPIC Pass... that is an EPIC line :roflmao:

I thought I was looking at early season A-Basin for a minute there...

But, holy jeez. That's nuts. I got an alert from Northstar that they have received 64" of snow in the past week. It's just crazy how much snow falls in the Sierras when Ullr feels like blessing the region.

TallGuy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well, today did not turn out at all what I was expecting, which was relatively light boot-deep powder at Alpine Meadows. Instead we got shallow cream cheese that only consolidated more as the day went on, then to add in clouds to flatten the light and mist to distort vision through the goggles. I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed as I took one of my very few PTO days for this epic powder day and it didn't deliver. I guess I need to focus on the smooth cream cheese in the morning, which was actually pretty fun despite not being what I expected. Also, we do have a very good compacted base in Tahoe now.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, we do have a very good compacted base in Tahoe now.
As fun as dry powder can be, we really needed what we got in a bad way. It'll set up for a better next few months.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Well, today did not turn out at all what I was expecting, which was relatively light boot-deep powder. Instead we got shallow cream cheese that only consolidated more as the day went on, then to add in clouds to flatten the light and mist to distort vision through the goggles. I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed as I took one of my very few PTO days for this epic powder day and it didn't deliver. I guess I need to focus on the smooth cream cheese in the morning, which was actually pretty fun despite not being what I expected. Also, we do have a very good compacted base in Tahoe now.

Where did you ski? I had a similar experience. Of course, a Head Rally in feet of snow was supposed to be interesting :roflmao:

My problem was the chain controls and later on the rain in Sugar Bowl. I couldn't see anything, really. Sticky rain on the Google's is not fun when you are on really deep heavy fresh snow. But I agree. Great base.

Joshuawjc

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thinking about Sugar Bowl for tomorrow to avoid the 89/Squalpine madness. For big holiday weekends, what have folks found in terms of when to arrive by to find open Judah parking? 900 AM too late? Thank you kindly!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We left Truckee around 7:30 and it was a real heavy mist and 37*.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. Oh, I could also go Renoun Z90 - if I really need an edge.
I don't think the Z90 would be a bad choice. Carvy on the groomers with enough spine and float for the piles.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thinking about Sugar Bowl for tomorrow to avoid the 89/Squalpine madness. For big holiday weekends, what have folks found in terms of when to arrive by to find open Judah parking? 900 AM too late? Thank you kindly!

I agree with @Banzaibikes . In weekdays, Judah (which I like a lot better than the Gondola) starts filling up 8:30. I would try to be there no later than 8:30. Maybe 8:15 or so, grab a bite, warm up, and hit it at 9. I think it will be mostly a zoo around 11. Today, the Judah lifts were ok, and so was Christmas Tree. A lot of people in Lincoln, and I didn't even think of Disney.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Sierra cement and crowds. Will be nice Monday after storm #4. From home feeling better now about resisting.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Drove up from Bay area to Incline Village for the weekend. Left at 8pm and reached at 12:30am. Not to bad for a holiday weekend Friday night drive.

Rain all the way! Even on Donner Pass. :( Only when we crossed Northstar did it let up a bit, down to a drizzle. But temps were never below 34°F the entire way.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's already almost 30° at the top of Mt. Rose at 5:30am on Saturday. Groomers should be nice but it'll be heavy where it's not groomed.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
1st run report. I took the Zephyr lift up from Slide side at Rose and came down the Rose side. Groomers are VERY crusty. Not ice but firm with a glaze. It looks like they were groomed when it was still warm, then froze. Lots of bumps and holes from chunks coming out. Should be fine in a bit. This is the top of Lower Lakeview. You can definitely tell it snowed up here. 20190119_085038.jpg

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Done for the day. Having a beer on the deck on the Slide side listening to the band.
Will be at Rose Slide side around 1p. Green jacket, grey/black pants, black helmet with pugski sticker. Hoping to work ungroomed.
20190119_115441.jpg