• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
the "Heidi trees" are the proper Red Dog Ridge, the one you refer to is the ridge above the East Face/Three Trees area. These are usually some of the nastiest bumps at Squaw (rivaled only those by the Slot entrance),
The entrance to the Slot on past Monday was an unparalleled disaster. Absurd sized bumps, carved out and frozen.
I'm lucky to survive ! Headwall & Sun Bowl were good. Entrance traverse to slot has probably melted now which,thankfully, saves us !

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If they are soft those can be some of the most fun bumps on the mountain! Sometimes they are windblown and miserably icy when the rest of the run is fun but worthy of a look. @Alexzn 's detour is OK but the traverse tracks screw up East Face's nice lines. The bump lines in the Olympic Lady gully are the best! Ski all the way over to Heidi's and you miss that. Everyone goes that way so the steep extension of the gully is often untracked to drop you off at the soft bump gulley. Olympic Lady is the best!

@Pumba glad you enjoyed your time in Tahoe. "I'm so much more of a spoiled bastad than you!" GNAR.

Eric
Yes, but if you go past it, you get to Tom's Tumble, which is a much longer steep pitch and still gets you over to a decent portion of the bumps. Of course those are different sun aspect slopes, so the light and snow conditions vary quite a bit depending on the time of the day. Of course everyone at Squaw is always chasing longer steeper lines... And Yes, I hate traverse lines too, you can actually make turns down that face and if you angle right, you still wont miss the saddle.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Magic day at Sugar Bowl. Warmed up on Judah, shared a run with a beautiful skier (ex racer a couple decades older than me, amazing turns). Low vis up high, but Crow's was beautiful. A little heavy snow but beautiful.

Mid day i get a text from @Tricia , she 's in the house. With a young friend that it was a hoot to (try to) follow. We had a ton of fun. Run of the day was the bowl skiers right from the (crow's) chair, including some of those trees at the bottom. What fun!

20190322_121453.jpg
20190322_121457.jpg
20190322_121824.jpg 20190322_122302.jpg
20190322_122702_HDR.jpg
20190322_122746_HDR.jpg
20190322_144225.jpg

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Drove up to Incline Village tonight.

Crossed Donner Pass at 11pm. It was snowing from 6000' onwards, but no chain control and no slowdown. Zero accumulation all the way at freeways levels. Temps never below 33°F.

Wet dusting for tomorrow, looks like.

I have some errands to run here. So will probably just get the afternoon at Diamond Peak.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Magic day at Sugar Bowl. Warmed up on Judah, shared a run with a beautiful skier (ex racer a couple decades older than me, amazing turns). Low vis up high, but Crow's was beautiful. A little heavy snow but beautiful.

Mid day i get a text from @Tricia , she 's in the house. With a young friend that it was a hoot to (try to) follow. We had a ton of fun. Run of the day was the bowl skiers right from the (crow's) chair, including some of those trees at the bottom. What fun!

View attachment 69229
View attachment 69232
View attachment 69230 View attachment 69226
View attachment 69228
View attachment 69227
View attachment 69231
We had some serious fun.
Thanks for meeting up with us.
IMG_0005.JPG

And yes, Kambria is young and full of energy. She'll try anything. She did a bit of this yesterday
Kam.jpg
And some of this too
IMG_0004.JPG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Suggestions on the best place to buy tire chains between Reno and KW on Monday afternoon?

Looks like it will be a week of snow, and 88/89 are on chains today.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Suggestions on the best place to buy tire chains between Reno and KW on Monday afternoon?

Looks like it will be a week of snow, and 88/89 are on chains today.
Reno should have options. Any auto supply store there should have them, I would think.

I bought chains at an auto supply store in Auburn (sorry can't remember which one, but it was one of the chain stores-no pun intended) and they told me that I could return them if I didn't use them. So you could possibly do that, if you buy from the right place in Reno and the chain control timing is right.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@CalG When we fly into Reno, Walmart next to the airport (open till midnight) has had a decent selection at a good price to equip the rental car when needed. It is seasonal so I'm not sure when they drop their chain supply.

Eric
Or up on McCarren West. there is a autoZone and O'Rileys right there too.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid