• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I bought chains at an auto supply store in Auburn (sorry can't remember which one, but it was one of the chain stores-no pun intended) and they told me that I could return them if I didn't use them. So you could possibly do that, if you buy from the right place in Reno and the chain control timing is right.
I believe it's Big O Tire stores.
Bought some in Oregon and returned them unused to their store in Grass Valley, CA for a full refund.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Bought some in Oregon and returned them unused to their store in Grass Valley, CA for a full refund.
At least that's not as bad as the lady returning the Christmas poinsettias to Home Depot last week.

If you don't really expect to use the chains, how about some of those plastic tie wrap chains? Anybody used them? Do they get through chain controls? Might be excellent for a 4wd getting unstuck and meeting the "carry chains" requirement.

Eric

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the place I went to was O'Reilly in Auburn. I never returned the chains, the size is right for both of my cars, and it's a good idea to have them in the car just in case. But when I bought them they said they could be returned if unused.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At least that's not as bad as the lady returning the Christmas poinsettias to Home Depot last week.

If you don't really expect to use the chains, how about some of those plastic tie wrap chains? Anybody used them? Do they get through chain controls? Might be excellent for a 4wd getting unstuck and meeting the "carry chains" requirement.

Eric
The caltrans may not let zip ties go through as chains. I remember they posted on Twitter this season saying this is not chains, so I think they are inclined to turn you around if they see those. Who knows, things change or maybe in a light conditions they will pass you and bad conditions they will turn you (R1.5? lol)
The Sock things i believe is a pass, but those are just as expensive if not more expensive as chains and are sized too and not generic.
Still ziptie things are OK idea if you are already awd/4wd and just looking for extra backup, but dont count on it to fulfill any particular requirement.

personally for my awd suv, i just got the beefy thule chains (real links) that have the easy on and off features. The idea is im going to own this vehicle this will be long term insurance, so the cost becomes negligible amortized over years, but if i get into trouble, Im going to need the most traction(which is why not zipties or socks), and the easiest on and off.
if for a rental car that im giving back after 1 week, obv the calculations all gonna be different.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It looks like there is an autozone on S.Virginia St. as well, the location is "on the way".
FYI, autozone/ oreillys more likely to have no returns on chains, vs Walmart. But if its going to be used its going to be no returns anyway.

See if you get the step upped zstyle model that is a diagonal pattern and doesnt require moving the car. maybe only +10 or +20 more than the cheapest basic ladder, but worth it.

you may want to also get a pair of gloves. they have the rubber treated (thin) workgloves for oil changes that work just as well for chainwork
or at least bring a towel/papertowels to clean up and bring a leatherman or other generic pliers based multitool. or just pay chain monkey to install

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Really happy with the conditions today. This season keeps delivering the goods!
Amazing . Definitely one for the books and we'll be taking about for a while.

Nice boot deep fluff on G.S., straight down from Snowflake Lodge at Diamond Peak-
IMG_20190323_123144.jpg

Golden Eagle Bowl always has the untracked low angle pow! My wife was on her Head Super Joy and they were.... a little sinky- they even put a hole on the tip to submarine in powder :P She was a good sport and came along, ready to eat some pow :Cristmassnow:
IMG_20190323_140206.jpg

I finally remembered to swap my goggle lens for a graybird friendly one. What a difference! I can seeee
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190323115217366_COVER.jpg

Last edited:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The caltrans may not let zip ties go through as chains. I remember they posted on Twitter this season saying this is not chains, so I think they are inclined to turn you around if they see those. Who knows, things change or maybe in a light conditions they will pass you and bad conditions they will turn you (R1.5? lol)
The Sock things i believe is a pass, but those are just as expensive if not more expensive as chains and are sized too and not generic.
Still ziptie things are OK idea if you are already awd/4wd and just looking for extra backup, but dont count on it to fulfill any particular requirement.

personally for my awd suv, i just got the beefy thule chains that have the easy on and off features. The idea is im going to own this vehicle this will be long term insurance, if i get into trouble, Im going to need the most traction(which is why not zipties or socks), and the easiest on and off.
if for a rental car that im giving back after 1 week, obv the calculations all gonna be different.

The Tahoe I have for work has been in for repairs too many times to count so i had to choose between a couple Honda’s to buy chains for. The Civic is an automatic and the Fit is a 5 speed so I bought Peerless Super Zs for the Fit.
It has gotten me up LCC to Alta in many storms with some struggles. Coming down it is locked to the road and does better than any AWD SUV or 4x4 truck without chains.. On in 3 minutes per tire and off can take 5-7 minutes. The downside to them is at 30 mph the car feels and sounds like a tank and when the road starts to clear further down the canyon everyone else is ready to drive 55 in the posted 45 mph zone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@socalgal and her family are here for a little jaunt so we skied Squaw today.
The lift lines weren't bad, but they were more than I usually experience midweek.
The snow was incredibly good on the upper mountain and was definitely deeper than reported. To top it off, it was colder snow than I expected with the reported temps.

Just a few pictures of the day.
IMG_3254.JPG.jpeg IMG_3251.JPG.jpeg

Aquiverfull

The mountains are calling and I must go.
Skier
We are heading up to Squaw in a week for Nastar races, whoot-hoot!! Looks fun! Last year races were a soggy rainy mess, and then a March Miracle dumping of snow over top.They had all lifts closed except a few for several days. Lots of dynamite and mini avalanches. Looking forward to better conditions this year :)

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lots of fun today skiing w/ @Tricia , we lapped Shirley after a late, slow start. Alpine or Squaw tomorrow? Hmmm, choices.

I signed up for lessons at Alpine T-Th. Here's to hoping for some breakthroughs!

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
As Tricia said, today was a pretty good day, I'm glad I took pow skis in the morning, the first couple of runs off Granite were awesome, we saw the line starting to build up and moved to Silverado. That was pretty much ski right to the chair type of affair all morning. The snow was nice not too deep but heavy. Steep pitches sloghed at every turn so lateral movement,t was essential. One time I was in the chute on Silverado with three people skiing above me and I was seriously worried about getting taken down by all the snow that was coming down from above. Switched to the regular skis after lunch and enjoyed some soft clumply conditions on KT and Headwall. KT was soft and heavy half way before the rain line, after which it became a real chore. Overall another great day. Visibility was an issue with list hanging over much of the resort. Looks like it was much sunnier at Diamond Peak.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
And the lens seal on my near brand new POC Cornea google leaked, letting some water between the lenses. Of course the goggle fogged up in no time and I had some interesting experiences trying to ski either without goggles or ski by Braille until I was able to get down and switch to a spare.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As Tricia said, today was a pretty good day, I'm glad I took pow skis in the morning, the first couple of runs off Granite were awesome, we saw the line starting to build up and moved to Silverado. That was pretty much ski right to the chair type of affair all morning. The snow was nice not too deep but heavy. Steep pitches sloghed at every turn so lateral movement,t was essential. One time I was in the chute on Silverado with three people skiing above me and I was seriously worried about getting taken down by all the snow that was coming down from above. Switched to the regular skis after lunch and enjoyed some soft clumply conditions on KT and Headwall. KT was soft and heavy half way before the rain line, after which it became a real chore. Overall another great day. Visibility was an issue with list hanging over much of the resort. Looks like it was much sunnier at Diamond Peak.
I kinda wish I'd hit Silverado but we were sticking to family friendly slopes. Crazy good snow today!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@socalgal l would suggest squaw for today or while weather holds up.

storm coming in mon to thursday will shut squaw upper down. Even when it opens it will be a zoo for a day for the powderhounds.

your lesson plan T to Th would be my choice too for lessons considering the forecast. (it still is going to be challenging conditions and not ideal)
You may even see squaw instuctors and their wards shuttle over to alpine for their lesson.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online