• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Thanks. I’ll hold off on swapping for a couple of weeks and check back.

+1 ^
2nd week of April, AWD, M+S stamp with good tread, carrying chains. The odds are in your favor.
Sure, there are plenty of snowstorms that time of year but I have never seen one of biblical proportions. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

g3man

Booting up
Skier
Similar question on driving conditions for this next Monday afternoon. Return Friday

Reno to Kirkwood, NOT going through SLT on the arrival, but will stop in SLT on the departure.

Snow and rain in the forecast.

Should we rent a 4WD?

Forecast for next week is still fuzzy, but it points to possible storms starting Monday. I would rent 4WD because of potential chain/4WD requirements on Carson Pass (you need to go through that from Reno/SLT to Kirkwood). It is a little early to know with certainty though.

Monitor these pages:
OpenSnow Tahoe Daily Snow
WeatherUnderground Sierra-At-Tahoe (Kirkwood station is buried in snow)

Also, when you're about to drive it, you can check on road status for Carson Pass on State Route 88 here:
Caltrans SR88 Conditions

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Question for the locals - I'm driving down from Seattle to ski Squaw/Alpine the second week of April. I have AWD and chains, but I'd love to pull the snow tires off the car for the drive. What do you think the risk is of any serious snow at that point? I'm an ex-New Englander so more than comfortabe.
It’s not really the risk of serious snow,or how good the driver is, It’s the risk of California’s absurd chain laws being thrown up often with only 1 or 2 inches of snow on the road. They’ll inspect your vehicle on the road and NOT let it pass unless you are AWD or have chains on. AWD/4WD are supposed to have M+S or snow tires (they usually don’t check tires closely)on all 4 wheels. As a transplanted Easterner this is most annoying. Almost no one in the east has chains. About 25% chance of chain controls.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Question for the locals - I'm driving down from Seattle to ski Squaw/Alpine the second week of April. I have AWD and chains, but I'd love to pull the snow tires off the car for the drive. What do you think the risk is of any serious snow at that point? I'm an ex-New Englander so more than comfortable in messy conditions. Think I'm safe to go back to the all-weather tires? They're just more comfortable on the long haul.

I wrecked my suspension pulling into the squaw parking lot on April 12 last year; I hit an icy patch and slid into a curb. I took my winter tires off 6 days earlier. ogsmile

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Squaw for the first time ever last Sunday. Growing up it was always more expensive so I usually ended up at Kirkwood/Heavenly/Sierra. Then Epic. But I fell into a couple of day passes and went for it. WOW. Big mistake never going here. I get it now. Squaw is so massive that I would have been totally lost w/o @Alexzn 's guide (thanks) and local advice while on the lifts. Spent most of the time on Granite Chief. Snow seemed a bit better up there til around 2.

I'll be back.

Anyway, this post was mostly to endorse the `unofficial guide` from a Squaw noob perspective. I noticed a few folks asking questions that I had just days ago (and will have again...)

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
It’s not really the risk of serious snow,or how good the driver is, It’s the risk of California’s absurd chain laws being thrown up often with only 1 or 2 inches of snow on the road. They’ll inspect your vehicle on the road and NOT let it pass unless you are AWD or have chains on. AWD/4WD are supposed to have M+S or snow tires (they usually don’t check tires closely)on all 4 wheels. As a transplanted Easterner this is most annoying. Almost no one in the east has chains. About 25% chance of chain controls.
That's because they are illegal in most Eastern states, or at least were when we lived there. Can you imagine the state of Boston streets (which are already a sorry sight) after a few snowstorms if you allow people to put chains on their cars?? I think chains are a feature of the mountainous areas where you have a combination of massive snowfall and steep grades (and a bunch of vehicles coming up from urban areas that do not see snow...)

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
It’s because most California drivers are complete idiots driving on white stuff.
You can see what they do in the Bay Area on dry pavement.
Plus we don’t get the I-70 effect with stalled out cars and trucks blocking traffic cause Caltrans actively enforces chain laws unlike Colorado

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@socalgal you will be fine at either you can pick just on what's more convenient for nonskiing reasons, or where you want to get some terrain tips to be more comfortable with extra mtn knowledge.

i would say if there is a storm or highwinds forecast and you need int. or beginer terrain, go for alpine,
since squaw upper mtn may shut at squaw, whereas beginner terrain at alpine is still accessible lower.

Potentially chance for lower ratios at alpine, but with spring break in effect, it is not a regular midweek, who knows what the masses are doing, i suppose you can call and ask which mtn is less full in lesson reservations (but then they just shift instructors around and form more groups

Either. Alpine has better groomers to accommodate drills, imho. Depending on how long the lesson is, it is easier to get into sustained steeper terrain in a short time at Squaw than at Alpine.

+1 agree. squaws good groomers dont have that manicured focus and get chopped up and rutted fast, kangaroo is good till end of the day.

So it depends what you want to work on.

@socalgal
Another strategy if you plan on taking 3 lessons, is you can just book your first day at alpine. Then at the wrapup, talk with instructor about your goals, you can do the other days at alpine or split at squaw. Really it depends what your goals and progression plan they have for you crossed onto their local knowledge of exact current conditions.
If there is an issue with the early signup discount you can just book 2 and still 99% they will help and accomodate swapping you to the other mtn.

Thanks @Pequenita and @raytseng I will book them at Alpine for Tuesday-Thursday, and if circumstances change, relocate to Squaw if necessary. I enjoyed skiing both resorts, just for different reasons. Now, to come up with a list of "things I want to work on."

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier
Tahoe has always been crazy with snowstorms happening occasionally in the end of May, so unless the forecast is absolutely clear, I would keep the winter tires on. What's the downside, slightly noisier ride and a tiny bit worse gas mileage?

The Blizzaks, aside from feeling like driving on gummy bears, have a high grip compound on the outer tread that doesn't give the greatest useful tread life - 12K mile by many accounts. Driving down from Seattle and spending a week in Tahoe will certainly eat into that. They were certainly helpful for my trip to Big Sky last month (sorry to miss you guys) where we had snow on the roads for most of the way, but driving south to CA in April will likely mean clear roads for the sizable majority of the trip. The all seasons are plenty capable in snow and just make long haul driving more comfortable, so if the risk of big weather is minimal, I'll make the switch.

Spinning Wheel

Booting up
Skier

Yeah, I've been to Tahoe several times so I know there are some rigid chain laws. We have them up here too for the Cascade passes though WSDOT rarely seems to go past "chains advised". I do carry chains and my all seasons are M+S, so I think I'm inclined to make the switch. My car only specs chains for the rear wheels so I only carry the one set - will CA require me to chain up all for wheels?

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Yeah, I've been to Tahoe several times so I know there are some rigid chain laws. We have them up here too for the Cascade passes though WSDOT rarely seems to go past "chains advised". I do carry chains and my all seasons are M+S, so I think I'm inclined to make the switch. My car only specs chains for the rear wheels so I only carry the one set - will CA require me to chain up all for wheels?

Nope, you'll be fine with one set of chains.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's extremely rare that the road will be open only to 4wd with chains. I80, never (they close it way before that). Your AWD with MS rated regular tires will get you through any chain control on a road you want to drive on.

You must carry chains but they never asked me if I had 4 wheels worth. Not sure if that's specifically required. But they do ask if I have chains on board. I carry 2 wheels worth.

Once, decades ago, they did make me put chains on the front of my old 4wd Willys. But the bald street (not MS) tires were probably the big factor there. Irritating as there was hardly any snow on the road.

Eric

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
M+S with decent tread and your good.. I drive a escape (awd) around Tahoe daily with m+s and don't even own chains. It almost never gets bad enough to go full restriction before they actually close the roads. At that point the roads are so bad that I'm hitching rides with my buddies that have big trucks with monster snow tires.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The Blizzaks, aside from feeling like driving on gummy bears, have a high grip compound on the outer tread that doesn't give the greatest useful tread life - 12K mile by many accounts. Driving down from Seattle and spending a week in Tahoe will certainly eat into that. They were certainly helpful for my trip to Big Sky last month (sorry to miss you guys) where we had snow on the roads for most of the way, but driving south to CA in April will likely mean clear roads for the sizable majority of the trip. The all seasons are plenty capable in snow and just make long haul driving more comfortable, so if the risk of big weather is minimal, I'll make the switch.
If your other tires are all-season M+S, I would feel comfortable making the switch as well. I thought you were switching to summer tires. I still don't swap the tires until our season is over, but ours are run-flat X-Ice Michelins, so they drive much better on the highway than Blizzaks likely at the expense of some extreme snow handling...

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks @Pequenita and @raytseng I will book them at Alpine for Tuesday-Thursday, and if circumstances change, relocate to Squaw if necessary. I enjoyed skiing both resorts, just for different reasons. Now, to come up with a list of "things I want to work on."
sounds like a great plan.
be sure that they don't charge you for the third one, and book the 3rd over the phone and specifically confirm the take2 deal. The internet can't look up your records properly.
even my record is screwed up because i have day passes and 4pack and 6pack and mtn collective passes from precious seasons combined with this years ikon plus my lesson history (for snowboarding lol) all of these are multiple accounts that all represent me, but all not linked up right.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wrecked my suspension pulling into the squaw parking lot on April 12 last year; I hit an icy patch and slid into a curb. I took my winter tires off 6 days earlier. ogsmile
yea freeze thaw cycle and black ice is no joke in the morning, esp with some frost hoar. Even more dangerous than winter snow that didnt melt. That being said, if it makes you feel better potentially would have had the same outcome even with snows, rubber on ice is rubber on ice.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
they wont make you chain up at all. just hold up the 4fingers at the check (if it happens)
if you choose to chainup this is a personal judgement call for you to make. Nobody should give you a hard time if you choose to be safer even when not required by law or regulatuon
Hopefully most of the ppl here take personal responsibility for their own safety and constantly evaluating and applying judgement, both on the roads or on the snow.