• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Anyone at K-ton or Pico 1-5, @Guy in Shorts ?
Max passes are needing to be used up and quick.
Staying at the base of the Gondi of anyone has any food or bev intell.... much aprech.

Not sure which gondola you are near!

The Back Behind, at the intersection of Rt. 4 and Rt. 100 is a big favorite. Fun restaurant, great atmosphere, excellent fish and great bbq.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied Cannon for the first time on Sunday, it was a lot of fun! The views across the notch to Lafayette were gorgeous. I got some base damage on my skis after skiing (or, more accurately for some parts of the trail, surviving) DJ's Tramline, but I knew that would happen going into it so it's OK.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Anyone at K-ton or Pico 1-5, @Guy in Shorts ?
Max passes are needing to be used up and quick.
Staying at the base of the Gondi of anyone has any food or bev intell.... much aprech.
Lion of March has roared blessing Killington with over six feet of snow. Some of the finest conditions in recent memory. Hope to get out Thursday morning at Killington moving over to Pico for the afternoon. Love to see all the max pass holders getting a chance to enjoy The Beast. Make sure to stop into Peak lodge for a break or lunch. Love to sit at the Peak bar soaking in the views from the top of the world.

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Anyone have Intel on Windham in the Catskills? I was thinking if getting the midweek pass there for next season, I've been once thought it was ok for a 2 hour drive. Do they groom to death or leave a good portion with moguls when snow is good. Also, is it more likely to be icy compared to So VT areas?

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I like Windham. Not a bad place for a change of pace from Hunter which has better terrain but not that much better. They will leave at least some of the double blacks and maybe even a single black ungroomed after a storm. Skied there twice after big dumps and it was a lot of fun. Not much tree skiing but if you explore you can find some. After large dumps I felt like most of the advanced terrain was ungroomed.

I wouldn't say it's anymore icy than VT but ice is ice.

It's clean and comfortable and family friendly.

I've heard they've had a lot of lift problems this year which has kept me away but I think they're putting in a brand new six pack next year.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Windham is my least favorite Catskills area. But midweek might be a better situation.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
....... My wife & I will be there Saturday & Sunday, but I'll be in a bumps camp all day.... .

I was going to make a comment about the Matterhorn pics but this caught my attention. So what's the scoop? Was it what you expected from DW?

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Windham is my least favorite Catskills area. But midweek might be a better situation.

Im not too excited but cheap passes are hard to come by within a reasonable drive. I've got to work with Stratton, Bromley, Snow, or the eastern cats. Only saw that bromley and windham have relatively cheap midweek pass. Magic out, platty out, no Monday ops.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about a Peaks midweek pass and you get Hunter and Snow (and other further options)?

James

Out There
Instructor
Really two but they list the two stages of the Skyeship separately. Typical for Killington trail and lift counting:rolleyes:.
Glad to see I haven't missed a whole section of the mountain with that third gondola.
Are they reviving that area down on Rte 100 that now rents snowmobiles? Didn't that used to be a lift 40 yrs ago?
Just before Rte 4/100 on the left headed north.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Glad to see I haven't missed a whole section of the mountain with that third gondola.
Are they reviving that area down on Rte 100 that now rents snowmobiles? Didn't that used to be a lift 40 yrs ago?
That used to be my favorite Killington entry years ago. Sunshine or something like that? Sunrise? Park close, ride that lift to the midstation for a couple warm ups, then ride to the top to get to Bear Mountain.

The fact that there was always close in parking available, even arriving late, might be related to why they closed it.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes cute marketing names make finding what you want more difficult than it needs to be.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I was going to make a comment about the Matterhorn pics but this caught my attention. So what's the scoop? Was it what you expected from DW?

DW is the real deal — a fine, enthusiastic coach, a skier to die for, totally sweet.

If there was a problem, it was with who was allowed in. There were four or five groups based on ability. I'm a beginner bump skier but reasonably accomplished on-piste — high intermediate, say. Most in our group were low intermediates, and this frustrated our instructor, a strong level III. She had to spend time drilling the lower level skiers on-piste (stance leg, separation, counter, etc.), while giving specific tips to the two of us who had more going on. She did well under the circumstances, but it did cut our learning time some. That said, I learned enough to have something to work on for what remains of the season.

Donna only skied with us the second half of the second day, but she was inspiring. Few words, appropriate drills, lots of encouragement. If I can budget it (it was pretty reasonable), I'd do it again.

James

Out There
Instructor
DW is the real deal — a fine, enthusiastic coach, a skier to die for, totally sweet.

If there was a problem, it was with who was allowed in. There were four or five groups based on ability. I'm a beginner bump skier but reasonably accomplished on-piste — high intermediate, say. Most in our group were low intermediates, and this frustrated our instructor, a strong level III. She had to spend time drilling the lower level skiers on-piste (stance leg, separation, counter, etc.), while giving specific tips to the two of us who had more going on. She did well under the circumstances, but it did cut our learning time some. That said, I learned enough to have something to work on for what remains of the season.

Donna only skied with us the second half of the second day, but she was inspiring. Few words, appropriate drills, lots of encouragement. If I can budget it (it was pretty reasonable), I'd do it again.
Did you eat up at the Peak lodge? I've seen Donna up there with clients.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier

That used to be my favorite Killington entry years ago. Sunshine or something like that? Sunrise? Park close, ride that lift to the midstation for a couple warm ups, then ride to the top to get to Bear Mountain.

The fact that there was always close in parking available, even arriving late, might be related to why they closed it.

I think you are referring to Sunrise at Killington: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/Vermont/killington/sunrise.php

To quote New England Ski History: "Circa 1998, the area was significantly truncated due to a variety of factors including poor snow quality (the lowest elevation terrain at Killington), terrain (rolling topography), lift ride time, cancelling Parker's Gore, and wanting to focus on a Pico interconnect (a proposed land swap)."

The proposed Parker's Gore area seems like it would have been pretty neat: http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/Vermont/killington/parkersgore.php

Sponsor

Staff online