• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Back to topic (please)

Killington was perfect today! We went in the afternoon, and the trails were still awesome, the lines nonexistent, the snow wonderful. Just amazing.

Okay, before I run out of superlatives -
It was actually better this afternoon. Things were a bit “firm” in spots this morning and the lines were worse. A lot of people bailed out early because of the cold and/or St. paddy’s hangovers. When I skied down to Killington base lodge around 2:30 the racks were practically empty.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL:D

That is the bathroom of the Matterhorn at Stowe. An legendary, classy and family friendly après ski jaunt - as you can tell from the photo
The one on the left was a Playboy centerfold when I was in college in the 1970's. I guess they haven't remodeled lately.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I made it up to Sunday River today - found a different bus company that seems to be pretty well run and quite cheap at $69 (https://brstransportation.com/).

My impressions for a first visit: I really like the beauty and layout of the mountain and the fact that the different trails are actually different trails and not the same trail divided by three trees or a pointless elbow. The snow conditions were good, but not uniformly. There was plenty of very firm wind buffed and skied off. I take it that they had a lot of wind which affected snow retention. There were nice glades and trails with soft bumps, as well as those with bumps and thin cover between (surprising how much snow fell last weeks). I didn't spend that much time seeking out softer snow-partly because I don't like skiing glades alone and partly because I was on Monster 88s and didn't really like the feel in bumps. If the resort is known for grooming I didn't really see the kind of plush corduroy that usually entails. I don't know enough about grooming to evaluate whether it wasn't done well, was skied out by the time I got on the hill after 10am.

Picture below is of the sun sinking down over Whitecap peak. The trail is White Heat which they describe as "the longest, steepest, widest lift-serviced expert trail in the East". The (I assume) groomed center was classic east coast scratch with some windblown powder on top. Most people were skidding tuns with various levels of finesse, (which just made it worse) but it was nice to see a few skiing it cleanly here and there (myself not included). To the left you can see where they left bumps which did a much better job of holding snow.
20180318_152845.jpg

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, when there is good snow Platty is a great place to go, especially when you add in the fact that it its rarely crowded. We were looking for you CC. Word was your wife was wearing flowery pants or jacket and you were in rust. We didn't see anyone matching that. Next time we'll set up a meetup spot.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not sure if you would have found us, after 17 years at Plattekill we were finding new some lines in the woods, some even way away from the ski area down to the access road.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Yes, when there is good snow Platty is a great place to go, especially when you add in the fact that it its rarely crowded. We were looking for you CC. Word was your wife was wearing flowery pants or jacket and you were in rust. We didn't see anyone matching that. Next time we'll set up a meetup spot.

Not sure what to make of he fact that everyone knows @Catskill carver's wife's outfit. Does make them easy to find. Sorry I missed this weekend. Poorly timed family crap.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if you would have found us, after 17 years at Plattekill we were finding new some lines in the woods, some even way away from the ski area down to the access road.
We actually unintentionally did some of that. There was much traversing back to the left once we realized we were no longer among other tracks and a small hike up to the snow tubing hill.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We actually unintentionally did some of that. There was much traversing back to the left once we realized we were no longer among other tracks and a small hike up to the snow tubing hill.
Yes, I blazed a new trail down the snow tubing course rather than plug alongside and then uphill back to civilization.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Where are all the masses? place looks deserted!

How is the havoc side, mogul runs?

Now sure where everyone was as the parking lot was FILLED!!!! That particular trail I went down was deserted but I did encounter quite a few people but not nearly enough to match all the cars in the lot!

Havoc side was bumped up, ungroomed gloriousness.

Although it hasn't been officially announced yet looks like closing day could potentially be extended until April 8th or 15th. Bromley is mandated to close by when the bears are close to coming out but this extra time is certainly awesome if it happens.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Someone at my SO's work just gave him 2 Okemo day passes; EXCELLENT. I've never been to Okemo and now I get to remedy that. We're headed to Bromley on Saturday as we have to work and we're headed to Reggae fest Sunday at Mount Snow. Might do a Killington/Okemo easter weekend since it's a long one.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
Is this storm tomorrow going to hit any major NE resorts?