• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I'm starting from the Snowshed Lodge.
The free meet the mountains tour start from Snowshed at 10 and 11. Our crew is busy attempting the 20th annual lift and bar challenge where we try to ride 17 different lifts and drink at 12 different bars. Over 6 feet of snow since the start of the month giving us the best conditions of the year.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The free meet the mountains tour start from Snowshed at 10 and 11. Our crew is busy attempting the 20th annual lift and bar challenge where we try to ride 17 different lifts and drink at 12 different bars. Over 6 feet of snow since the start of the month giving us the best conditions of the year.

Now THAT sounds fun. The mountain tour sounds good too :)

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Mount snow grooms most everything and they are very good about mentioning conditions in the daily snow report. One example was last week after a powder dumping they made specific mention in the snow report to stay on trail. I can't remember the specific lingo but the message was hey there's a sh!t ton of snow out there so please only stick to groomed trails, etc.

Tomorrow is also when mount snow kicks off st pattys day and trust me it's a party. Not sure if you are a passholder or not but if you need tickets go on line and grab them for $17 each tonight.

Have fun.

It's not really true that Mt. Snow "grooms everything.

Runs down the front, such as Exhibition can go the entire season without grooming. As can Uncles. Ridge and Snowdance will ALWAYS be boulevard smooth at opening.
On the North Face, Timbers gets the attention of the groomers, where Free Fall does not. Winch cats matter ;-)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
It's not really true that Mt. Snow "grooms everything.

Runs down the front, such as Exhibition can go the entire season without grooming. As can Uncles. Ridge and Snowdance will ALWAYS be boulevard smooth at opening.
On the North Face, Timbers gets the attention of the groomers, where Free Fall does not. Winch cats matter ;-)

I said they groom most everything. Everywhere I ski is groomed so that's my experience. Exhibition, ridge and snowdance have always been groomed when I've gone down them. Ego alley not so much. Sunbrook is groomed and much of the main face is. The north face is a different story. One of my friends who's a long time season passholder always talks about how mount snow grooms most everything. Not that I'd mind ungroomed trails but the odds are that any trail Jspsj will be on with his 7 year old will very much likely be groomed.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Runs down the front, such as Exhibition can go the entire season without grooming.

Recently, both Upper and Lower Ex has bumps, the former has bumps starting from the top of the lift. Further down Lower Ex the area started a freestyle program and placed two section of bumps. Each sections has different types of bumps, Upper is natural, Lower is seeded by groomers and the freestyle section is made by shovels.

Lower Ex is a great place to learn how to ski bumps, Upper Ex is unique in that the lines pulls you to your left given that's how most riders and skiers will run out to hit the groom section. Going thru the ridge section that naturally drops you to the right then you get to that nice steep part of Upper Ex. I always liked that sequences.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The last two days at Stowe. Storm total 31-40 inches, another 3-6 expected by saturday morning.

29244714_10157008981123357_1944892217438318285_n.jpg

Ben on the skinny skis

29313457_10157008982273357_2980717836754236876_n.jpg

The 125mm underfoot Spurs are way floaty

29244504_10157008984123357_7575465686923147530_n.jpg

Alex creating a wake.

29258648_10157008984768357_9214276574956852193_n.jpg

29249451_10157008985533357_3049269752113562013_n.jpg

Diane dissappearing

29261689_10157008986013357_8563322449166789415_n.jpg

me hoping the winds picks up this weekend makes everything fresh again.

29261870_10157008986838357_1824554766835245769_n.jpg

I can not promise any surface conditions but we will have a base for sure, for the gathering.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive

The tour sounds great. Thanks, Guy!

As for the lift & bar challenge, well, lifts o.k., but I'd need a sled after a bar or two.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm planning on skiing at Mount Snow tomorrow with my 7-year-old daughter. She's a really good skier for her age, but neither of us have skied after this much snow falling in so short a time. Are there special risks I/we should be aware of? If she falls in ungroomed snow, might she get buried? We can obviously feel it out carefully tomorrow, but just thought I'd ask given my limited experience in the sort of conditions we might see. (We've skied in snow with maybe 9 inches of fresh stuff on top, and when we have dipped into trees it is usually on a path that's clearly been skied on before.)

Today's snow report at Mount Snow. Groomers to be had at Sunbrook and the Main face totaling 58 out of 85 groomed runs. North face was untouched by groomers and will is au natural today.

Have a blast!!!

https://www.mountsnow.com/ski-ride/snow-report/

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tough job. I feel for you.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stowe is...epic today.

Went up early and ended up getting fresh tracks on Goat top to bottom

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe report for Friday March 16th. Don’t believe what @LKLA said. It was super icy! Uhh, yeah, that’s it! It musta rained and froze up. You’ll want to ski New Hampshire this weekend. Leave Stowe to the trained professionals such as myself until I can ensure your safety on these awful conditions.

Due to today’s windy conditions and slow running lifts, I was only able to do a safety check on a few trails. There is much work left to be done. Hopefully I can get the mountain in decent shape in time for the gathering.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Honestly I hope its gets colder and windy over the weekend, and trail turn to chop. The new epic pass holder with some exceptions are a soft bunch who want 30 degrees and sunny. I do have a trail cut group of 7 10 year old rippers for the reminder of the season.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
NIce try Kevin. One of the negatives of the cheap Epic pass is more bodies on the hill. And next year with Stowe on the Epic Local.........

I would say that on 75% of the runs I was the only person within 100 yards. On one or two runs I did not see a single person (blue trails).

But yes, Stowe is very crowded. Best to head to Killington or Okemo.:D

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Planning a trip to Blue Mt. PA on Friday and I am looking for a snow report after the storm tomorrow. Thanks:)
So I had a great day at Blue today. It was groomed and just a little firm for the first hour but very skiable, it got a little softer as the morning went on, it was a fine mix of man made with a little natural snow. It was one of those days when everything was firing on all cylinders, felt good, no crowd, and a little sun. It was a bit windy but not enough to close any of the chairs. By 2:30 PM one or two icy spots got scraped off but no big patches and skied until a little after 3 PM and headed home.

jspsj

Putting on skis
Skier
Well, my daughter and I arrived at Mount Snow around 9:40, and after inching through a variety of parking lots with people waiving us on to the next lot, we finally arrived back where our parking lot tour started (25 minutes later) without having passed an available spot. Quite discouraging, especially with non-refundable (though admittedly heavily discounted) tickets. I’ve been at Mount Snow when lift lines are frustratingly long, but even on those days parking was easy to come by. We decided to cut our losses and drive to Stratton. Snow there was awesome—best I’ve experienced in New England—and there were no lines! Even with the late start, we got about 15 runs in, mostly on blacks and blues. Not bad, especially when skiing with a first grader. She took her time at lunch, but was all business on the trails! Thanks for the advice on this forum yesterday.

Sponsor

Staff online