• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At some point, James decided he wanted to try my Stockli Laser AX skis, so he took them and I got my other skis out of the car.

Why didn't you just get on his skis?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We skied till 5 pm (K has Saturday-only extended hours).

Blue skies all day. By mid-afternoon almost everygthing had softened up a lot.

Makes me wish I'd schlepped over there instead of riding my bike through a cold dry hurricane all afternoon.

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_5085.JPG
Mdf top of Lower Ovation.

Gorgeous day for the Dazed and Defrosted festival. Insane parking due to Ramshead,Snowshed closing and lack of shuttles. I've never seen so many cars squeezed in up there in K lot. I parked in a secret location which will only be revealed in exchange for a 177cm Stovkli AX.

We were horrible with photos... took almost none. Too much argscussion
on ski matters.

IMG_5086.JPG
Sun starting to get behind some of the Mt. Highline trail in back.€(

(
Why didn't you just get on his skis?
Hmmm...good question. It was an option. They were slaloms though, so the 189 Automatics came out. I did bring another pair but there was no way I was walking 3/4 mile to go get them for little benefit and loss of slalom addiction. (So nice in the cornish)

The 184 Stockli AX's were a welcome treat. Nice to have some length for more speed on the laps down the lucious soft merengue and corn on Bunny Buster and below. Lovely feel to the ski from engagement of the front to the very nice tail. Lots of subtlety available in those turns. On the steeps of Double Dipper or Cascade it was a lot of work though making short turns. Pretty heavy ski, substantial ski. We,(me/myself/I) were unanimous in the ski being excessive in the length for the owner. @Drahtguy Kevin needs to acquire a 177 so they can trade.
But wait, maybe it needs further testing...

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We,(me/myself/I) were unanimous in the ski being excessive in the length for the owner. @Drahtguy Kevin needs to acquire a 177 so they can trade.

Dawg's site still lists 175s and 167s. Worth a call to find out the real price. I'm sure M & K can work something out at A Basin. I would love to see @mdf bond with a normal east coast ski, and I don't think the 183 is gonna be it either.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
@newboots Sadly, I'm working this glorious weekend.. making $$ for skiing next winter is only way to console myself. Take runs for me. I hope your bag turns up. that stinks especially the glasses!!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But wait, maybe it needs further testing...
With more time I think you would make friends with them. My first day on them I thought they were nearly unskiable. Five days in, I like them

By the way, I didn't feel like carrying them inside last night, so they are still adjusted to your boots.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Going to go to Jay next weekend for one last kick at the cat. Hoping the weather stays nice and I can enjoy some spring skiing, with sun, soft snow , beer on the patio, and maybe a burger on the bbq.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
If anything, it’s even more bluebird today at Killington. Learned my lesson and arrived around 7:30. The parking lot is a hazard but better than parking at Snowshed and hiking a couple miles.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sugarloaf is likely to close in a couple of weeks {there was speculation of next weekend, more likely another}......with 90% of the mountain fully covered, which is not unusual. Going to be a lot of uphill travel at that point. Torture every year, at this time, for us as we have a lot of other spring/summer things to tend to. Spring arrives at the Loaf!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Josh was trying to articulate that the Jay tram cable was derrailled a few days ago and they shut down that side of the mountain for safety reasons (if the cable broke it would kill anything near it). Just the Jet lift running now.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
If spring skiing gets any better than today, I would be amazed.

Not a cloud in the sky, Warm air and wonderful splashy corn.

Hmmm... My hips and butt muscles are barking...........;-)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
IMG_4579.PNG

They'll close LOADED with snow. No longer considered a big "thing" to be the last to close, with very little revenue coming in door. Most are on a pass, or using a ticket of some sort bought long ago. Skiing is great.....

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I made it over to Mt. Snow today to help shut the place down. Took my first run a little after 9:00 and it was some pretty nice corn to start. Met up with @Steve and his crew. We cruised a bit. Headed over to the North Face far too early -- definitely solid over there until early in the afternoon. Front side was getting kinda mushy after lunch, so we headed back to the North Face which was starting to soften up nicely.

Found some bump runs which were adventure skiing (i.e., dodge the rocks) and found some bump runs which were pretty much full-on send. So I skied bump runs until they shut the North Face down at 3:30. Took a lap on Ripcord which had been recently groomed... somebody on the lift had told me that it was "perfection" and "heading back over there", so I followed him over as I wasn't sure where it was exactly. Let's just say his idea of "perfection" and mine are two different things... I thought it was bulletproof. I watched somebody below me pretty much tumble the whole way down it. He seemed to be ok though.

Headed back to the front side after the North Face was shut down, but my legs were destroyed, so I called it a day (season?) around 3:45. @mdf would not be impressed.

Coverage overall was remarkably good. One or two bumps runs which were a bit thin and some other occasional bare spots on the front side, but for the most part, you could just ski. Base area was getting close to pond skimming by the end of the day. Impressive for April 22nd.

Sponsor

Staff online