• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you guys enjoy spring yesterday? It seems like spring used to last at least 3 or 4 days in the old days. Welcome to summer!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Berkshire East is moving to buy Catamount. Hopefully they can put together a season pass good at both - would be great for CT/MA/NY daytrippers.- both have a decent pitch and a relatively uncrowded.

I learned to ski last year at B East - only on weekends. Except for the occasional race mobs (which only crowded the lodge, not the mountain or the lifts), it was never crowded. It was a great, homey place, old-fashioned, family-run. I hope they can do for Catamount what they've done for Berkshire East.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
last time I skied at B East, the owner was directing spots at the parking lots. Heard he always tried to run thing in a fiscally responsible way, all the best wishes to him if he interested in Catamount

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Wrapped up things for us a Killington this past weekend.

Ungroomed and bumps all the way, all day. Saturday was the bluebird gorgeous day. We skied, we ate, we drank. Sunday wasn't as nice of a day being overcast but it's New England so be it. All weekend we skied and socialized and tailgated with our new friends and had lots of chit chat with people along the mountain as we skied down. Ran into a couple Bromley folks as well. Our season used to end about the end of March, early April but now we'll ski till near the very end. Conditions were a mixture of ice, crud and semi soft bumps. I don't worry so much about being run over this time of year because I honestly think this stuff is much tougher to ski in so it weeds out a lot of people.

Sad to be wrapping it up after this weekend. If we lived closer I'd be there till they shut bittersweet and skylark but we have a 3.5 hour trek and i think it's a good time to wrap things up.

It'll be fall before we know it so for now it's time to enjoy a little summer.

Ready to start it up again come October.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Last edited:

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
We still have a few options in the East, even if you want to ride a chairlift...and both ski areas are looking beyond this weekend.
This weekend:
K = Friday-Sunday
MSS = Friday-Monday

I hate to admit it, but I don't know what MSS is.
What is it?

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
@LiquidFeet I believe that's Mont Saint Sauveur. Saint-Sauveur, Quebec, 45 minutes north of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in the Laurentian mountains. I had to google it's specific location as I've never been there.

Yep, Mont St-Sauveur or Sommet St-Sauveur as it is called now. MSS is the first open and late to close in the Eastern Canada.

Here is a post I did in May 2 years ago (there was definitely more snow last weekend);

Mont St-Sauveur QC – May 14 & 22, 2016 : May Repeat
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2016/06/09/mont-st-sauveur-qc-may-14-22-2016-may-repeat/

Or my instagram which is current (last Saturday and Sunday):

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@MadPatSki OMG MSS has one of those moving carpet chair loading things too. Mount Snow has one as does Mont Orford in Orford, Quebec. I'm used to it now but the first time I saw one at Orford I went WTF is that. I was so focused on the "carpet moving" and wondering what happened when you reached the end of the carpet that the chair came up behind me and scared the hell out of me lol. Very used to it now but it was weird to me at first.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Uh oh, Here's the top part of the Drift from Killington today

How long will the longest season in the East last? Only time will tell but one thing’s certain—it will definitely last through this weekend. Killington groomers patched up the superstar head wall this week, leaving us with solid coverage for another weekend of excellent spring skiing and riding. The Superstar Express Quad will turn Friday from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and Saturday & Sunday from
8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Since they are patching the headwall does that mean that Upper sky lark, and lower skylark and lower bittersweet didn't survive the week. Guess we'll see tomorrow. I unfortunately will not be there but I'm curious.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
RIP Skylark and Bittersweet. Killington is now down to Superstah......................... I really wish I'd come up last weekend but had to be responsible and take my cat to the vet but trust I'd have rather been skiing.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
RIP Skylark and Bittersweet. Killington is now down to Superstah......................... I really wish I'd come up last weekend but had to be responsible and take my cat to the vet but trust I'd have rather been skiing.
When you say lets go pet the kitty it means to hike up and take a lap on Catwalk.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
MSS is still planning to spin until Sunday.
Wow It would be possible to party atop Skyepeak until the owls come out with my Killington family sleep then drive North to repeat. Is the closing day celebration at MSS worth the drive for someone that doesn’t speak French? Are there some sweet steep springtime bump runs? Intriguing idea.

MadPatSki

Putting on skis
Skier
Is the closing day celebration at MSS worth the drive for someone that doesn’t speak French? Are there some sweet steep springtime bump runs? Intriguing idea.
I've seen many great closing day celebrations, MSS is not one of them.
There is one run open, the Hill 70 pitch isn't very steep, but there have been some zipper lines the last few weekends. I've posted some pics on instagram/Ski Mad World FB page.

Not sure if that is going to work? (okay, it posted all from the day's post. If you move through the pictures, you'll see the videos of the Olympians).

This past Monday. Video of Jean-Luc Brassard, gold medalist in the 1994 Olympics.

Saturday May 13, current champion, Michael Kingsbury.

weatherman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Shameless plug: I am running a ski trip to St Anton with an optional extension to Prague in February 2019. I'd love to see some of you there.

Please think about joining me to explore the cradle of skiing. The après scene in St Anton is legendary. The off-piste skiing is some of the best in the Alps. For those who have not skied in the Alps before, it dwarfs anything that you will find in North America. The scale of the Arlberg ski area is several times larger than the largest Western ski areas.

St Anton, Austria - Feb 1 - 9, 2019
$2,250 / person, double occupancy
Single supplement $350

• Nonstop flight between BOS & Zurich on SWISS
  • One free checked bag plus ski gear flies free
  • Group transfers between airport and hotel
  • 7 nights 3* Hotel Nassereiner Hof in St. Anton (double occ.)
  • 4-course Dinner each evening at Hotel Nassereiner Hof
  • Wine and cheese party upon arrival in St. Anton
  • Full European Buffet breakfast daily
  • Optional day trip to Innsbruck
  • Int’l Departure Taxes, Fuel Surcharge & Security Fees totaling $380*
*Currently $250 fuel & $130 Taxes are subject to change

Prague, Czech Republic - Feb 9 - 12, 2019
$300 / person, double occupancy
Single supplement $150
Inclusions:

• flight to/from Prague and group transfers
  • ½-day city tour,
  • lodging at 4* Hotel Grand Majestic Plaza
  • European Buffet Breakfast
Payment schedule:

• 1st third due with registration
  • 2nd third due by September 25, 2018
  • Final balance due by December 11, 2018
  • Send checks to ACE Ski and Board Club, c/o Bryan Woods, 49 School St, N Chelmsford, MA 01863
Tentative flight itinerary:
Fri 01 Feb 2019
LX053 9:45 pm BOS 11:00 am ZRH

Sat 09 Feb 2019
LX052 5:25 pm ZRH 8:05 pm BOS

EXTENSION

Fri 01 Feb 2019
LX053 9:45 pm BOS 11:00 am ZRH

Sat 09 Feb 2019
LX1486 12:45 pm ZRH 2:05 pm PRG

Tue 12 Feb 2019
LX1487 2:45 pm PRG LX52 5:25 ZRH 8:05 pm BOS

Optional trip insurance:

Notes:

• There are a very limited number of single rooms available.
  • Your passport must be valid a full 6-months after our return date.
  • You'll need to join a ski club to go on the trip, but membership is only $30 for a single, $50 for a couple. And that entitles you to some amazing lift ticket deals to be announced in July.
Lift tickets:
Based on last year's feedback, lift tickets are not included and will be left up to the individual. Prices range from 54.50 EUR for 1 day to 289 EUR for 6 days.

Register online via Google Forms: https://goo.gl/forms/kWfQAjVgx1OVhSAD3

Sponsor

Staff online