• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Skinny skis are just a lack of imagination for where the soft snow is ogsmile.

This is not entirely incorrect. Especially at famously windy mountains :)

Reactions: nay

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The incoming storm continues to be interesting. It’s supposed to wrap up into a Four Corners low and seems to be less moisture starved than in earlier forecasts.

The models are still projecting a northerly flow as it moves east where we’d expect NE flow up against the foothills.

All of this favors the SW mountains in a big way, but the Continental Divide could do pretty well depending on how organized the closed low gets. They usually don’t this time of year, but it’s beem a weird year.

Either way, Sunday looks good. This is for Bakerville.

3536C2B8-5E08-4357-A02C-AADA0C44B195.png

And this is a baby bunny in a teacup.

B875B230-A297-4F97-B94B-F227CE7DD2DD.png

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC

In a normal year where it's constantly snowing I'd agree but not this year. Every time I'm on my Motive 86s I'm like man, I love these skis. Doesn't matter what the conditions are so even on planned groomer family days when I end up off-piste in the trees or skinning bumps, I'm stoked on the choice of skis. Unless there is fresh powder, every time I'm on my 108s I wish I was on my skinny skis and these Line Supernatural can carve up groomers but it's not as fun. Everything is slightly muted like driving a Subaru vs a sports car.

It reminds me of kayaking. If I'm paddling some high class rapids, a Dagger Mamba or Liquid Logic Remix is the safe (high volume) bet as it will punch thru everything without me doing much but a Dagger Axiom or LL Party Braap is so much more playful and fun.

With all of the hard pack days this winter if I could only have one pair it would be in the 85-93 range but that's why we have quivers, cuz yeah, on those powder days, the 100+ skis are magical.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier

In a normal year where it's constantly snowing I'd agree but not this year. Every time I'm on my Motive 86s I'm like man, I love these skis. Doesn't matter what the conditions are so even on planned groomer family days when I end up off-piste in the trees or skinning bumps, I'm stoked on the choice of skis. Unless there is fresh powder, every time I'm on my 108s I wish I was on my skinny skis and these Line Supernatural can carve up groomers but it's not as fun. Everything is slightly muted like driving a Subaru vs a sports car.

It reminds me of kayaking. If I'm paddling some high class rapids, a Dagger Mamba or Liquid Logic Remix is the safe (high volume) bet as it will punch thru everything without me doing much but a Dagger Axiom or LL Party Braap is so much more playful and fun.

With all of the hard pack days this winter if I could only have one pair it would be in the 85-93 range but that's why we have quivers, cuz yeah, on those powder days, the 100+ skis are magical.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Partly this is preference. I prefer my Subaru to a sports car, especially when we're actually talking about skis. I prefer the muting of irregularities and the ability to cruise without vigilance. And the hope of a few soft turns - more than a hope when one knows a mountain intimately - is well worth any perceived sacrifice.

To me.

Reactions: nay

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
The incoming storm continues to be interesting. It’s supposed to wrap up into a Four Corners low and seems to be less moisture starved than in earlier forecasts.

The models are still projecting a northerly flow as it moves east where we’d expect NE flow up against the foothills.

All of this favors the SW mountains in a big way, but the Continental Divide could do pretty well depending on how organized the closed low gets. They usually don’t this time of year, but it’s beem a weird year.

Either way, Sunday looks good. This is for Bakerville.

View attachment 37617

And this is a baby bunny in a teacup.

View attachment 37618

Yes, I think Sunday at Loveland could be stellar! Today, not so much. My wife wasn't feeling well so we bailed on Copper and I hit Luv to check out Chair 8's opening. It was a Sastrugi-fest. Luv was serving up a lot of crusty cold Sastrugis and some luke-warm, somewhat soft Sastrugis that were fairly tasty but there weren't enough of those. However, it was only a couple of inches deep so it should be a great, non-chopped up base for what's coming this weekend. There are so many areas with rocks sticking 2-4" out of the snow so Sunday could be the largest P-tex sacrifice of the year at Luv if they get 4-6" at opening on Sunday as it will be just enough to cover them. It will be worth the risk though!

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last edited:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More people here today than Wed and Thu combined. Got a little blustery in the afternoon but nothing bad. I *think* it hit 48 degrees. It was a beautiful sunny day.

Eek! That’s not good. Especially for Copper Bowl. Maybe Eldora calls my name for tomorrow since I’ve done no packing for my trip to Nevada on Sunday.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I said this earlier today...

The Continental Divide could do pretty well depending on how organized the closed low gets. They usually don’t this time of year, but it’s been a weird year.

Seems she’s getting organized, noting the winter storm watch for all of NE Colorado consistent with a strong southern track closed low.

4A43EA77-8A7E-4CA8-8904-C58ED2830034.png

Here’s the current advisories map. Big change from 12 hours ago. Let’s see if it holds. 20” would be tasty.

A5CDA7DE-FD42-4B04-B5DD-20E032D74DC8.png

BTW, t-shirt weather in warm before the storm Denver. Quite a paradox of running the AC in my truck picking up a driveshaft while the CDOT trucks were dropping their pre-treatment brine solution everywhere.

5C4C1DBD-28F5-463B-AC83-8BD52A7DAAFF.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yes, I think Sunday at Loveland could be stellar! Today, not so much. My wife wasn't feeling well so we bailed on Copper and I hit Luv to check out Chair 8's opening. It was a Sastrugi-fest. Luv was serving up a lot of crusty cold Sastrugis and some luke-warm, somewhat soft Sastrugis that were fairly tasty but there weren't enough of those. However, it was only a couple of inches deep so it should be a great, non-chopped up base for what's coming this weekend. There are so many areas with rocks sticking 2-4" out of the snow so Sunday could be the largest P-tex sacrifice of the year at Luv if they get 4-6" at opening on Sunday as it will be just enough to cover them. It will be worth the risk though!

I was planning on hitting Luv today, but had a hunch it was going to be a pre-storm Italian sandwich kind of day, and I had an extra glass of wine with dinner instead. Glad to hear I made the right choice as I figured I’d pay that day forward to next week’s stormier forecast.

Plans are for Sunday. I’m going to have to leave around 5. Yay.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
LOL! im taking today off as well, need to rest up some parts. Getting some much needed body work done.Cautiously optimistic about tomorrow.

NOAA is still calling for 5-10

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was planning on hitting Luv today, but had a hunch it was going to be a pre-storm Italian sandwich kind of day, and I had an extra glass of wine with dinner instead. Glad to hear I made the right choice as I figured I’d pay that day forward to next week’s stormier forecast.

Plans are for Sunday. I’m going to have to leave around 5. Yay.

I'll be there. Hoping for the best but trying to keep my expectations in check so I'm not disappointed. Glad more terrain is open so hopefully it doesn't track out too quicklyl

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid