• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
If this were at an angle, it could be the Upper Dunes at Breck (rather than an image I stole off the internet):

6307.jpg

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year - a below year for snowpack early even though snow picked up late - in some places a good base for powder never formed. This was true of the back side of Copper, Mt. Chief lift especially, but also places on Union Peak. This year may well be worse. I sure hope not.

@surfandski, please don't get rid of your Spurs just yet. You may yet be glad for those huge critters. Yes, we get less in inches than the West Coast, but we get light, dry, champagne powder. Not as much heavy wet, I gather. 6" falls during a day, then 6-8 more at night, a few more before lift opens, and you have a pretty standard stellar day on the Frontrange, maybe 20+ or so times an average winter. I used fatter skis 34 out of 101 days even last winter, picking days for soft 3+" and up. Maybe as many as two dozen of those you'd probably have been very happy on even those big Spurs.

For example, once Lift 9 and Lift 8 open at Luv, and have enough base (usually a month or more ago), Spurs = big smiles on 3+" days. Same would be true at Copper, especially if the backside terrain gets enough base. (Last year was the first time that didn't happen fully since maybe 11/12 or so, as best as I can recall.) And Winter Park will have some really wonderful pow/crud days, no matter what. :)

P.S. On a pow/crud day, I hope they have Balsh, Bash and Mulligan's Mile* up there in Valhalla, or whatever Heaven for skiers might be called.

* classic Winter Park runs

Last edited:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
A week late but had a great couple of days last week at Breck. Ullr-fest pleased the god and he rewarded the mountain with 5ish" for Thursday and 10+" for Friday. And the opening of the top of Peak 6 was fantastic.

20180112_Ullr-Fest.JPG
20180112_132408.jpg
20180112_100330.jpg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Sorry... I don't mean to laugh... but you just called the Monster 88 narrow. You people out west are funny. ogwink

jajaja yeah, for us thats narrow...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wait, my narrow ski right now is 96 ...

Sponsor

Staff online