• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'll be there. Hoping for the best but trying to keep my expectations in check so I'm not disappointed. Glad more terrain is open so hopefully it doesn't track out too quicklyl

It should convert to wind buff again as it gets skied like the last storm. Here’s Bakerville - up on the mountain should do better. Bigger question may be how much of the open higher terrain is skiable in the wind and snow.

FBAFB068-AB8A-4019-B5CF-1D1C1C98FE7D.png

Winter storm watches converted to warnings.

0A4579B7-2F22-4374-B289-BB31508AB484.png

BFF2DFE8-CB4A-4FAC-8B16-B2FB1EF02E3A.png

For the urban corridor travelers, they are also calling for a period of freezing drizzle before the snow. We did the slip ‘n slide dance with the summer tire club last Monday.

Gotta leave before the lemmings head for the cliff again.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
It should convert to wind buff again as it gets skied like the last storm. Here’s Bakerville - up on the mountain should do better. Bigger question may be how much of the open higher terrain is skiable in the wind and snow.

View attachment 37675

Winter storm watches converted to warnings.

View attachment 37676

View attachment 37677

For the urban corridor travelers, they are also calling for a period of freezing drizzle before the snow. We did the slip ‘n slide dance with the summer tire club last Monday.

Gotta leave before the lemmings head for the cliff again.

If that happens (freezing drizzle before the snow) its gonna be MEGA dangerous around here (C470, i25 and i70). There are just too many vehicles with crappy tires here in town and so far it hasnt been an issue since we have had basically no snow down here.

Regarding the snowpack, the divide got HAMMERED by winds yesterday. So the new snow is gonna fall either on bare ground or wind slab, wind buffed areas. If the snow starts wet it might bond well, if not, slide city.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Some really excellent wind buff today if you're willing to hunt and side step through some vegetable matter.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If that happens (freezing drizzle before the snow) its gonna be MEGA dangerous around here (C470, i25 and i70). There are just too many vehicles with crappy tires here in town and so far it hasnt been an issue since we have had basically no snow down here.

Regarding the snowpack, the divide got HAMMERED by winds yesterday. So the new snow is gonna fall either on bare ground or wind slab, wind buffed areas. If the snow starts wet it might bond well, if not, slide city.

Monday was like that from Monument to past Castle Rock on I-25, especially around Larkspur where enough black ice formed to create a sudden bumper cars affair that we were able to skirt, fortunately.

Probably still not much if any slide prone terrain open yet, so I’m thinking the greater risk is road closures for avy control.

Either way, I’m leaving at 5:30. Family members are currently deciding whether they want to hit the urban road warrior to ski event or just hunker down in the first nice storm of the season at home.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just be careful. We just watched a weather update and they are talking freezing fog, freezing drizzle, then snow with periods of heavy snow and 40 mph winds. White out conditions possible and expect road closures. Even if you make it to Luv make sure you have the right goggles. Flat light there can be a pita.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yesterday, a Breck friend asked me what my prediction would be for today. I said 6" on the stake and I hoped it would keep snowing throughout the day.

So far, I was right!

I wonder about the snow consistency. It was so warm yesterday! Supposed to be cold today, it doesn't seem that way yet. It seems fairly fluffy around the condo.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
Wow, is that it? I'm not seeing a whole lot on the radar but hopefully it restrengthens like Joel suggests. It appears we actually got more snow in Georgetown than Luv did up on the mountain.

Looks like:
Copper 4"
WP 5"
Luv 3.5"
Steamboat 3.5"
Breck is saying 6".....
Aspen about 6"

Should be a fun day pretty much everywhere!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just went out to the car and we got 6" in G-town so the kids will be stoked when they wake up! It was accumulating here well before the Luv snow cams last night so I guess that makes sense but still surprising. My son just came down....yep, he's stoked!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Another @surfandski meet-up at the Roost :beercheer:

We’ve been lapping far skiers left on Chair 8 untracked perfect density bottomless runs. Easily some of the best of the season, it just set up perfectly over there.

First runs more down the middle not too shabby...

1DC5F00E-A58B-41D5-BAF6-35970696EAC3.jpeg

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Here’s the boy on the Bent Chetlers he spent some summer earnings acquiring. This was before we found the deeper lines almost nobody was skiing.

I had accused him of a jinx, but that’s over. He just needed some bindings for his birthday.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Had to call it early today =/ . The heavy snow was not interacting well with my already-tetchy knee. But hey, lots of fresh before that, including rope drop at Deb's.

Heavy snow is good for building up the base, so I'm happy.

Breck reported 6", which felt about right, and it kept coming the whole time I was there. And is still. Sigh.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had to call it early today =/ . The heavy snow was not interacting well with my already-tetchy knee. But hey, lots of fresh before that, including rope drop at Deb's.

Heavy snow is good for building up the base, so I'm happy.

Breck reported 6", which felt about right, and it kept coming the whole time I was there. And is still. Sigh.

I feel you Monique. My ankle was not happy today which is not a shocker since it was my 7th straight. The first 5-7 runs on 3-4” fresh we're tasty and not too painful but I earned/paid for every turn after that.

Wow just got on I70 and it's a parking lot.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I feel you Monique. My ankle was not happy today which is not a shocker since it was my 7th straight. The first 5-7 runs on 3-4” fresh we're tasty and not too painful but I earned/paid for every turn after that.

That's typical for i70 on a Sunday afternoon on a powder day

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Winter Park appears to be the standout mountain today with 10" so far and it's still coming down. My legs are not going to be happy but if it keeps dumping after the bell, I'm going to be forced to partake tomorrow.

WP locals- where are some good trees or other terrain to go for
leftovers?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

I couldn't do 7 days at this point. No way.

I had a bunch of soft/untracked skiing this morning, but I'm glad I bailed when I did. I decided to take my "favorite" little slalom-y tree shot part way back to the base, and I had a lot of trouble making the turns because my leg wouldn't behave. And there was more rock in there than I (foolishly) expected - found some "fun" diagonal scratches on my freshly tuned bases. Smearing on rocks is not so great.

And even after that, the last few turns to the lift were painful and poorly executed.

Honestly, I could have done a few more soft snow runs, but I would have been a mess getting back to the base.

Yeah, our plan is to check traffic at 8pm, then (probably) wake up early to drive home tomorrow. I have a meeting at 11am that I really want to intend in person. I will not be best pleased if it turns out everyone stayed home for snow, LOL.

Sponsor

Staff online