• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Hopefully the next month shapes up well for y'all. Loveland was sure sweet last spring when I skied it the 2nd week in April!
Yes, it was!
IMG_0914.JPG
This was April 28 of '17 and it was skiing quite excellent that day. It then proceeded to dump 10" more that evening and next morning.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
20180314_124833.jpg The view from Breck today.

I skied with @aveski at Breck today. We started on groomers going from Peak 8 to 9 to 10 and then back to 8. By that time we were warmed up and had our share of zoomer groomers and headed toward Imperial where we met up with Marty.

20180314_114425_South High Street.jpg
@aveski (l), @Doug Briggs (r)

We traversed over to and then down Whales Tail to a middling traverse. Marty and Ave went down CJs whereas I took a more circuitous route through the scrub brush and unskied sections between Y and CJs. I encountered wind filled terrain and soft yet supportive snow. We lapped T-Bar to Imperial for another run in CJs on our way to Peak 6. While we were resting there, CJ skied on by and since he never stops during a run continued on.

A run on 6 was enough to call it a day.

For a winter of little snow and weeks since significant snowfall, the mountain was very nice. The groomers had nicely edge-able snow and I was enjoying the 17m MX 88s to their fullest. It was fun showing another Pugski'er my mountain.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
I'm headed to Denver in 6 days, then spending 5 days skiing a mix of Summit and Eagle counties (will primarily be skiing Vail / BC). Crazy that our local resort in West Virginia has gotten 68 inches of snow in the past 8 days, yet it's so dry in Colorado. Anyone skied Vail's bowls, Blue Sky, or Beaver Creek lately? Any risk of terrain closings in the next week?

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm headed to Denver in 6 days, then spending 5 days skiing a mix of Summit and Eagle counties (will primarily be skiing Vail / BC). Crazy that our local resort in West Virginia has gotten 68 inches of snow in the past 8 days, yet it's so dry in Colorado. Anyone skied Vail's bowls, Blue Sky, or Beaver Creek lately? Any risk of terrain closings in the next week?

No, and the mtns are supposed to get some snow tomorrow and Sunday/Monday. Both Vail and BC were skiing better than expected last week for me. Coverage is thin lower down in the trees but much better higher up. I found lots of untracked powder in Upper Stone Creek Chutes at BC last week, so just poke around. If you can, ski Breck and ABasin as well - with their higher elevation, both are skiing better than Vail/BC. Summit County in general has received a good deal more snow than Vail/BC. The bowls up high at Breck have nice, chalky turns.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Between tonight and Monday a LOT of snow might fall so conditions might actually be excellent when you arrive. There is always a chance that little snow falls though so keep looking at the webcams. Right now its warm so conditions are spring-like meaning crusty in the morning and softer later on. Coverage is thin in places. I would avoid areas below 10500 feet. Up high there are still winter snow conditions in more northern aspects.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
oops, 39* and snowing heavy again; Welcome spring

That’s the forecast - banded snow driven by warming convective instability.

We are under advisory for 5-10”, but many places may be all of nothing. If I was betting, I’d do that whole “who does best in spring convective setups” thing and also “who does best drawing out tails of storms on a NE track across CO?” Rinse and repeat.

I was going to make that bet tomorrow, but I got hosed.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Went to A Basin today. Got there at about 11:00 AM. Already in the mid 30's and sunshine. Coverage looks pretty low. It certainly does NOT look like or ski like the 51" base. more like 30". That said. Snow was quite good all over with a wide range of conditions encountered depending on aspect.

I first went up Pali lift and looking around the spine looked the best and not as bumpy. It was chalky goodness! Pretty mellow, easy snow to ski. Bumps got pretty large down low and again, the exit out of there, in true A Basin fashion, was a mess. Skis came out unscathed though. I really kept speeds under 25 at all times. I was skiing on the Black Crows Navis Freebird (185cm) with the Dynafits and they worked amazingly well all day.

A few pics of The Spine and Pali:

IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0713.JPG

After this I did a few runs on the easier frontside. Dabbled in some trees. Snow was again chalky / loose chalk. Really nice.

Then I went up Lenawee, hiked up to the Zuma Cornice and skied all the way to End Zone. Snow was soft, hot pow. the crust had melted in the sun so it was super soft. The extra width of the Navis really helped here and made it super fun. That said, man, it was an exercise in rock avoidance. Just before getting to Larkspur I got "rocked out" and had to traverse a bit to save my skis. That terrain is MEGA fun with more coverage but even today it was decent.

Some pics of that area:

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0718.JPG

After that I did a few runs on the front side and while chilling at mid mountain it really clouded up and I heard loud thunder and skied down to the lot. Graupel was also coming down pretty good. Yes, graupel. :eek:

IMG_0720.JPG

Snow conditions were really fun but coverage was thin so that hindered the experience a bit. Felt a bit like late May. #prayforsnow!

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spring conditions at Copper today too. Down low it actually go slushy in spots. Up higher the snow was pretty good on the front side. Nice and soft after that warm sun had its way with it. Overall not a bad day. Snow didn't start until my boots were off so it had to be after 4:20 p.m.

@tball the skies to the east did look menacing at times but no lightning or thunder. I did get a call from a friend who lives in Evergreen and he said it was raining pretty good at his house. Oh well I guess it's getting closer to the end. 4 weeks and a couple of days to go for Copper.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
If I was betting, I’d do that whole “who does best in spring convective setups” thing and also “who does best drawing out tails of storms on a NE track across CO?” Rinse and repeat.

Hope some of you made that obvious bet :golfclap:. There is nobody at Loveland right now looking at the webcams. Including me :huh:. That’s a foot of fresh off the ridge and it should be so right side up. Gonna be an amazing day.

9D3A31B6-53B4-4AD0-A31B-05CE936A577D.png

B1904450-48F9-44B2-86B8-E8CA94229194.png

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online