• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We hope to drive out for a week after Easter. So let's hope for continuing dumpage.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
we're off to a good start so far this am. Snow can as of 4:45AM. its a foot and piling up. its still all out nuking. it was in the teens when the snow started and its currently 8*. I used my last 1st tracks pass on a hunch.

Edit: at 5am, there was almost another inch on the stake. Damn.....

1521456291978_800x450.jpg

Last edited:

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
38B33A1A-819B-4726-8BA9-AA3A821BBEC4.png

Granddaughter got in Saturday. We got our Cirque Sled passes yesterday in anticipation of this storm, with another forecast to come later in the week.

Edit: 7:10- Snowing again.

Last edited:

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was up in Steamboat last Thurs and Friday. Friday was the better day of the two, but man I was spent from going out all night. I did enjoy the trees between barUE and Storm Peak. Base was so loud I had to listen to tunes. Up in Snowmass solo on Thurs night in hopes of catching decent Friday into Sat. Holler if anyone is around or you see a guy dressed in olive top black bottoms on moment sticks.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This weekend I was at Loveland being a starter for the DJ Tengdin Memorial races.

20180317_072020_Continental Court.jpg
The northern Ten Mile Range on the way to Loveland.

20180317_072029_Fairview Boulevard.jpg
Breckenridge.

20180317_085056.jpg
Loveland Basin from the top of Twist at the Valley.

20180317_092627.jpg
My best turns for the day.

20180317_120058.jpg
Sl courses on Twist.

20180317_121458.jpg
Your starter. 'Racer ready.... Go!'

sharingProfile2018-03-17T12-05-28.436-06-00.jpeg
A graphic describing the day of a starter. I started the session late. I was on the mountain at since 8:30 with a speed of zero.

sharingMetrics2018-03-17T12-05-28.436-06-00.jpeg
The run out.

Enjoy the snow today. I'm workin' and paintin'.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
upload_2018-3-19_13-43-29.jpeg

so we got 16" of very light blower but up another 500-600' there was another 3-5". Deepest day at the boat this sseason. Seriously good. No pics. It was nuking all morning and who wants to stop for pics on a day like this? :)

Last edited:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
so we got 16" of very light blower but up another 500-600' there was another 3-5". Deepest day at the boat. Seriously good. No pics. It was nuking all morning and who wants to stop for pics on a day like this? :)

Sometimes timing works in your favor. Visibility wasn't good in the open areas, but perfect in the trees. Not really knowing the mountain, I stuck to pretty tame stuff, but had a great time!

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
We just went under 4 weeks until most of Colorado closes. How did that happen? I still have to get 21 more days.

https://www.outtherecolorado.com/colorado-ski-area-closing-dates/

Vail, Breck, and Winter Park stay open an extra week to 4/23. Loveland +2 more to May 7th, then A-Basin to June 11, which is later than usual as they typically close daily ops first Sunday of June.
Thanks for the info. One last trip planned for early April to take advantage of my RMSP+ and get in some Luv and maybe A-Basin. Hopefully, my bruises frm last trip will be healed by then.

Reactions: nay

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Went to LL today. Got there pretty late around 10. It was ok. I got some good runs but it was mostly chowder. Snow was a bit heavier than last time. People were getting bucked around pretty good. That said it was still quite fun.

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 10.58.17 PM.JPG

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hmm, we got another 2" overnight. Ullr must be pleased with me for some reason. Should be a good Day after Thanksgiving; lots of tasty leftovers.... :)

Yesterday was odd, the line for First tracks was crazy long but I think the avg tourist quickly got frustrated. All of the snow fell after grooming so there literally wasnt anything groomed on the mountain and locals departed the mountain by 10-10:3, so there really weren't any crowds. I never waited on any lift for more than 5 minutes. The Bar-U-E lift which is the best lift for powder day laps was down so there's a Ton-O-Powder left over plus what got blown out of the trees overnight and the 2" should make for another really good day.

@nay I will take a few pics

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
It wasn’t forecast to snow today, but the jet is over northern CO with decent moisture, so it is. Could be a bit of a sleeper powder day. Or at least nice and soft.

Pretty big transition coming up (emphasis mine):

The upcoming week will feature a slow motion transition from an upper ridge over Colorado and the rest of the Rockies to a longwave trough over the same regions. And the transition is currently forecast to take about six days to occur. The GFS has the least amplitude at Day 7 and is therefore more progressive with placement of the trough axis at that time. However, the 00z runs of the Canadian and ECMWF show remarkable agreement through
about 168 hours and then begin to diverge with the shape and placement of a closed low over Utah and northern Arizona.

What does it mean? The first couple days of the forecast should be dry and quite warm as subsidence under the upper ridge axis suppresses any shower activity over the mountains. The warmest day looks to be Friday.

Over the weekend, things begin to cool off as the upper ridge slides eastward and a surface low develops over eastern Colorado which begins drawing cooler air in from the north. In the
mountains, moisture from the southwest will be arriving, increasing the coverage of rain showers and then snowfall as the weekend continues. These moisture levels will need to be monitored as Western Region`s Ensemble Situational Awareness Table shows that the moisture coming ashore over California in the next couple days is going to be 5 to 8 standard deviations above climatology. Even though the bulk of this moisture is going to be falling over California, Nevada and Utah, the amount that makes it to the Colorado mountains is probably going to be a little higher than a typical Spring storm. This will also be monitored over the next
couple days. Snow Levels from Friday into Saturday will also be starting out quite high, at or above 10,000 feet, due to the initial warmth of the airmass and the fact that the moisture is moving in on a southwesterly fetch. Snow levels will then fall
through the weekend. One period of precipitation is expected Friday night and then a second period should arrive Sunday into Monday.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
@nay So there is a good chance of heavy snow above 10,000 Feet? by Monday?

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surprise Blue Bird Powder Monday at Wolf Creek. This was taken on my phone on second to last run at about 3:15 P.M. when it had started snowing again. The main side of the mountain was obscenely crowded with spring break tourists. (cafeteria line went out the door and around the building) And the Waterfall area was skied out by the "expert" skiers, but the Alberta side was nearly deserted and truly delicious.

Wolf Creek 2018.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online