• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recall @Philpug realizing that he had ownership of a stolen pair of Nano TheSki. He reached out to the real owner and said he'd be happy to make it right by them even though he didn't have any part of the actual crime. The "owner" said, "Thanks for being honest, go ahead and keep them"
Either way, Phil did the right thing and the previous owner was grateful.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly what I intended. Not going to lie and pretend. If I were truly upset about it I'd try to somehow make restitution to the real victim even though I only thought I was getting a really good deal initially... but was actually a naive pawn in operation. The fact that the main victim has very deep pockets reduces the dissonance I'd be feeling over it. If it was a mom and pop shop I'd totally try to help them out however I could.. Buying a bunch of stuff from them at full retail because I felt sorry for them..

I am sure most businesses have some sort of insurance that covers theft.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Exactly what I intended. Not going to lie and pretend. If I were truly upset about it I'd try to somehow make restitution to the real victim even though I only thought I was getting a really good deal initially... but was actually a naive pawn in operation. The fact that the main victim has very deep pockets reduces the dissonance I'd be feeling over it. ..

In my book, two wrongs don't a right, but I guess I'm just old fashioned and a bit weird about that.

Reactions: Ron

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I recall @Philpug realizing that he had ownership of a stolen pair of Nano TheSki. He reached out to the real owner and said he'd be happy to make it right by them even though he didn't have any part of the actual crime. The "owner" said, "Thanks for being honest, go ahead and keep them"
Either way, Phil did the right thing and the previous owner was grateful.
Well, when the owner is the legendary company founder that's quite a bit different than the current situation. How many people in this forum who acknowledge getting a smoking deal from this thief reached out to Aspen offering to return what was left of the product?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I think Phil covered the financials of depreciation, etc.... anyhow, page 7. Time to go.

Last edited:

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I bought some Kastles from that ebay dealer. I made a shot ski out of one after I used them. I guess I will deliver it to Mike Kaplan’s office. Free my conscience and I am sure Aspen will be thrilled. In the meantime, I will submit a crime victim’s request for restitution to the Pitkin County court.

Seriously CR, I would be willing to bet that Aspen does not want their skis back. Furthermore, they do not want to alienate customers who purchased the skis in good faith. They will write it off as a loss and be happy they stopped this.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I bought some Kastles from that ebay dealer. I made a shot ski out of one after I used them. I guess I will deliver it to Mike Kaplan’s office. Free my conscience and I am sure Aspen will be thrilled. In the meantime, I will submit a crime victim’s request for restitution to the Pitkin County court.

:roflmao:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I suspect there is a bit of Robin Hood syndrome happening here. Pretty sure most folks who scored super cheap high quality gear from them are grateful they committed these crimes.. or grateful for the deals they got as a result. None of them are coming forward offering to cough up the difference as part of the restitution to Vail. I certainly wouldn't. There is equally valid sentiment that Vail's lack of oversight and accounting standards cost them these losses as much as the employees who took advantage of the opportunity are to blame,
Here is how I feel about it FWIW.

1) I would never have purchased the skis had I known they were stolen.

2) I feel sad about the whole thing. I feel sad for SkiCo, for the perpetrators, and for some of the related taint that is now in my quiver.

3) I don't have any grateful feeling. As I said, I feel sad for the above and also a bit sad about the skis. I get attached to my kit but instead of now happily thinking these skis are great and I got a good deal on them now I know they were stolen goods. I'm still going to use them, but it does take some of the shine off of them and now I probably won't have quite the same pride in them knowing they were stolen. The whole situation has caused pain for both Aspen and the perpetrators. I'd prefer not to have stolen kit in my quiver. No winners here.

4) no, I'm not going out of my way to return them to Aspen. If law enforcement reaches out I'll cooperate come what may, but I figure at this point it's water under the bridge and I doubt Aspen really wants them.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
WOW, I just saw this thread for the first time. Its been a bit of a blur since February :). interesting situation. Has there been any update on how this was perpetrated? I have to wonder how their inventory and receivables systems work.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
On this subject...this week I ran across a great deal on some skis/bindings/boots that fit a need perfectly. The problem: the deal was waaay too good. Yes, maybe it's a ski bum that just needed cash, but I suspect there is more to it. I walked away. I'd rather not wonder. To each his/her own.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen has an outlet in Basalt where I have purchased brand new skis for 60-70% off retail price. There are many legit good deals.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Seriously CR, I would be willing to bet that Aspen does not want their skis back. Furthermore, they do not want to alienate customers who purchased the skis in good faith. They will write it off as a loss and be happy they stopped this.

I read this whole thread after I’d sold my demo Kastles at a tent sale. Honestly, when I received mine, they had been used pretty hard and I thought that I hadn’t gotten such a good deal after all. And I never liked those skis. After receiving them, I had this weird feeling that something wasn’t legit, but there was no evidence from the EBay store to back up my intuition...It was just a creepy feeling.

Then, I was relieved to sell them....and then I read this thread.

I imagine that, whatever their sentence, this couple is getting a fair amount of public shaming.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
WOW, I just saw this thread for the first time. Its been a bit of a blur since February :). interesting situation. Has there been any update on how this was perpetrated? I have to wonder how their inventory and receivables systems work.

After receiving them, I had this weird feeling that something wasn’t legit, but there was no evidence from the EBay store to back up my intuition...It was just a creepy feeling.

Then, I was relieved to sell them....and then I read this thread.

Everyone posting in this thread needs to be aware of triangle fraud - and how Amazon and eBay work to launder money.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'll be skiing my "too good to be true" deal eBay store skis MLK weekend if we get decent snow or cool enough temps to make a lot of it. Perhaps the fact that we haven't had a good winter in 5 years is ULLR's wrath for me still being glad I got a good deal while also being fully willing to return them if the authorities had requested.

Crappy conditions must be my fault!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Everyone posting in this thread needs to be aware of triangle fraud - and how Amazon and eBay work to launder money.

WOW, this is a really good listen. The worst part of it is the exploitation of the elderly population.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid