$2.4mil theft of ski gear from Aspen

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by jmeb, Apr 16, 2019.

1. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

Big J likes this.
  2. doc

doc Putting on skis Skier

When I first saw your post, my initial thought was someone must have forgotten that they left that gear in a roofbox. A lot of roofboxes.
    Provenance, btw.

Rostapher, scott43, John O and 3 others like this.
  3. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

We need a "did you have coffee before posting" button.

Sibhusky and doc like this.
  4. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Home with 'Children of the Sun' in the PNW
    Canon City calls.

Sad story.

Big J likes this.
  5. Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski Out on the slopes Skier

:huh: I guess some people don't value their employment. I handled a lot of money throughout my years fundraising as a theater teacher. I was the head of fundraising for my entire performance arts department. I know it's a pittance comparable but about $30,000 a year in cash passed through my hands. I always had a second double count and double sign to protect myself from accusations. I valued my employment far more than quick cash.

I do admit that our See's Candy fundraiser was particularly tempting. I packed $15,000 of candy over a two day period, smelling it all day long. I wasn't tempted by cash, but chocolate? Definitely. I learned to buy myself a box so I had it to eat when tempted. :drool:

skiprob, RJS, Wendy and 3 others like this.

6. pete

pete not peace but 2 Beers! Skier

Sad given the job was at Aspen .. skiing may not be so easy in the future for either..

If I recall correctly, years back on the radio the DJ noted a small town councilperson who embezzled $6K worth of town money. They spoke with an accountant or CFO for an Illinois power company who almost snuck out of country with some $100M or more in funds .. (or some crazy *ss extreme number) and asked if crime payed now that he was doing time. He clearly stated one should never steal and he learned his lesson (I think he got 5 or 6 yrs) but did acknowledge that at least he could of lived a pretty good life overseas .. if not caught.

7. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    Now I know why Tremblant has serial numbers engraved in the tails of the high end skis and not stickers.

8. Bruuuce

Bruuuce My advice is worth what you paid for it. Skier

Heard this on the radio today. So how do they not notice for 8 years and wouldn’t have even now except for the tip? So much for trust but verify...

Sibhusky, Wendy and Magi like this.
  9. James

James Skiing the powder Instructor

Are we sure he didn't stash 4 pairs of Mind Benders in a box on a rep's truck? ogsmile

That's a lot of money billed for boxes. $6k in one month? That must include shipping? Let's say it's $10/box, which is high. That would be 600 boxes? Can't see it.

10. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Wait, what? They put tax documents showing their eBay sales receipts on ASC servers? :doh::rolleyes::doh:

That's a special level of brazen, if it is correct. Such things are easy to misreport, so :huh:

ScotsSkier likes this.
  11. x10003q

x10003q Getting off the lift Skier

Where is all the money? According to their attorney, they have very little. The sold lots of skis with zero cost and free boxes.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  12. graham418

graham418 Out on the slopes Skier

Sometimes, the bolder you are, the less people see, and you can get away with anything!

firebanex and Tricia like this.
  13. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

So who else bought skis from this theif?

14. James

"Spreadsheets found on Johnson’s computer at his home showed that between 2010 and 2018, he and his wife listed $2.15 million in total sales from the eBay account, according to the court documents."

Let's say he sold each pair for $700. Which is pretty damn high even for a Kastle demo. Esp from Aspen/Snowmass where they get used a lot.
    That's still over 3000 pairs of skis. That's an awful lot of skis.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Sibhusky likes this.
  15. AngryAnalyst

AngryAnalyst Putting on skis Skier

The only number in the article is the $140,000 and 580 pairs. This implies a per ski sale value of $241.40. If you attribute the entire $2,400,000 of theft to ski sales and assume the skis were sold for the same price on average, you get to ~10,000 pairs of skis (9,984) or about 1,000 per year.

If you run a ski rental op you'd know better than I do what you expect attrition rates to be. Anyone have any intuition for how many pairs of skis you think Aspen SkiCo buys/year?

I think the guy probably got "frog boiled" - starting with a pair here and there to make ends meet, then scaled up...

NZRob likes this.
  16. Seldomski

Seldomski Paralysis by analysis Skier

This reminds me of this story:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fajita-heist-texas-man-sentenced-50-years-stealing-1-2-n868451

Guy stole $1.2 million of fajita meat over 10 years. That's a lot of product to move. But if you are doing this weekly/daily for a long time, it adds up.

Not too surprised the ski thief is broke anyway, despite the added income. For one, he lives in Aspen... pretty easy to spend money there... second, their poor spending habits likely motivated them to keep up this revenue stream to make ends meet. If he was sitting on a pile of cash, why keep stealing?

17. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

This is in line with what most their auctions closed at if it is the eBay account I followed and know many who bought from.

18. James

That makes a lot more sense, high end demos < $300 would sell fairly quickly.
    Well the question then is what else were they selling on their ebay account which had listed sales of $2.15 million between 2010-18?

19. LKLA

LKLA Out on the slopes Skier

Any company with a half way decent brand/reputation does not want their product being resold, least of all by some "random" individual on a site like Ebay.

20. Thread Starter
    TS
    jmeb

Pretty sure most companies accept that selling off demos at the end of their useful life is par for the course. That's what was going on here. The eBay shop didn't look like a random individual, but rather as if it was a large shop selling off high end demos along the lines of Powder7.

DanoT and Big J like this.