• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
You can screw a plastic spoiler, even two, to the inside of the Raptor. At least the B3. I might add another. Plus I have a thick Lange hard foam spoiler on the liner.
Tired of the upright boot cartel.

B3's are supposed to have "adjustable" forward lean with that back yellow metal piece. What a joke. The effort required to get more lean was enormous and non standard.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know if I should have more aggressive forward lean but it seems that way - as long as there is good support. It makes sense. Maybe I can flex the 120 and make sure it's snug in the back.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm a bit confused as to why there is a lift in the front, because it sounds like you are saying you can't get your knee over your toe. The lift to me would just make the problem worse? And you've softened the boots to get to a 90 flex, but you're talking about buying 120's?? Why not just buy a softer boot? Or is that why you thought to look at women's boots?

Can you give us a broad idea of your weight and height? The idea that you can't drive a boot that is 120 or less makes me think you are down below 120 pounds? I mean, when my daughter was 120 pounds and 5'3" and racing she was in a 130 plug boot. Yes she was younger, but not getting how, even at your advanced (but younger than me) age you can't flex a 120 unless you're short and light and skiing pretty slow.

I have done well with a lift in the front. Lift in the back is trouble. The lift seems to address my hyper-mobility, but I don't know.

I don't necessarily see my problem as too stiff a boot. I just don't seem to have the leverage. I have the weight but I can't seem to apply it. I can't pressure the tongue quick enough to get the knee forward.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Any chance the boots are just too big for you and you're ending up in the back seat? I find that tough to believe with all these apparently well regarded boot fitters, though. And I would have thought they'd be pushing spoilers if your shank is too skinny for the boot.

Isn't there some common theme these guys all suggest? I don't know how to solve your issue online if these gurus haven't. We'd need pictures and/or video. It sounds like you've shelled out the bucks with that many boots purchased.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Any chance the boots are just too big for you and you're ending up in the back seat? I find that tough to believe with all these apparently well regarded boot fitters, though. And I would have thought they'd be pushing spoilers if your shank is too skinny for the boot.

Isn't there some common theme these guys all suggest? I don't know how to solve your issue online if these gurus haven't. We'd need pictures and/or video. It sounds like you've shelled out the bucks with that many boots purchased.

^^^Agreed.

There are a lot of things that don't add up in this thread:

The toe lift???
No rear spoiler or wedge to take up space in the rear cuff.
6 boots in 10 years and skiing in a 12 year old boot as the best performer
Boots feel different on different days
Turns down boot fitter suggested Fisher Vacuum, but no reason given.
The newest boots are "toys". I have never heard that term before with regards to ski boots so I have no idea what it means.

@no edge, I don't mean to be rude (but I am about to be, so I apologize in advance) but either your boot fitter is not top notch or you are his/her worst nightmare. :duck:

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
^^^Agreed.

There are a lot of things that don't add up in this thread:

The toe lift???
No rear spoiler or wedge to take up space in the rear cuff.
6 boots in 10 years and skiing in a 12 year old boot as the best performer
Boots feel different on different days
Turns down boot fitter suggested Fisher Vacuum, but no reason given.
The newest boots are "toys". I have never heard that term before with regards to ski boots so I have no idea what it means.

@no edge, I don't mean to be rude (but I am about to be, so I apologize in advance) but either your boot fitter is not top notch or you are his/her worst nightmare. :duck:

Oh boy,

First. The toe lift has been tried and then discredited and a heal lift put in. Heal lift destroys my skiing. I am not a fitter, but it seems to be agreed that the toe lift is the way to go. I like it, but what do I know. With the heal lift I find that I press the gas pedal and that screws me all up.

The Fisher... I don't just want to buy a boot. With my track record I can't afford to buy another boot and then walk away. It's still on the table but to be honest, Head Raptor sounds like a better choice. The Atomic Hawk for lack of a more technical term, is a toy. Then what do I know. Some people that I have spoken to liked the boot - not me and not many.

Rear spoiler: I do not have one but it seemed right in the shop when the fitter added that. There is a ton of room at the back of the boot below the calf. But I have never had luck with a spoiler in the past.

My boots do feel different on days depending on temperature and on what terrain I am skiing. To be clear with this setup, too tight on the buckles and I can't even get centered on the ski no less pressure the front, and too loose... well I haven't fallen out yet! But it's a flaw and a fine line, but what can I do until this problem can find a remedy.

As far as the quality of the fitters, the guys that I work with are exceptional - don't take my word. Just the base beveling work that I have had done and the results from it is top notch. There is no question I am a hard case. But that's why I am trying to consider all options... why I posted this thread.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@no edge do you have a video of you skiing?

The reason I asked is IMO lots of foot/leg stabilization is active rather than passive. Skier vs boot.
Perhaps it's the mechanic (technical) rather than equipment.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well this issue, whatever it is, and I really have no idea, is hardly going to be solved by random Internet dart throwing. I don't know what "top notch base beveling" for a boot means. Sole planing?
Sounds like the boot is so screwed up that any consideration of planing soles is ridiculous.
Can you go to Mt Snow and see Nick?

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Thank you Sibhusky, DanoT, KingGrump, and James for asking the tough questions that challenge no edge to explain the mystery statements that just plain do not make sense.

Too many cooks in the kitchen... Too many attempts to buy your way into a good fitting well balanced boot. Just the fact that you are asking about buying another boot without any clue about the root cause of your skiing conundrum is like being blindfolded and throwingdull darts against a granite wall. If you had Nick Blaylock or Bill Haight take you from assessment through refit and the challenge of fore aft balance to completion, Basta! I don not know anything about Garrick, but it doesn't matter, I think you are jumping around attempting to win the lottery without purchasing a ticket. There is a reason why the internet is free...

It took 23 posts before you copped to the fact that you have a hyper mobile ankle, Yes, like no shit sherlock. That is the reason that you show up different everyday. You are trying to play a video game with a loose joy stick. Assuming that the lift you are talking about is external on the boot sole, you couldn't do a worse turn for yourself in a ski boot. Somewhere either Nick or Bill has explained to you that you have a hypermobile ankle joint and you need to increase the net forward lean in your boot by lowering the internal ramp angle and increasing the shells forward lean. As well as getting you into a stiffer boot with a booster or power strap that gives you constant contact with front and the back of the cuff at the same time. The change in net forward lean takes out a few degrees of the excessive fore aft travel, and the stiffer boot allows you to get early edge angle to the ski with minimal fore/aft travel, which allows you to get the task of snapping off crisp high angled turns with a minimum of muscular effort.

What are the 3 worst things that you could do to a boot when you are walking around on the earth with a hypeymobile ankle? First would be softening the boot so that you have to work through a huge range of motion to get contact with the front of the boot, or another way is to imagine that when you have a large range of motion, you have to use the entire range to get the boot to deliver a turning message to your ski. Second ski the boot with a gap around your lower leg. A loose top buckle and a loose power strap means once again you are having to move huge distances without your lower leg talking to your boot, which in turn then plays telephone with the message that it sends to the ski ( you have played telephone, right?) And 3 adding an external lift to the shell further throws your balance starting point with hyper mobile ankle joint totally out of whack.

Bottom line, I totally agree that you buying another boot will be a complete waste of money. On the other hand, the stuff that you have done to your Salomon Course is impossible to reverse to get a ground zero starting point. Make an appointment with Nick Blaylock. Allow him to take you through the process from beginning to satisfaction. He may not be available after Mt Snow closes for the season. If you want to solve your set-up puzzle you have to commit to the process and stop jumping around.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wow, some great help here. Sorry for circling the point.

Mount Snow Bootworks suggested the women's boot as a consideration nothing more. I would try it. But the Raptor 120 is the best boot that I have tried on in a very long time. They offered me an opportunity to ski the boot after some simple work... no sole planing.

The toe lift is in inside the boot.

Thanks for listening to my thoughts! I will take the advice of the fitter, but not if it's a Fisher Vacuum. I will also get some footage of my skiing.

No Edge (Buzz)

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Ok Buzz, making some progress. The fact that Mount Snow Bootworks lifted the front half of the boot board is the bullseye I was looking for. This means that whoever did your assessment discovered that you are hyper mobile in the ankle joint. Now back to the earlier points about hyper mobile ankles. Increase the forward lean of the boot spoiler, get a stiffer boot, and a booster strap that allows you to really close the gaps front and rear to your leg.

On the specifics of the Raptor 120, there are a few kinks in the armour for you with that boot. The boot board is very tall, so either filling the space under your toes or lowering the heel will need to take place to get the ramp angle as flat as possible without compromising the overall volume of the boot. Which method you use to level out the footboard will depend on the height of your instep and the girth of your heel instep perimeter. Also the 120 is a soft 120. You might consider using a driver plate against the shin to get the pressure further up your shin for getting quicker response with less effort to the ski. Also use the velcro forward lean wedge on the liner, and the red hard plastic spoiler extensions that come with the Head race boot models. You might also consider getting the Raptor 140 and cutting the v-cuts down approx 20mm. It is not a real 140, just like the 120 is an imposter.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Raptor 140 can be set for 130, 140, or 150. Keep in mind those numbers are a reference for that boot. It would be so much easier if there was a standard for those flex numbers.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok! I got some great stuff to work with. Maybe some courage as well to do what must be done - buy new boots. The Raptor comments about the boot board are a nice heads up. I am nervous about the booster strap, but if I do these things then snug top buckles and Booster strap will be part of the package. I will let you know what unfolds. Thank you

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Booster strap is your friend when it comes to a snug boot top.
When the booster strap is wrapped around the liner inside the shell. The strap connects you to the rear spine of the boot. Eliminating the gap that normally forms between the calf and the rear of liner cuff. In terms of flex and control, the rear spine of the boot is a much more direct path than the front of the boot

James

Out There
Instructor
Most people I know in the Head B's or Raptors rip the rather complex Head power strap off. Even though it's supposed to be stretchy, it's not really. And for that they pay royalties to Booster judging by the tag inside.

Six boots in 10 yrs, plus this you posted. Sounds line no one had a chance to really get it right?
GMOL, Bill Haight... 1 hour from my house. He is exceptional
Garrick Dardani... 1/2 hr, The head coach at Jiminy Peak... exceptional.
Nick Blaylock... one hour from the house. He is at Mount Snow. He created the turning point in my skiing 15 years or so ago. Travelled with the US ski team (something like that). Exceptional
Of those, I 'd go to Snow and see Nick. Make an appointment. Even a preliminary workup as likely they're closing soon. Stick with the one guy and work through it. That's partly why Mt Snow. You can ski it and come in after. If you keep switching you'll spend more money and waste time.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd bring all six sets of boots in myself. One of them must be okay.

Haha, go down in the basement and poke around in the boot dump!

I tried on six pairs of boots Sunday at the Basin. One was the Doberman World Cup (Nordica). Old boot, brand new... I sued to ski the Pro. These had a low cuff in comparison and a narrow last - 94, said the fitter. Also the Full tilt. Interesting but I don't know. Two Lange(s) but one was a 26.5. Felt fine except the toe was slightly crunched. He was not comfortable squeezing me in but I liked the boot's response. Another Nordica, good boot but not for me. The Head 120 RS. FKNA don't know what to think.

Before all the boots I skied Killington and I seriously sucked. After 4 runs I bagged it. One thing, I did not take a warm-up which usually spells trouble for my skiing. The conditions were clumpy, medium slop and my legs just weren't there. So I went to the Basin and blamed it all on the boots.

MRT

Putting on skis
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
Ski Boots have forward lean for one reason, to move your center of mass forward over your foot and get your weight just behind
the ball of your feet when you are extended.

If your center of mass is positioned too far rearward when extended,(tightened upper buckle) you will be tempted to open the top of the shell to allow
you to move forward over your foot, = burning quads!

Solution= A spoiler of the correct thickness that moves your center of mass forward over your feet to just the right spot "The sweet spot"
Your boots will not seem to stiff if you are positioned correctly. I have your problem also and with the correct positioning I am skiing 130 flex boots.

Mike
Cped/Bootfitter
Friend of Nick's, but way south of VT.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
MTR, It seems to me that I could ski a stiffer boot too. I will try a spoiler. Having tried on several mfg of boots, my problem still exists.

I will post when I can get the spoiler added to my boot.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
MTR, It seems to me that I could ski a stiffer boot too. I will try a spoiler. Having tried on several mfg of boots, my problem still exists.

I will post when I can get the spoiler added to my boot.

Your problem is not the boots of several mfg's of boots. The problem is hyper mobility of your ankle joint. Your ankle joint!!

No Edge, You do not seem to grasp that a seasoned and trusted boot fitter has assessed your feet and ankles and you seem to be attempting to do everything in your power to avoid taking that advice. I guess in this day and age where consumers always want to purchase their way out of a bad boot match versus putting any effort into solving the root cause, makes perfect sense.

What this means is that for you who has a hyper mobile ankle, to get this resolved you need to re-read posts 29 and 31. There is no boot out of the box that will solve the issues that you are having. Second point is quit dreaming that doing just one thing, like putting in a forward lean wedge will miraculously change your life. Go back to Nick and have him take any of the six boots you have, pick the one that best holds your heel down out of the box, then have him perform the necessary forward lean "tricks" including increasing your forward lean with a shim to get your ankle range of motion matched to the set-up of the boot. In the interim there is no point in going skiing on any boot that has not had the Forward Lean conundrum addressed before the boot ever sees snow.

Sponsor

Staff online