• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Waiting for the video. :popcorn:

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Your problem is not the boots of several mfg's of boots. The problem is hyper mobility of your ankle joint. Your ankle joint!!

No Edge, You do not seem to grasp that a seasoned and trusted boot fitter has assessed your feet and ankles and you seem to be attempting to do everything in your power to avoid taking that advice. I guess in this day and age where consumers always want to purchase their way out of a bad boot match versus putting any effort into solving the root cause, makes perfect sense.

What this means is that for you who has a hyper mobile ankle, to get this resolved you need to re-read posts 29 and 31. There is no boot out of the box that will solve the issues that you are having. Second point is quit dreaming that doing just one thing, like putting in a forward lean wedge will miraculously change your life. Go back to Nick and have him take any of the six boots you have, pick the one that best holds your heel down out of the box, then have him perform the necessary forward lean "tricks" including increasing your forward lean with a shim to get your ankle range of motion matched to the set-up of the boot. In the interim there is no point in going skiing on any boot that has not had the Forward Lean conundrum addressed before the boot ever sees snow.

Thanks Otto. The Soloman Course that I presently ski is cut down nicely. I want a new boot but it must be an improvement over what I currently have. All of the boots that I liked had great heal hold. No heal lift for me under the ankle. That doesn't work for me. Nick helped me with the lift in front years ago.

I also liked the Nordica Pro. The cuff was shorter. It's an old boot but could be good.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Heel. Heel, Fido, heel.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
And now the new boot. $825 with extra work outside aspects included.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
My new boots are Head Rebel, 120, 27.5 All of my previous boots have been 27.5

I did not go to Bill. I could not get things moving at Nick's shop.

The Fisher Vacuum was eliminated by my fitter. I did not give any input on this. We went for the Head and he first evaluated my foot mobility - Lucy-Goosy. He is knowledgeable in this area. Then he shell fitted the boot and I was worried about the boot being a bit long... too much room behind the heal. I only had a glance at the measurement and I felt a little uneasy.

He said that I would probably need new footbeds, and I told him it was a great footbed. Then he checked them and he realized that he had built them. He did add material behind the ball of the foot on the upper side. We used the old ones.

This boot has a little bit lower shell, I think. The strap at the top is a bit flexible. I would say that this boot is a soft 120. I liked the flex and the support in the shop. It was soft but engaged.

Instead of placing a tow lift on the interior, I believe there was not enough space for it be added. So he lowered the heal. This in consideration of my hyper-mobility. When I put the boot on after he completed the work, I found the fit in the heal area to be affected. I had some reluctance. There was some compromise in the way the heal fit - snugness.

He adjusted the cant and put Vibram soles - heal and toe. He added the simple spoiler that comes with the boot. Then he added and extra one. Then he removed the second spoiler. I have the second one in my boot bag.

(see next)

Last edited:
TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied on them and they skied well until I settled in. The boot is too big! I am talking about areas where the foot contacts the boot. I am extremely distressed. Have I just purchased another throw-away? I will go back.

I am sure other fitters have experienced this dilemma in their shops. Might a new after market liner help. Can their be adjustment made by padding on the liner.

The idea of a new liner sounds great, but that probably won't change the thickness of the liner.

Any thoughts?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My new boots are Head Rebel, 120, 27.5 All of my previous boots have been 27.5
The boot is too big!

Hmmm. None of your six previous boots worked out. So you went with the same size.

Why were you unable to make progress with the recommended fitters? What was the ratio of talking to listening in your conversations with them?

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m not going to suggest a boot simple because I don’t know the market and what’s out there.

I am going to suggest an outing with a instructor that has boot fitting experience. My feeling is its not only fit, but technique based on body dynamics which may be misleading you in to your views and experiences.

I believe there are on some on this site that may be able to help you. @Phil anyone to suggest?

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hmmm. None of your six previous boots worked out. So you went with the same size.

Why were you unable to make progress with the recommended fitters? What was the ratio of talking to listening in your conversations with them?

All of the fitters, five, arrived at a 27.5. I wanted to push it, but I never actually put on a 26.5 - this time. Each one said that they were not comfortable making the smaller boot fit. I can see how a 27.5 is correct. It's just that the boot overall is to voluminous.

What do you think about a new liner... after market like Intuition?

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am going to suggest an outing with a instructor that has boot fitting experience. My feeling is its not only fit, but technique based on body dynamics which may be misleading you in to your views and experiences.

I believe there are on some on this site that may be able to help you. @Phil anyone to suggest?

The boot fitter is an exceptional ski coach. He is the head of the racing program at the mountain that I ski at, but it is not at the level of say... Burke or GMVS. Our program is not a school. He has seen me ski and we spoke a lot about method and technique during the fitting.

The bottom line... my boot is sloppy. The feedback that I received earlier was very helpful. But I am not sure about what I should do to remedy the current situation.

Such as: - Stuff filler around the liner
- Get a new liner maybe even foam
- Go back to the old boot
- Buy a new boot (don't have the funds for that)
- Other ideas.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The boot fitter is an exceptional ski coach. He is the head of the racing program at the mountain that I ski at, but it is not at the level of say... Burke or GMVS. Our program is not a school. He has seen me ski and we spoke a lot about method and technique during the fitting.

The bottom line... my boot is sloppy. The feedback that I received earlier was very helpful. But I am not sure about what I should do to remedy the current situation.

Such as: - Stuff filler around the liner
- Get a new liner maybe even foam
- Go back to the old boot
- Buy a new boot (don't have the funds for that)
- Other ideas.
Based you reply, I would suggest you speak with your fitter. If it was fitted to loose have them address it, if they don’t want too than I would say they sold you bill of goods. In that case you are on your own in find a solution.

In that case I would recommend some thin dense foam and temporarily attach it to the outside of the liner in select spots to tight things up. others on this sight my best advise you here. Might be uncomfortable but will give an idea if you are going in the right direction. After that, new boot knowing what to ask for, better fitter (maybe), foam injected liner as an alternative.

Just be forwarned there is a very fine line between too tight and too loose both of which can cause issues.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where, specifically, do you feel the boot to be too voluminous? The Raptor (at least the plug versions) has quite a generous toe box which can give the sense of looseness around the forefoot. As long as the ankle and heel are snug that’s workable. If the boot is too large around the ankle/heel you should ask the shop to remedy the situation.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This thread is like a scab I can't stop picking.

When you enter into an engagement with a boot fitter, the deal should be that they guarantee their work as long as you are listening to them carefully and providing feedback in good faith. If that's the engagement you had, go back to the fitter and ask for a smaller boot, having given this one a fair shot (if you have).

If you did not listen and act on good faith, then it's on you. Similarly, if after all your earlier bad experiences and all the ignored advice you got here about specific reputable fitters, you entered into a non-guaranteed fitting arrangement, that's all on you, too. History repeats itself, etc....

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am planning to go back tomorrow if he is in.
Good luck! I am also what I refer to as a "Cinderella" with boots, having gone through 5 pairs in 6 seasons (more if you count the pair I had when I moved to Utah!) I have super low-volume feet and hypermobile feet and ankles. It's hard to feel secure with such issues, but I will go back to what @KingGrump said earlier about a technique issue (this is definitely part of the equation for me) and what @HardDaysNight says above-get the heel and ankle locked down and a slightly larger toe box can be worked with.

MY personal preference is for boots with taller cuffs. Of the 5 pair, I've had two with taller cuffs-a Salomon XMax 90 and now a Nordica Promachine 105. The cuff on the Promachine (with the catches moved to the narrow side) are incredibly snug. I think that my narrow, loosy goosey feet like the extra control I feel from a taller cuff. These two were and are my favorite boots by far. The Xmax became too soft and also just had too much volume.

So, I feel for you and wish you luck. Sometimes, it's the equipment, sometimes, it's the skier, but sometimes it really is both. Also, some of us are super sensitive to what is going on around us, under our feet, on our feet and it adds another layer of frustration to the situation. I get the impression you could fall into this category.

Video of you skiing would be great! Also, don't be afraid to ask for instructor recommendations here and get a lesson.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's a great note to me! Much the same as you. I like a lower cuff however. I am really stressed out about the boots, but if I go see him I know he will step up. This can't be the end of the road.

I am planning to post a video but my ski buddy and I have to get it together. He takes one of me and then I take one of him but my video can't be watched due to the shakes. The one I have is from Snowbird. I was on 88s and the snow was dense. Fun though.

It would be good to get some feedback from the instructors.

I may have a video in the "library"

Last edited:
TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Snow too deep to see skiing but that is probably a good thing. See if it works?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online