• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My current company vehicle has Nordman 7 studded tires. They do fine on ice and hardpack and they do fine on snow up to the bumpers. Chains are needed for going uphill when the snow is six inches or more higher than the bumpers; any good snow tire will get most vehicles (not a Ford Mustang GT) though 8 inches of snow or glare ice just fine.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You do have to worry about short cars starting to plane up and float in 8" of snow though.. snow tires don't do a thing when the car is floating ontop of the snow ;)

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
...like when the fresh snow is still shallow enough for undercarriage clearance but is getting deep enough on this residential road that I can't tell where the pavement edge ends with maybe some curb, gutter, or hole beyond?

...and one slip...ooooops

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
"most wide tires period aren't good in snow and ice."
The thought used to be that narrow winter tires would dig down to a firmer surface for more grip. Now the thinking is to use the stock tire size. Here's what Continental says:
"When it comes to the winter season, there are definite advantages to fitting your wheels with wide tires over standard narrow tires.
A wider tire equates to better performance on dry or wet roads and compacted snow. They provide excellent performance in all winter conditions because:

• More sipes interlock with the ground, even on snow;
  • Shorter braking distance due to larger tread blocks;
  • Consistent and balanced drivability and better steering precision;
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-basics/wide-tires

The FWD and AWD owner's manuals I've seen always say to put chains on the front tires of FWD-oriented vehicles. That might be because of the FWD nature of AWD drivetrains in those vehicles. My current CX-9 AWD is included in that list. I agree, chains on the back keep the back in back when braking, especially on a downgrade. If I was driving, say, down from Powder Mountain when the road was really slick, yep, chains on the back in that instance. That road might be steep, but it's narrow.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"most wide tires period aren't good in snow and ice."
The thought used to be that narrow winter tires would dig down to a firmer surface for more grip. Now the thinking is to use the stock tire size. Here's what Continental says:
"When it comes to the winter season, there are definite advantages to fitting your wheels with wide tires over standard narrow tires.
A wider tire equates to better performance on dry or wet roads and compacted snow. They provide excellent performance in all winter conditions because:

• More sipes interlock with the ground, even on snow;
  • Shorter braking distance due to larger tread blocks;
  • Consistent and balanced drivability and better steering precision;
https://www.continental-tires.com/car/tire-knowledge/tire-basics/wide-tires

The FWD and AWD owner's manuals I've seen always say to put chains on the front tires of FWD-oriented vehicles. That might be because of the FWD nature of AWD drivetrains in those vehicles. My current CX-9 AWD is included in that list. I agree, chains on the back keep the back in back when braking, especially on a downgrade. If I was driving, say, down from Powder Mountain when the road was really slick, yep, chains on the back in that instance. That road might be steep, but it's narrow.
Live and learn. Interesting about the wider tires.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid