• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
696813CE-93A6-4189-BD55-5EC65C649086.png

It’s January People!!!!!!!!!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 94 and 104 already made an appearance in my shop. I’m digging the top sheets.
The topsheets are definitely evolutionary and one of the better ones from the series, I was kinda ready for a new direction though. Nordica played it safe and stayed with what is working, hard to argue with that philosophy.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
New K2 Recon Pro, a 140 version of the very good, light weight Recon collection.
6BE831CE-F283-4AFA-80DC-1BAECC041B1B_1_201_a.jpeg

Review will be coming soon as soon as I get more days in them.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Am I alone in thinking that this early 21 release stuff is no longer in anyway special but a quite cynical ploy to prop up retail stores by giving them stock later in the season that they have a defensible reason not to discount? Not sure what the financing deals are on that inventory - I assume stores still hope to flip it pre end of season to early adopters so don't overinvest but it maintains its value over the summer if they are left holding.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Am I alone in thinking that this early 21 release stuff is no longer in anyway special but a quite cynical ploy to prop up retail stores by giving them stock later in the season that they have a defensible reason not to discount? Not sure what the financing deals are on that inventory - I assume stores still hope to flip it pre end of season to early adopters so don't overinvest but it maintains its value over the summer if they are left holding.
Early releases are not new, the first I recall was when K2 released the Extreme back in the mid 90's. I don't disagree with you but since this is becoming the norm and more so with some brands than others...but those others are jumping on the bandwagon, buyers have to start adjusting their buys accordingly.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Philpug @Erik Timmerman : Any word a Tyrolia fixed mount, front side GripWalk clamp I snagged a pair of the Evo14 GripWalk Demos - but am ready for the real deal.

Thanks in advance!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug @Erik Timmerman : Any word a Tyrolia fixed mount, front side GripWalk clamp I snagged a pair of the Evo14 GripWalk Demos - but am ready for the real deal.

Thanks in advance!
Current:
Tyrolia Freeflex Demo 14 GW
  • Adjustment range: 259-382 mm
  • Toolless length adjustment: Yes w/manual toe height
  • Sole compatibility: DIN, GripWalk
  • Pluses: Low stand height
  • Minuses: There are brake options but binding works best on a hard snow specific ski.
  • Color options: Black
  • Others to consider: Atomic/Salomon X12 TL GW, Look SPX Konect 12, Marker FDT TPX 12
I will see if there is anything new coming.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

I agree it takes away the Summer/Fall excitement of new skis and it’s a logistical nightmare for retails deciding what to stock.

Retailers now have to stock the 2021 gear earlier than the Summer/Fall and then heavily discount existing 2020 stock of that model earlier than the usually late Spring sales.
For new products that don’t already exist, you’ve got to order it early(and pay for it early) and then only sell at slight discount in the Spring sales and maybe slight discount again to start the next season before you blow it out that 2nd Spring. That’s ONLY IF there isn’t a new replacement that comes along which would speed up the “get rid of it” mid season sell off. So you’re holding lots of inventory that’s not selling over the Summer but you paid for it in February.

Working in retail for 20 years, there is no “discount” anytime during the year from the manufacturer for gear. The price the store pays now for a 2021 product will be the same as next Fall so that’s why their is no large incentive to blow it out this Spring. The only discounts retailers get are percentage discounts on purchases once they hit certain purchase plateaus from that manufacturer. So a small mom and pop place won’t get reach the buying plateaus/discounts as a chain/large retailer. The smaller store may choose to not stock the new gear till next season as they can’t afford to hold that much inventory over the Summer that they paid for in February.

So it’s more manufacturer than store driven to release products early as stores(and their accountants) would much rather have late Summer releases on gear.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I agree it takes away the Summer/Fall excitement of new skis and it’s a logistical nightmare for retails deciding what to stock.

Thanks Greg. I realised after I posted that it wouldn't be a strategy to help out retail stores - more a diversification of risk by the manufacturers giving them 2 points in the cycle to sell and smoothing production. So if a retail store really does its job well, buys the right amount and sells well (let's say in a good snow season) it should really be aiming to sell out in Jan with the next year's models filling demand for the rest of the season. Except for the customer that doesn't give them the full range with still 3 months skiing to go and the "early release order" still has to go in before you know how the season is shaping up so the retailer still punts blind. Maybe it's part of educating consumers that skis are a "when its gone its gone" commodity and achieving higher sell thru prices but a mess to get there....

I assume ultimately it means manufacturers are put under pressure to fully disclose what models they are going to replace and last seasons of a model are short stocked.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Fischer Ranger 102FR has new blue/pink graphics , but does anyone know if the ski is changed for 2021? I've been offerd a deal on both 184 and 191 lengths on 2020 models, do they ski long/short/right? I'm 189-190cm or 6 feet 213⁄32 inches (go google)

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer 102FR has new blue/pink graphics , but does anyone know if the ski is changed for 2021? I've been offerd a deal on both 184 and 191 lengths on 2020 models, do they ski long/short/right? I'm 189-190cm or 6 feet 213⁄32 inches (go google)

It is just the graphics next season the ski has not changed at all. As for the length it depends on how you ski and how aggressive you are. I have friends over 6ft that say the 184 is not enough for them.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is just the graphics next season the ski has not changed at all. As for the length it depends on how you ski and how aggressive you are. I have friends over 6ft that say the 184 is not enough for them.

I'm fairly agressive and love to charge, skied for almost 30 years, but I do have skies for that (mantra 102, deacon 84, and ish enforcer 110), so looking for something "fun" I guess, I run mantra 102's in 191cm. (love thoose) but they are honestly only fun when you charge. Wondering how they would compare to my enforcer 110s, or bent chetler 100. The deacons doesnt like woods much, and lets just say trying to turn the mantra 102, 191cm in tight trees in heavy not so light powder was... interesting.

Also wondering about their 94 FR. series.

I also looked at armada declivety... so yeah Im all over the place. just like to buy stuff and test, sometimes your just wowed by skis that are so fun and then I keep em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor