• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I could have both of those things and still not RR track....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I *think* I can credit @Josh Matta for this one, although I can't find the quote, so it may be someone else - today I was in a lesson and skiing Lulu's in Horseshoe Bowl - plenty steep for me. The howling wind created smooth chalk - "Groomed by God" as one of my friends would say. What I remember Josh (or someone?) posting was that someone was extending upward when they needed to be extending forward down the hill. I've heard similar before, but somehow this image resonated. This realization that "up" isn't quite it. So with this very confidence inspiring, edge holding snow, I did that. I put my body out there in a way that was both terrifying and exhilarating. And after the run, my instructor said that I had done a great job demonstrating a critical skill - your body being perpendicular to the slope. I guarantee you no one has ever said that about my skiing before. And it felt amazing.

Possibly not directly related to the Infinity Move, but we seem to have wandered in and out of that topic, and I just wanted to share.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I *think* I can credit @Josh Matta for this one, although I can't find the quote, so it may be someone else - today I was in a lesson and skiing Lulu's in Horseshoe Bowl - plenty steep for me. The howling wind created smooth chalk - "Groomed by God" as one of my friends would say. What I remember Josh (or someone?) posting was that someone was extending upward when they needed to be extending forward down the hill. I've heard similar before, but somehow this image resonated. This realization that "up" isn't quite it. So with this very confidence inspiring, edge holding snow, I did that. I put my body out there in a way that was both terrifying and exhilarating. And after the run, my instructor said that I had done a great job demonstrating a critical skill - your body being perpendicular to the slope. I guarantee you no one has ever said that about my skiing before. And it felt amazing.

Possibly not directly related to the Infinity Move, but we seem to have wandered in and out of that topic, and I just wanted to share.

I've been advocating getting perpendicular for years, ever since I was in a clinic with a PSIA Alpine Team (it was Demo Team then) member and spent the day watching and admiring his turn entries.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Monique your quote may have been said by Josh, and as you noted, it may have been someone else, but that is something I've heard from (at least) 10 different coaches over the years, and you're right, it resonates.
I think the first time I heard it was from Robin Barnes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique your quote may have been said by Josh, and as you noted, it may have been someone else, but that is something I've heard from (at least) 10 different coaches over the years, and you're right, it resonates.
I think the first time I heard it was from Robin Barnes.

Oh, yeah, I've had instructors (and everyone, really) telling me to get forward for years. But something about the specific phrasing of going forward *instead of* up made it click for me in a way that just "get perpendicular to the slope" has not done. I may have heard that one for years, too, but I find it takes roughly 100 to 1 million times hearing ski advice before it actually clicks or I can make use of it.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern

Monique, This is an important epiphany for many! Another way I try to help skiers discover this sensation is to reverse the timing of "extension" and "edge change". Most skiers begin their extension before they begin the edge change. I challenge them to flip flop the timing of these two movements. Begin the movement across the skis to change edges before beginning the extension! Doing this changes the game.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Monique, This is an important epiphany for many! Another way I try to help skiers discover this sensation is to reverse the timing of "extension" and "edge change". Most skiers begin their extension before they begin the edge change. I challenge them to flip flop the timing of these two movements. Begin the movement across the skis to change edges before beginning the extension! Doing this changes the game.

Now that I've grasped the movement pattern, what you're saying makes sense to me (after I thought about it a bit). Before, those instructions would have been baffling. Skiing is hard! Teaching skiing (at least to someone like me) is harder!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Jenn Losch (one of Breckenridge's star instructors) is a wise woman.

Perfection is the enemy of good! Perfection is about technique. Good is about being an athlete, trusting your body and skills, freeing your mind, and performing at your highest level. Perfection is linear and rote, one step at a time. Good is global, 4-dimensional, flowing, rhythmic. Perfection is about thinking. Good is about awareness.

Quoting Weems (again)--his ability chart goes Beginner >> Intermediate >> Expert >> GOOD. 'Nuff said!

Best regards,
Bob

Bob: your infinite move came up in a thread about Bode Miller´s style. I was actually directed to some discussions in Epic, but it was all around these concepts. Sure enough, when a racer (or any offensive skier) is skiing with dynamism and linking turns, the neutral stage of the turn will appear to have the legs moving forward, so depending on the observer´s perspective, the skier might look momentarily as if riding the back seat. But it is just the legs speeding up to complete a longer trajectory.

And back to Bode, in your terms, he´s really, really good. And that was really the conclusion on the thread I mentioned: he will maximize his speed, which means that technique is just a means to turn faster, and perfection was left behind.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
It's definitely not a groomer-only thing either.. . once you get it, the whole mountain opens up to you.

Yes. Not like _I_ got it, but I totally get the concept. I feel like a deeply understated advantage of carving a carve is stability in crud. The skis will cut through it. I only accomplished this a handful of times, towards the end of last (my second) season, and it was lovely. I will be working hard to improve, despite having limited access to the precious snow :)

I also believe that BBś crudology shows a lot of dolphin turns in crud, which I am thinking helps the skier avoid the crappy snow in the transition, when the skis are meant to be flat. The rest of the turn, if railed, will cut through.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Perfection and the secret to Nirvana here :hail:............. I plan to work on this.............

TS
Bob Barnes

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
I'm glad to see the discussion continue on this topic, that I still believe is the most essential fundamental in all of skiing, as well as the most universally misunderstood.

Monique described the breakthrough thought above that <<someone was extending upward when they needed to be extending forward down the hill>>. Yes--it's important! But it's also worth pointing out how even that simple thought can--and all too often does--create dead wrong movements. Don't forget that "forward" and "down the hill" are rarely the same direction in the turn transition, and they are 90 degrees apart when your skis are traveling directly across the hill. If you think of moving your body (CM) "forward along the length of the skis" (as many do and many instructors and coaches still advise) in the transition, you are probably going to completely violate the principle of the Infinity Move and move in the exact wrong direction relative to your feet. Even moreso if you "pull your feet back" at the same time, and even more in the wrong direction if you simultaneously move your body uphill to balance on the uphill/new outside ski in the transition.

Note that the differences between "forward" and "down the hill" become increasingly significant the more complete the turn (the more you are traveling across or even up, rather than down, the hill). For people who don't complete their turns (most recreational skiers!), forward and down the hill are essentially the same. The Infinity Move doesn't become relevant until you are linking offensive, gliding, "direction control" turns, and getting your speed control primarily from tactics and line, rather than from braking and skidding. The better you get, the more important it becomes to not misunderstand it!

It still amazes me how many instructors and coaches have looked at the Infinity Move animation and said something like "that's obvious--I've always known that"--and then proceeded to teach something that completely contradicts it!

Best regards,
Bob

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Bob, as an Examiner, do you feel that the Infinity Move (there, I called it that! but I still prefer Foot-Squirt™) is in sync with the Demo Team's Five Fundamentals? OK, two part question, is it in sync with the words that they use, and is it in sync with what they actually teach and practice?

Sponsor

Staff online