• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am intrigued by this "foot squirt" thingy. I have been feeling that pretty regularly and it scares the bejeezus out of me because I feel like I am going to fall backward. So, I counter by getting more forward and really working to keep my shins in contact with the boot tongue. Is that wrong??

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I am intrigued by this "foot squirt" thingy. I have been feeling that pretty regularly and it scares the bejeezus out of me because I feel like I am going to fall backward. So, I counter by getting more forward and really working to keep my shins in contact with the boot tongue. Is that wrong??

This sounds to me like the timing of the foot squirt is a bit off - when the foot squirt happens the strongest sensation I have is that 'off the diving board' sensation of moving down the hill. As in - I can't possibly fall backwards because I'm busy being weightless going forwards.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This sounds to me like the timing of the foot squirt is a bit off - when the foot squirt happens the strongest sensation I have is that 'off the diving board' sensation of moving down the hill. As in - I can't possibly fall backwards because I'm busy being weightless going forwards.
Yeah, it throws my balance off, not horribly but enough that it's unsettling. Particularly on my right leg because that's the boot with never-ending issues.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
More dynamic yes, maybe slightly more edge to edge but there is still a rotary push off in this skiing. The reality is you are skiing great but it can be that much more efficient and maybe more fun, and more versatile to actually go edge to edge with out that push off up the hill and to the side. the idea of the infinity move is not about moving away from your skis, but its accepting the reality that to make a clean, round, edge to edge as carved as possible turn that the skis have to take a longer path than our body. If you do not let them take a longer path there will be a stem or push off of some sort every single time if you try to stay 'forward" the whole time.

IMO its way more important off piste. and can be felt even at easier dynamic levels.

I don't disagree... It happens in high level dynamic skiing on all surfaces. Just thinking of where I'd teach it to minimize the 'sensation' variables.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
To me, the foot squirt should not mean total loss of shin/cuff contact, just a slight reduction and change toward 10 or 2 o'clock

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Exactly!

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
interesting, I don't have much video, just when testing skis w/ Scott, but I watched this and now see that rotary push off. Seems once I ski past the camera in the crud vid, much cleaner?

I had to work really hard to get rid of that when skiing under the watchful eyes of examiners so many years ago, but it's back.

seems many years of skiing 90% off piste steeps, while skiing slowly and "seeking a platform" has brought back my crutch. thanks for pointing it out.

I started this question as the trampoline idea wasn't working, but now I'll start refocusing on getting rid of that crutch. Thx Josh.
Any favorite drills, seems I did a lot of "ultra early" weight transfer drills before, as if that old outside ski is off the snow, there is nothing to move off. focusing on simultaneous vs sequential release?

Mod, it may make sense to move these few posts of mine and replies, as its going in a direction that doesn't add value to the "infinity move" thread?

Cheers!
Wade

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
IMO it does add value, as it puts it into the perspective of an individual skier, in the context of all the things begging for that skier's attention.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think when you ski past the camera it just hides what you are doing. BTW I think most would agree to this day I think it would pass L3, not that it matters since you allready have your gold pin, but their many examiners and above who do exactly what you are doing, they are not looking for like I am.

As for help eliminating it, I think ultra early weight transfer like an up and over can be a great drill to stop rotary push off. I also think semi one footed skiing can really kick it as well. IE balance as much as possible on either side though each turn. IE Right turn/right foot and Left turn/right foot if that make sense.

diagonal side slipping down the hill at the end of your turn and then turning with out edge setting can help as well.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
I think when you ski past the camera it just hides what you are doing. BTW I think most would agree to this day I think it would pass L3, not that it matters since you allready have your gold pin, but their many examiners and above who do exactly what you are doing, they are not looking for like I am.

As for help eliminating it, I think ultra early weight transfer like an up and over can be a great drill to stop rotary push off. I also think semi one footed skiing can really kick it as well. IE balance as much as possible on either side though each turn. IE Right turn/right foot and Left turn/right foot if that make sense.

diagonal side slipping down the hill at the end of your turn and then turning with out edge setting can help as well.

Great!
Thx.
I did those drills today. lots of pivot slips without an edgeset as well.
Left ski inside to outside is weakest, doesn't like to hang out on IE (little toe) too long. Looking back at some other vid, looks like even when I'm releasing my left foot well, I hold on to the right longer and release later. 1 footed skiing is good on right as well, weak on left. weak side for sure, but also may recheck alignment on that side, feels inside a bit.

thx for your comments.
Cheers,

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I'd work on releasing the old downhill edge by relaxing the downhill leg/rolling that foot off edge

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I think that relaxing is too inactive.

The inside leg has to flex faster than you are edging it or you will end up with to much balance on your side skis right after the edge change, and sometimes a stem /rotary push off. I would rather see a inside ski come off the snow than have the inside ski have to much of our balance on it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Wade for what it's worth, I think that losing the traverse will help to reduce the need for the push-off. If your CM can just flow across instead of stopping and then having to restart you won't need a move to restart it. If you want to ski more slowly without the traverse just bring each turn up the hill a bit more or ski a little bit greasier.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Amy, to my knowledge I haven't seen video of you skiing or anything, but just going off of the words in your posts, I kind of doubt that you are doing anything foot-squirty. I'd be really careful about that where you are right now and be looking to keep contact in the front of the boot always.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Amy, to my knowledge I haven't seen video of you skiing or anything, but just going off of the words in your posts, I kind of doubt that you are doing anything foot-squirty. I'd be really careful about that where you are right now and be looking to keep contact in the front of the boot always.
I am, it's just REALLY hard with the right boot. Which is why I'm on a never-ending quest with my boot fitter to get that boot set up correctly for me. I'm also taking a lesson today with a really good instructor who I'm hoping can work with me to make sure it's not ALL technique. I skied with him in December and he was thrilled with my stance (meaning, I am forward and maintain really good contact with my boot tongues.) That's why it's so frustrating. Considering this is a fairly new issue that surfaced since I busted my tibial plateau last winter, I think it's way more than technique.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@AmyPJ Given that you had an injury, perhaps you are physically incapable of driving the skis the same. Adjusting your binding position on the skis (try forward 1cm) might restore your balanced feel with your restricted mobility. Don't blame technique for something an equipment adjustment can fix.

Do a bunch of yoga or physical therapy to reclaim your range of motion. It won't help tomorrow but will in the long run.

In waterskiing, I never coach pressure on the boot cuff. I emphasize foot pressure - the entire foot should be pressuring the ski with a focus on the ball of the foot. It is much easier to control fundamental balance with the very sensitive nerves in your feet. Get the pressure on the ski with your feet - add an extra kick with your shins when called for. But always stay in balance.

Eric

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @Eleeski. I do think it's time to get back to PT because I have a feeling that the meniscus is going to need to be cleaned up this spring anyway. In my lesson today (which was GREAT, and the snow was absolutely fantastic) we worked on SO many different things, but the big one seems to be that I am not pressuring the downhill ski enough. So, it seems that maybe 50% of my issue is technique, and 50% could be helped with boot tweaks. Regardless, we skied a lot of chop and powder off-piste and also some very steep groomers, and I did OK. I'm just not getting high enough edge angles still to slice through stuff or leave railroad tracks. Things to work on!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
angles alone does not equal railroad tracks.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
if that was all it took many more people would be able to RR track.

Sponsor

Staff online