• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Incidentally I will keep the two Salomon for now. The Mtn Lab is under a roof in Niseko (with me in Sydney Australia) anyway. I’ll probably keep using my QLabs in Australia for now - I have loved them - just the flared tail means you need to be 100% on when skiing trees. Hence the more relaxed tail for the Enforcer Free looking appealing.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
I found for a friend who doesn't use a computer much, a pair of NEW, 2020 Rossi Black Ops 98's for ---- $319.98!!! And, there was free shipping! And I thought I got a good deal at $560.00. They were the last ones a shop had, and were the not as popular 172 length. Sure hope the mountains are open next season.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Got my new 184cm Kendo 88s with Attack2 13 bindings today. Corbetts mounted them up at the most forward line and I just had to do the final adjustments for my boots. Got the yellow Attacks as I liked that colour combo on my new Fisher 102s.
FDC112FC-587A-4C70-A7EC-30F04A28730C.jpeg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can I ask what were the reasons you decided to mount Kendo +2?....

Ski designers agree that most skis can typically be moved forward or back 1-2cm of their recommend line without issue to adjust for personal preference or possibly to account for skiers in between ski lengths. Moving a mount forward will make a ski “ski shorter” so sometimes skiers who are sizing up to a longer length will move the mount forward for easier pivoting, quicker turn initiation and more playful feel in that longer length. Some may move a shorter ski length back a bit to make it “ski longer” as moving a mount back gives more stability, better float in powder and more carving power. These aren’t huge differences but definitely noticeable with some skis are more sensitive than others. Many freestyle/freeride skis can be moved off their mounts even more than 2cm without issue but I rarely go much over 2cm myself.

The 184cm Kendo 88 has a very traditional mount(11.5cm back from center/3.3cm back from an Enforcer 88) so I moved the mount forward a bit to make it more playful, easier to pivot in the bumps and more balanced in the air. If I was on the smaller 177cm length, I would not have moved the mount forward as it would then ski too short for me at 6’2”/175lbs.
With the Kendo 88 mount is so far back, it’s rare to move it even further back(unless maybe you’re sizing down a size) so that’s why Volkl only has additional mounting points forward of the line at +1cm and 2cm. As with any ski, the rec line is usually the safest bet unless you’ve been able to play around on a demo binding with multiple mounts and found one you like better.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ski designers agree that most skis can typically be moved forward or back 1-2cm of their recommend line without issue to adjust for personal preference or possibly to account for skiers in between ski lengths. Moving a mount forward will make a ski “ski shorter” so sometimes skiers who are sizing up to a longer length will move the mount forward for easier pivoting, quicker turn initiation and more playful feel in that longer length. Some may move a shorter ski length back a bit to make it “ski longer” as moving a mount back gives more stability, better float in powder and more carving power. These aren’t huge differences but definitely noticeable with some skis are more sensitive than others. Many freestyle/freeride skis can be moved off their mounts even more than 2cm without issue but I rarely go much over 2cm myself.

The 184cm Kendo 88 has a very traditional mount(11.5cm back from center/3.3cm back from an Enforcer 88) so I moved the mount forward a bit to make it more playful, easier to pivot in the bumps and more balanced in the air. If I was on the smaller 177cm length, I would not have moved the mount forward as it would then ski too short for me at 6’2”/175lbs.
With the Kendo 88 mount is so far back, it’s rare to move it even further back(unless maybe you’re sizing down a size) so that’s why Volkl only has additional mounting points forward of the line at +1cm and 2cm. As with any ski, the rec line is usually the safest bet unless you’ve been able to play around on a demo binding with multiple mounts and found one you like better.

Thank you for your very clear explanation. Excellent points....was wondering if others felt as I do.....(As a younger Pug, I sometimes think I’m crazy compared to some other opinions.)

Having skied a bunch of Volkl’s over the past 10 years...(Kendo, Mantra, Gotama, Shiro, Confession, Katana)...I like being a bit forward of the Volkl recommended line. (I’m 6’1 205...so I am usually on the 187/191ish length of things)

After initially experimenting with Marker Schizos years ago, I have found the sweet spot seems to be +1/+2 as well.....for the reasons you so eloquently explained...lol.

Btw...Great yellow Attacks...

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ski designers agree that most skis can typically be moved forward or back 1-2cm of their recommend line without issue to adjust for personal preference or possibly to account for skiers in between ski lengths.
Yes, most care more about stack height of the binding then being +/- a little bit.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes, most care more about stack height of the binding then being +/- a little bit.

On the Newschoolers site that is more freestyle/terrain park biased, there are lots of kids still wanting to center mount non-symmetrical skis on there. Remember seeing one of the designers at ON3P that sometimes answers posts on there says that people center mounting their Kartel/Jeffrey(already a very progressive 4.5 cm back from center) skis are “the reason he drinks.”
lol

James

Out There
Instructor
On the Newschoolers site that is more freestyle/terrain park biased, there are lots of kids still wanting to center mount non-symmetrical skis on there. Remember seeing one of the designers at ON3P that sometimes answers posts on there says that people center mounting their Kartel/Jeffrey(already a very progressive 4.5 cm back from center) skis are “the reason he drinks.”
lol
Where did you mount the 187 Menace/Slicer?
Mine was mounted on the rear line. Seemed too far forward, but I only skied s few runs before we lost the season.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
lol

At the shop I work at,....I really get some weird mounting requests from the young customers here in NEPA.....most from the tweenagers wanting everything center mounted...”true center”. Worst was a pair of ON3P Billy Goats that a guy wanted true center.....The kids immediately brought the skis back to me (cuz they know ON3P is pretty rare here in NEPA, and I have skied some ON3P’s in the past).....luckily he was still in the shop, I went right out and introduced myself to him and we “talked”....it was an easy sell to get him to go with the recommended line.....got a nice tip as well.

When the request is really weird, I have been trying to call the customer and ask their reasons for wanting to center mount a Mantra....lol....explain the advantages/disadvantages to center mounting skis......most/almost all customers have no idea of what I’m talking about and that they only wanted them center mounted because their friend said to. After I explain the whole process to them, they usually change their mind and we end up mounting on the recommended line or somewhere in between. Most appreciate the knowledge.....

It makes for very interesting Saturdays while at the shop.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Felt like we are going off topic with all this mounting point discussion but then saw @BC. post about how common misinformation about mounts there is still out there and would hate to see anyone on this thread mounting their new skis incorrectly for their use!

Where did you mount the 187 Menace/Slicer?
Mine was mounted on the rear line. Seemed too far forward, but I only skied s few runs before we lost the season.

The Slicer/Menace 98 has a wide range of mount points depending on use. The “park” mount is very forward at 1.75” back from center and the “all mountain” mount is 6cm back at 7.75”. The all mountain mark is only .5cm forward of an Enforcer 88/93/100 mount, so pretty far back for a freestyle ski. Most split the difference(3cm from either mount) for someone who uses it as an all mountain freestyle ski. I went plus 2cm of the back mark for my use and found it perfect. If you’re not hitting jumps and just want a playful all mountain ski, the back line is perfect. Think you’re just not used to a slightly more forward mount and think there will be more issues with base flatness/tune like most new skis. Mine were both edge high in the shovel/tail as are my new Fisher 102FR and the Kendo’s.

The very similar shaped Black Ops 98 has one mark at 4.7” back(middle of the Menace 98 range) as it’s marketed more as an all mountain freestyle ski. Those skiing mostly park will move it a bit forward of that mount and many on here who want a more playful all mountain ski and never hit jumps should move the mount back a few cm.

At the shop I work at,....I really get some weird mounting requests from the young customers here in NEPA.....most from the tweenagers wanting everything center mounted...”true center”. Worst was a pair of ON3P Billy Goats that a guy wanted true center.....The kids immediately brought the skis back to me (cuz they know ON3P is pretty rare here in NEPA, and I have skied some ON3P’s in the past).....luckily he was still in the shop, I went right out and introduced myself to him and we “talked”....it was an easy sell to get him to go with the recommended line.....got a nice tip as well.

When the request is really weird, I have been trying to call the customer and ask their reasons for wanting to center mount a Mantra....lol....explain the advantages/disadvantages to center mounting skis......most/almost all customers have no idea of what I’m talking about and that they only wanted them center mounted because their friend said to. After I explain the whole process to them, they usually change their mind and we end up mounting on the recommended line or somewhere in between. Most appreciate the knowledge.....

It makes for very interesting Saturdays while at the shop.

Have seen many people referring to the factory rec line as “center mounting” as maybe they are thinking “center of the boot” with the factory line which some don’t realize isn’t the center of the ski.
Always a good idea to call customers when you see odd requests and happy to hear you do. You often hear the opposite with many customers getting valid mount requests messed up as there was wasn’t proper markings on the ski or requests properly written down on the form for the tech to follow. I always mark mounts with tape and arrows on a ski and make sure the requests form also properly indicates the desired mounting point. Btw-ON3P and Moment skis fac mounts are perfect and I’d strongly recommended them on the line. The Asymmetrical Billy Goats are HORRIBLE off the line so you made a very wise choice talking to that customer!

There are only a few symmetrical skis even sold today and even those have recommended marks slightly back from center. Older Symmetrical Candide skis have a Candide rec mount that are still 1-2cm back from center so you can tell any kid that “I’m afraid you don’t know more about freestyle skiing than him”. Lol

Rough guidelines I’d recommend for freestyle skis: 1-2cm back from center for mostly rails and strictly park use, 2-4cm for mostly park but some use outside of the park. 4cm area is probably 50/50 park and all mountain use. 4-6cm back is the all mountain freestyle range with 6cm back ski mostly used outside of the terrain park.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Felt like we are going off topic with all this mounting point discussion but then saw @BC. post about how common misinformation about mounts there is still out there and would hate to see anyone on this thread mounting their new skis incorrectly for their use!

The Slicer/Menace 98 has a wide range of mount points depending on use. The “park” mount is very forward at 1.75” back from center and the “all mountain” mount is 6cm back at 7.75”. The all mountain mark is only .5cm forward of an Enforcer 88/93/100 mount, so pretty far back for a freestyle ski. Most split the difference(3cm from either mount) for someone who uses it as an all mountain freestyle ski. I went plus 2cm of the back mark for my use and found it perfect. If you’re not hitting jumps and just want a playful all mountain ski, the back line is perfect. Think you’re just not used to a slightly more forward mount and think there will be more issues with base flatness/tune like most new skis. Mine were both edge high in the shovel/tail as are my new Fisher 102FR and the Kendo’s.

The very similar shaped Black Ops 98 has one mark at 4.7” back(middle of the Menace 98 range) as it’s marketed more as an all mountain freestyle ski. Those skiing mostly park will move it a bit forward of that mount and many on here who want a more playful all mountain ski and never hit jumps should move the mount back a few cm.

Have seen many people referring to the factory rec line as “center mounting” as maybe they are thinking “center of the boot” with the factory line which some don’t realize isn’t the center of the ski.
Always a good idea to call customers when you see odd requests and happy to hear you do. You often hear the opposite with many customers getting valid mount requests messed up as there was wasn’t proper markings on the ski or requests properly written down on the form for the tech to follow. I always mark mounts with tape and arrows on a ski and make sure the requests form also properly indicates the desired mounting point. Btw-ON3P and Moment skis fac mounts are perfect and I’d strongly recommended them on the line. The Asymmetrical Billy Goats are HORRIBLE off the line so you made a very wise choice talking to that customer!

There are only a few symmetrical skis even sold today and even those have recommended marks slightly back from center. Older Symmetrical Candide skis have a Candide rec mount that are still 1-2cm back from center so you can tell any kid that “I’m afraid you don’t know more about freestyle skiing than him”. Lol

Rough guidelines I’d recommend for freestyle skis: 1-2cm back from center for mostly rails and strictly park use, 2-4cm for mostly park but some use outside of the park. 4cm area is probably 50/50 park and all mountain use. 4-6cm back is the all mountain freestyle range with 6cm back ski mostly used outside of the terrain park.

Great explanations...right on the money. Thank you. This info could be moved to a different thread if someone wanted to move/make it into a different thread....”Ski/Binding Mounting Points 101”....

James

Out There
Instructor
Think you’re just not used to a slightly more forward mount and think there will be more issues with base flatness/tune like most new skis. Mine were both edge high in the shovel/tail as are my new Fisher 102FR and the Kendo’s.
Yes, true. I’m used to very directional skis.
One’s tance is a bit different with the much more “tail pusher” er... I mean “progressive” mount. ogsmile

They were ground before use but there was an issue and haven’t had time to deal with it.
Long story to this ski. Bought it last yr in April end of season. Never got on snow, ski was defective. They were going to replace it with Black ops this winter, then Dynastar didn’t have the size. Eventually I just said give me the 187 Menace. Orig Skicer was the 181.

For one, I believe they gave it a radial tune which I dislike even on carving skis. They also may have gone 0.75 tip/tail to 0.5 underfoot.
Or there’s a burr etc. Ski would not slide sideways properly and you had to throw it on and off edge quickly in a turn.(hard snow) The last thing you want on that ski.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@GregK - those yellow Attacks look great ! :thumb:
Time to update your avatar with your quiver turn-over.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
@GregK - those yellow Attacks look great ! :thumb:
Time to update your avatar with your quiver turn-over.

Thanks! The yellow pair on the Fishers were taken from my Dynastar Menace 98s as the Utah place wanted too much money for Attacks compared to Corbetts. Loved the look of them with the blue and went the same on the new Kendo’s. Look pretty good for “Dad skis” I think! Lol

Haven’t decided if I’m keeping my Enforcer 104s and Head Framewalls yet, so the quiver photo might have to wait.

@James The tune doesn’t sound fun on those skis. I did a 1/3 tune on them and they were great. Do find keeping the bases and edges fast and free of burrs critical on those skis. Their gliding speed needs to be good so you get up to their “happy speed” for a 25m radius ski.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Can't thank yous guys enough for your knowledge and help. Just perusing the forums and gleaning has been so uplifting giving the circumstances. Ive placated my emotional hardships in the hospital by adding my first pair of Stocklis to the quiver. I was torn between the AR and AXs to fill the 80ish underfoot spot in my bag. Kudos to Lindsey and Noodler for their persuasiveness . I love laying trenches and wanted something to replace my GT 84 Tis. They're smooth, good on end of day groomers and bumps, but are starting to lose their energy. Plus I really want to feel the difference of a premium ski. Found the Laser ARs in 175 for a great price and pulled the trigger. Can't wait to wax em and dream...theyll be perfect.

GT 84 Tis
Kore 93s
102 FRs
Rustler 11s

Sponsor

Staff online