• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I picked up this base layer shirt for about $7.00 but have never heard of the brand name. Does anyone have history with the company? Thanks
IMG_20200222_093913.jpg

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up this base layer shirt for about $7.00 but have never heard of the brand name. Does anyone have history with the company? Thanks
View attachment 94489
yikes .... hope it's comfy but given all the warnings, I'd be afraid to not only laundering but of static bursting me into flames ... ogsmile

kidding aside, their web site looks interesting but I'm not a big fan of 100% polyester though I know today's Poly is much more engineered for feel, look, etc.

I suspect the "keep away from fire" is simply the traditional risk of it melting to skin if you're in a fire ... I know polyester clothing is shunned/banned from glass workshops ... so not really out of ordinary.

Be interesting to see a test between fancy natural wear fabrics and theirs.

Uncle-A

Skier
yikes .... hope it's comfy but given all the warnings, I'd be afraid to not only laundering but of static bursting me into flames ... ogsmile

kidding aside, their web site looks interesting but I'm not a big fan of 100% polyester though I know today's Poly is much more engineered for feel, look, etc.

I suspect the "keep away from fire" is simply the traditional risk of it melting to skin if you're in a fire ... I know polyester clothing is shunned/banned from glass workshops ... so not really out of ordinary.

Be interesting to see a test between fancy natural wear fabrics and theirs.
The new polyester is a lot better than the polyester of years ago and many of the people here are against cotton. I was doubtful of the new polyester at first but I have come around, it is warm and sheds water well. I still use cotton because I just like the feel, and if you ski on groomed trails do you really have to worry about "cotton kills"?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
if you ski on groomed trails do you really have to worry about "cotton kills"?
Absolutely. I sweat just cruising around. If you don't, YMMV. But if you take a fall or get caught in some weather, abs cotton gets wet, you're sunk.

Uncle-A

Skier
Absolutely. I sweat just cruising around. If you don't, YMMV. But if you take a fall or get caught in some weather, abs cotton gets wet, you're sunk.
I guess I am too conservative when it comes to weather at my age. I have been skiing since before these high tech fabrics became available, maybe that is why I don't feel the need that others do about their necessity. If you are skiing back country or in the trees I would agree that you need to take extra precautions. But if you stay on groomed trails and ski on weekends do you think you are going to be in that kind of trouble.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
But if you stay on groomed trails and ski on weekends do you think you are going to be in that kind of trouble.
In strictly that case, it's about comfort. I'd have wet and uncomfortable base layers at the end of the day if i was wearing cotton.

Uncle-A

Skier
In strictly that case, it's about comfort. I'd have wet and uncomfortable base layers at the end of the day if i was wearing cotton.
It just moved the wetness to the mid or outer layer. Maybe you are over dressing for as hard as you ski. I have had to put fewer layers on with the newer fabrics.

Uncle-A

Skier
My new heated boot bag has arrived.
IMG_20200309_131057.jpg
IMG_20200309_132649.jpg
IMG_20200309_132657.jpg
IMG_20200309_132710.jpg

The deal was$79 + tax so under $85. I have it plugged in to the 120V and on the low setting it is doing a good job in a short time. Will have to try it in the 12V side and share more. Thanks to the member @JMD that shared this deal.

Last edited:

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

Uncle-A

Skier
Wait, Sierra is part of tj-max? I’m going to check if they take tjmax gift cards...
Yes, the Sierra company is the most recent purchase of the TJX corporation. My wife has been a TJX customer for years and more recent she is also a Ross Store customer because she had a "Black Belt" in shopping. When I post in this thread about bargains many of the items especially the clothes she has found for me.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought some new Volkl Mantra 102s at 184cm. Mounted them with Pivot 14s.

I have demoed these a bit recently and really like them for my rough snow ski.

Corbetts currently has these at a great price (705 CAD with Marker Griffon 13s (no mount)).

My local shop was able to get close.....$900 CAD (650 usd)...including binding and mount. And I got the binding I wanted.

Decided to give the local my business.

Not bad, eh?

Uncle-A

Skier
FYI - This may enable someone to brag about a clothing purchase. Models Sporting Goods Store declared Chapter 11 Bankruptcy. They do sell ski clothes (Basic Clothes) and someone may be able to pick up a good deal on some jacket or pants. Good Luck.

Uncle-A

Skier
My new heated boot bag has arrived. View attachment 96194 View attachment 96196 View attachment 96197 View attachment 96198
The deal was$79 + tax so under $85. I have it plugged in to the 120V and on the low setting it is doing a good job in a short time. Will have to try it in the 12V side and share more. Thanks to the member @JMD that shared this deal.
I just got an email from Sierra that they dropped the price of this heated boot bag. It went from $79 + tax (what I paid) to $59 + tax. I guess I pulled the trigger on this one too soon.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow $149 for V82 -> smokin' deal ! Congrat's on that score :thumb:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I just got an email from Sierra that they dropped the price of this heated boot bag. It went from $79 + tax (what I paid) to $59 + tax. I guess I pulled the trigger on this one too soon.

Me too - I bought it only for the heating element. maybe Ill get another. <- which I did.

If anyone wants the actual bag - let me know and ill send - all I ask for you to cover the shipping. Hate to put them in the landfill.

Last edited:

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sooooo....
  • a new pair of Nordica Enforcer 104 Free @179cm. They replace Salomon QLabs.
  • A new pair of DPS Wailer 112 RP replacing Salomon Mtn Lab. These skis are exclusively for Japan skiing.

Sponsor