• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I actually contemplated buying the remaining pair of 175’s and joining the club.:D

Let me know if you do want to get them as I have connections there for better than listed prices on them and could get a binding/ski deal I’m sure.

Skied them a few years ago and thought they were fairly damp when I did. Not 2 sheets of metal damp but very good for a freestyle ski. I find full rocker skis hard on my body as they don’t have the “suspension” that camber skis seems to give in rough snow.

Blister and A Better Ski both praise how damp and good the Menace 98 were through crud and the Corbetts Slicer batch seems to be a bit heavier than average for that ski. :huh:

Blister-“For its width, the Menace is fairly heavy and it has a round flex pattern that isn’t all that demanding. These things combine to make a ski that feels pretty comfortable in variable snow. The Menace 98 is surprisingly damp and predictable.”

Last edited:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Not long at all. It would take a lot of perusing to get something that goes with it.
The Slicers were available for $239 with the elegant gray graphics from Corbets. That's less than I paid.I fear I may never ski mine as they were returned for warranty in late April early May. I don't really want this years version. Same ski, trashy top sheet

Absolutely agree with you about the topsheets on the 2020 Menace. They look like black skis with stickers on them.

@Wendy - Glad to hear your positive thoughts about the Slicers.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Menace is light and poppy- agreed there. Huge sweet spot.

There's any number of threads I might have recommended it until I remembered the downside. The readers here also want damp and easy on the knees both, which the Menace really isn't. It telegraphs all snow features straight up through the boot, esp. in chunky mashed potatoes where it really can't sink into the snow.

Maybe for the younger readers :D

I would say it is more damp than say, the Black Crows Captis.
I think it is a shame it has been renamed the Menace, because it isn’t menacing at all. Perhaps that’s a marketing ploy to younger freestyle skiers.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It may also be an attempt to ride the coatails of the legendary fat charger skis Dynastar has been so well known for. For example, the new Proto Factory 118, apparently a charger ski in the OG Legend Pro tradition.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The Menace series is a throwback to 10-15 years ago when Dynastar was a big factor in freestyle skis and had a line of Trouble Maker skis from jr versions to Big Trouble powder skis. Guess the Trouble Maker is still a Menace in their older age! Lol
Heard one of the Dynastar reps mention “if you remember the Trouble Maker back in the day, this one’s for you” before showing the Menace line so I think they are trying for more of a freestyle/freeride presence again.

Actually had a pair of Trouble Makers and bought another pair used($50 with Pivots!) for my GF when she started skiing. One of the coolest top sheets ever as they were made with chameleon paint and would change colors depending on the angle.
Not a fan of the Menace ones either though.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A pair of Renouns that I don't know much about but they look fun to me! Now it just needs to start snowing.. and since these are already used I will have zero reservations about skiing them opening weekend.
20190912_203738.jpg

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just bought this. PATAGONIA SNOW DRIFTER 40L SNOW PACK Navy Blue/Electric BLUE. I plan to using it when skinning or hiking up the mountain with my skis. This will hold my snowshoes, etc. If I'm hiking up this will also carry my skis. Thanks to the awesome pugski person who recommended this pack to me.

SmartSelect_20190913-214958_eBay.jpg
SmartSelect_20190913-215015_eBay.jpg

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Visited Corbetts yesterday to get my free binding mount on my new Dynastar Slicers and had them remount my Rustler 9s for the person buying them who has much larger feet then mine.
Picked up another ski sleeve on sale for $35 CAN with a color other than solid black so it will be easier to remember what skis are in them!

C2864635-B81B-4443-89D8-CBEB1E0FEC1F.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Visited Corbetts yesterday to get my free binding mount on my new Dynastar Slicers and had them remount my Rustler 9s for the person buying them who has much larger feet then mine.
Picked up another ski sleeve on sale for $35 CAN with a color other than solid black so it will be easier to remember what skis are in them!

View attachment 80248
Very nice matching bag for a good looking ski.

TS
jmeb

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm keeping my eye out for a pair of discount Hawx Ultra 130s in 27 if anyone sees them. I know...don't buy boots off the internet. But I talked to Atomic rep, and they are the same lasts as the XTD version which is an awesome fit.

In other news....picked up a travel ski that I loved demoing last year. Black Crow Corvus, new for $215 to my door. Yes please.

Sponsor

Staff online