• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This has nothing to do with not having a lot of knowledge about a very serious & sad subject. There is a ton of information out there about suicide and one doesn't have to do much Google research to find it. There are so many misconceptions about suicide; don't you think it's irresponsible to add to them based on "TV procedurals"?

I AM SORRY.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the past, I have had @SkiNurse's conversation with a Psychiatrist friend of mine who agreed about women being less successful because its more often a cry for help, i.e. they'll be found and rescued, whereas men are more "full metal jacket". She has to deal with the failed attempts, and contends it is actually very difficult to actually kill oneself, may end up disfigured and in bad shape, but not dead.
Anyway, we all know people who killed themselves and I don't care to add any more chit chat to this discussion.
I'm actually getting ready to go to the city to visit the Psychiatrist friend who wants to go out for dinner later today ... and I hate restaurants! And no, I'm not going to discuss this thread. I'm bringing her a bike to play around with ... not sure that's such a good idea of her's, but it beats dwelling on the past or an exercise in futility trying to solve the worlds problems ...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, I was torn about this thread when it first started, but I know that opening up this discussion has helped (at least) one person who no longer feels alone.

Some times we don't realize the responsibility we have in maintaining a good, informative discussion, and may never know the impact it has on someone.

James

Out There
Instructor
But if you are talking about 5.8 of 100,000 nonwhites, and 5.2 out of 100,000 blacks, that's 11 out of 200,000 total people; the rate for whites is 12 of 100,000 people. That's what I meant by adding, you have to add the number of total subjects as well.
Yeah I'll buy that. That's why you'd get 5.5/100,000 for those two groups combined. We're assuming "non whites" does not include blacks somewhere in the data they should list that.

Taking a look at the WHO figures, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and China have female suicide rates higher than male. Bangladesh 8.7/100,000 F 6.8 M
China 8.7 F 7.1M
Pakistan 9.6 F 9.1 M
http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.MHSUICIDE?lang=en

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The best I can add is:

It is easy to see in hindsight on the little clues you missed. Sometimes all it takes is to just care a little and offer support even when it gets rebuffed.

It does make the difference, you just don't know it (and likely never will).

Just a little thought.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
On the other hand, friends and family are NOT to blame for what they have or have not done when a loved one succeeds in committing suicide.
It is important for those that care to realize that they are not responsible for their loved one's suicide because they failed to offer the right amount of support at the right time. None of us can read minds.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It is easy that family and friends blame themselves as 100% hindsight makes it easy to see the warning signs (I know from experience only too well).

However one must learn realize that looking back in time is easy, I have yet to meet someone to foresee the future with as much detail and clarity.

What is important is sometimes just to be mindful and provide a good word as you never know the impact it has going foreward.

As to self blame, don't look back just forward.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I started this in part because its a real issue and although a lot of people think of the holidays as a depressing time of year, in the mountains, the Mud season can be really tough. I know I haven't been so cheerful dealing with nagging health issues both on my hip, respiratory/diaphragm problems and a pending relocation (ironically, its what I do for a living :D) . Ski season is ending, the weather tends to be pretty crappy, its not very scenic either. You really cant ride yet so you can feel a little lost. Interesting information here especially about sleep. I am making good progress on all fronts though! :yahoo:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I started this in part because its a real issue and although a lot of people think of the holidays as a depressing time of year, in the mountains, the Mud season can be really tough. I know I haven't been so cheerful dealing with nagging health issues both on my hip, respiratory/diaphragm problems and a pending relocation (ironically, its what I do for a living :D) . Ski season is ending, the weather tends to be pretty crappy, its not very scenic either. You really cant ride yet so you can feel a little lost. Interesting information here especially about sleep. I am making good progress on all fronts though! :yahoo:

One nice thing about mud season: fewer tourists ... but yeah, it can feel a little spooky. In Breck (the only such place with which I'm familiar), a lot of shops close up during mud season, so it can feel like a ghost town.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Lol, basically, the whole town goes on sale! That's one good thing about mud season, lots of twofers and some really good deals.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yeah I'll buy that. That's why you'd get 5.5/100,000 for those two groups combined. We're assuming "non whites" does not include blacks somewhere in the data they should list that.

Taking a look at the WHO figures, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and China have female suicide rates higher than male. Bangladesh 8.7/100,000 F 6.8 M
China 8.7 F 7.1M
Pakistan 9.6 F 9.1 M
http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.MHSUICIDE?lang=en
Is if fair to assume some honor killings are ruled suicide by local tribal authorities?

Reactions: Ron

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't think its honor killings, more of a lack of recourse on the females part when something does go wrong and preference is give to the males. Loss of hope, maybe.
You don't think that being faced with the threat of honor killing some decide to end it themselves first? You don't think that some of these suicides were actually murders but covered up because murder is still a crime in most urban jurisdictions but also still not frowned upon under some cultural scenarios?

In Pakistan, 1,000 women die in ‘honor killings’ annually. Why is this happening?

James

Out There
Instructor
Dowry Deaths too. I knew about them in India, but it's big in Pakistan, Bangladesh and Iran apparently.

"Dowry deaths are deaths of women who are murdered or driven to suicide by continuous harassment and torture by husbands and in-laws in an effort to extort an increased dowry.

Dowry deaths are found in India,[1] Pakistan,[2] Bangladesh,[3] and Iran.[4][5]India reports the highest total number of dowry deaths with 8,391 such deaths reported in 2010, 1.4 deaths per 100,000 women. Adjusted for population, Pakistan, with 2,000 reported such deaths per year, has the highest rate of dowry death at 2.45 per 100,000 women.[6][7]"
"In Bangladesh, dowry is called joutuk, and a significant cause of deaths as well. Between 0.6 to 2.8 brides per year per 100,000 women are reported to die because of dowry-related violence in recent years.[36][37] The methods of death include suicides, fire and other forms of domestic violence. In 2013, Bangladesh reported 4,470 women were victims of dowry-related violence over a 10-month period, or dowry violence victimized about 7.2 brides per year per 100,000 women in Bangladesh.[3]"
Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowry_death

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
That is beyond despicable and horrific.
Not much honor in our our system of letting drunken drivers kill on the highways and doctors suck the life out of the unborn. Cultural diversity is a tough pill to swallow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Folks, its been turning political for a few posts now. Time to turn it back to the original topic.

Sponsor