• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
Stöckli produces around 50,000 pairs of skis a year of which less than 5000 pairs are exported to the US. Most of their skis are sold through their chain of shops here in Switzerland. One of the reasons for the high prices is the very high cost of labor in Switzerland. Swiss labor costs are the highest in Europe, they are at least 5 times higher than the labor costs in eastern Europe where many of the European brands make the bulk of their skis these days.

As well as the best materials available they also use a different adhesive system, rather using pepreg or a 2 component liquid epoxy system as almost all the other ski manufactures do Stöckli uses a dry adhesive system based on the Redux adhesive system developed in England for use in the aircraft industry during WW II. The components are first coated with liquid resin and then with polyvinylformal powder after which they are then left to dry. Using this method the amount of adhesive applied to each component can be precisely controlled, the wet layup system used by most other small manufacturers relies on excess adhesive being squeezed out during pressing. It’s very important not to use too much adhesive as it influences the dynamic properties of the ski. As it’s a dry process the layup process isn’t as messy as with a liquid system, the workers laying up the skis don’t even have to wear gloves. This allows them to assemble the components more precisely.

Stöckli recently spent CHF 500,000 optimizing the temperature control of their ski presses, the temperature in each press bay can now be precisely controlled. I don’t think anybody else can control the pressing process to anywhere near that level.

If you wish you can visit the factory, they offer free 90 minute factory tours with a free drink at the end. http://www.stoeckli.ch/chde/events/winter/besichtigung-skimanufaktur-malters If you can’t make it to the factory this video illustrates the main steps in the production process, unfortunately the commentary is in Swiss German.

You may not like the way they ski, but I don’t think any other manufacturer of consumer skis produces anything that is as well constructed.

Great explanation! Thanks, that was very interesting.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
absolutely. You're correct, this is why there is one-of-a-kind and there are ONE-OF-A-KIND and there people/company who make both. I'm talking about second

I have my way to get best ski FOR ME and everything else irrelevant

Looks like we have different understanding/definition of one-of-a-kind skis.

Based on earlier discussions, I'm reasonably confident your custom product is of excellent quality and performance, however my general experience with custom made skis has been pretty hit-or-miss: some are excellent, some were far from excellent. If by "one of a kind" you mean elite quality and performance, then I absolutely agree with you, but I would never assume that all custom made skis are in that category, just as I would never assume that any given non-custom ski is NOT in the category.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Based on earlier discussions, I'm reasonably confident your custom product is of excellent quality and performance, however my general experience with custom made skis has been pretty hit-or-miss: some are excellent, some were far from excellent. If by "one of a kind" you mean elite quality and performance, then I absolutely agree with you, but I would never assume that all custom made skis are in that category, just as I would never assume that any given non-custom ski is NOT in the category.

I'm glad we understand each other. This is exactly what I meant when saying about one-of-a-kind and custom-built skis in relations to the price of Stocklis.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
It is the difference between a $50,000 BMW 328i and a $100,000 Porsche base 911. Both may have similar audio systems, leather quality, electronics, 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and plenty of other similarities. One is quite fun to drive; the other begs for a 6-hour road trip to visit the twistiest, most hairpin-filled canyon road in the state.

That being said, not everyone will appreciate the 911; if a car is simply a tool to get from point A to B, then a $50,000 anything is more car than you need. For anyone who puts a premium on driving experience and the overall feel of the chassis, the manual gearbox, the steering rack, and how everything is more than the sum of its parts in a 911 (or Cayman/Boxster), that person immediately "gets" the price. There aren't many modern cars with true character and soul: Porsche still makes those cars. I recently drove a decade-old 997.1 with some gearbox and suspension upgrades: it still wipes the floor in terms of driving feel and emotion when compared to even a modern BMW M3.

It is a similar situation with skis. I know I am on a Stockli without even looking down at it. The flex, dampness, snowfeel, ease of use, incredible stability, and versatility is hard to describe, but easy to feel. Try one if you have yet to.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
One thing you may be able get an end of season deal on a Stockli AX if you can find one your size. I have not seen that with a Renoun ski.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought the SR 100 Motion (women’s version of the SR 95) last year. I had to pre-order and wait about 4-6 weeks to get the skis. My God, I’ve never felt anything like this ski. SO smooth, easy to maneuver, yet powerful as heck. If it weren’t 100mm wide, I’d ski this all the time.

If I had unlimited funds, the skis I’d buy next would be the Laser AX and probably the SR 97 (lighter than the SR 95).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It is the difference between a $50,000 BMW 328i and a $100,000 Porsche base 911. Both may have similar audio systems, leather quality, electronics, 4 wheels, a steering wheel, and plenty of other similarities. One is quite fun to drive; the other begs for a 6-hour road trip to visit the twistiest, most hairpin-filled canyon road in the state.

That being said, not everyone will appreciate the 911; if a car is simply a tool to get from point A to B, then a $50,000 anything is more car than you need. For anyone who puts a premium on driving experience and the overall feel of the chassis, the manual gearbox, the steering rack, and how everything is more than the sum of its parts in a 911 (or Cayman/Boxster), that person immediately "gets" the price. There aren't many modern cars with true character and soul: Porsche still makes those cars. I recently drove a decade-old 997.1 with some gearbox and suspension upgrades: it still wipes the floor in terms of driving feel and emotion when compared to even a modern BMW M3.

It is a similar situation with skis. I know I am on a Stockli without even looking down at it. The flex, dampness, snowfeel, ease of use, incredible stability, and versatility is hard to describe, but easy to feel. Try one if you have yet to.
I'd like to welcome back @dawgcatching as a seasonal sponsor. There is no question that Stockli is a premium ski, Scott has always been a premium seller in the service he provides.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The dream quiver

5E20D2B0-07A5-45EE-98C0-5C0390D19D58.jpeg

Stöckli..... there is no substitute !

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
It feels like I'd have an easier time finding bigfoot than a stockli ski to demo, so I'll have to take everyones word for it.

I think the answer about supply and demand and the cost of labor is the majority of the reason. I really appreciate their manufacturing process and attention to detail, so I hope to have the pleasure of trying one someday. My great grandparents moved to the US from Switzerland, so I always wanted to visit. I'm sure their skis are as good or better than anything from Austria or Spain or eastern Europe being made.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
It feels like I'd have an easier time finding bigfoot than a stockli ski to demo, so I'll have to take everyones word for it.

I believe Ski and Sport in Ridgefield CT demo's Stöckli's (I know they sold/demo'd them when I lived near them 2 years back).

Cuff

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am intrigued by the glowing reviews of the Laser AX. I don't NEED another pair of skis but the more I read, the more I WANT those skis. I'm 5'7" 140 lbs, which length would suit me better, the 167 or 175. I usually ski a 170-173, but read the 175 skis like a 178.

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
I think either length would be fine. It would be more depending on your style, taste, and intended use of the skis.

I am intrigued by the glowing reviews of the Laser AX. I don't NEED another pair of skis but the more I read, the more I WANT those skis. I'm 5'7" 140 lbs, which length would suit me better, the 167 or 175. I usually ski a 170-173, but read the 175 skis like a 178.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

167 no doubt for all rounder they do ski long

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm 5'8" and 140#. My ski length of choice is either side of 170 cm. The AX in 167 is perfect for me. Unless you stick to groomers only, I expect that that would be your length as well. Best ski I've ever owned.

Edit: @Lorenzzo is on the 175s and is taller than me by several inches. And outweighs me by... some.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Since the OP is from CT. Norse House at Stratton also demo Stockli.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I am 5'9", 168 and have a pair of AX's in 168 and 175. Deciding between the two is splitting hairs. The shorter ski will provide more positive edge engagement. The longer ski will help make up for pressure control shortcomings in soft snow. But again, splitting hairs.

I have 2 pair of AX's, SC's in 170, GS in 170, and the slalom ski from the Laser line.

My every day work ski is a Dynastar Speed Zone, with the SC's coming out if I am free skiing, and the AX's coming out if I have an advance level private request where I may be on flat green runs, bumps, trees, off-piste, etc.

The AX's are phenominal skis. I say just buy them and take a clinic to hone in sensations.

Enjoy the journey.

Sponsor

Staff online