• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FreddieG

Booting up
Skier
"10 day process is probably more marketing hype than reality. Yes, I'm sure that you can somehow add the process time up and come up with that number. They are hand built. All skis are hand built. So what's the difference and how do you justify the significantly higher price? I think of it more like two chefs making the same dish. One can go out and get a cheaper cut of meat or use fish that's been around a little too long vs. paying a premium for the best cut or the freshest fish possible. One buys frozen sauce from the restaurant supply guy, the other makes it from scratch and simmers it for hours, tasting as he goes to get it just right.. One opens a can of vegetables, vs. getting fresh from the garden organic veggies, and so on. One chef learned his trade on the grill at McDonalds. The other has an advanced degree from a famous Swiss cooking school. Both will make the same dish and both dishes are edible. One has you wishing you'd gone to another restaurant. The other one has you swooning over the most amazing meal you've ever had. The dinner tab is much higher for the better meal, and you can't wait to go back."

Choucas, as a professional chef, I agree with your analogy!!
I think that in many cases, the raw product that one starts with dictates the finish products , always, in any craft. Yes, cooking is a craft.
I have "skied" Dynastar, Atomic, Fisher, and they are good skis brands, but this year I bought Stockli , and IMHO those skis are at a different level of excellence.
Does that justify the price? Is a Porsche a better car than a Lexus? Your call.
Thanks for reading.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Stockli should adopt a paraphrasing of the old slightly smug Packard automobile slogan:

"Ask the man or woman who owns them"

I'll confess I've recently gotten on the Stockli bandwagon as of last March. Deals do pop up, but it takes searching and waiting.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Badda bing!

Sponsor

Staff online