• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Wouldn't the AX be most like the Z 77 ???

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I like to take the equipment factor out of the equation, leaving only operator error to blame.

Tools in our woodworking facility by
Martin, Format, Felder, maffel

Stockli, Wagner, Renoun, DPS, Kastle
all great tools for the mountain and all similarly priced.

Edit : besides, I need all the help I can get !

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I first demo’d a Stockli during the 15/16 winter here in New England. Conditions were generally terrible that year, but somehow the SR88 made conditions feel better then they were.

I figured nothing was that good, so I tried them again. Same result.

Wound up buying a pair at the end of the season. Two years later I have yet to find a condition they don’t rule in.

I’ve found the Laser SC is the most versatile “skinny carver” I’ve ever been on.

I’ve never been to the Stockli factory. I don’t know if they use slaves or magic elves. I do know they make skis that have a versatility window that puts every other ski I’ve tried to shame.

Do they cost a lot? Yes. Are they worth it? Hell yes.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I have a friend that works at Stockli. She told me that overall ski sales are down like 17% this season, Stockli is up 30%. Most manufacturers are blowing out inventory now. She says "I felt bad because a dealer called asking if he could get skis for 40% off now and I had to tell him no. We only have two SR88s left". That's why Stocklis are expensive, supply and demand.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
IMO for the price Stockli charges for their skis, one can get truly one-of-a-kind custom-built pair skis. That means to me they are overpriced for mass production skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMO for the price Stockli charges for their skis, one can get truly one-of-a-kind custom-built pair skis. That means to me they are overpriced for mass production skis
Sorry, just because something is one of a kind custom does not make it better. I have skied many one of a kind custom skis that were not worth the...well much. There are some one of a kind custom skis that if I had to ski for the rest of my skiing days, I am not sure how many skiing days I would have left.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Rarity certainly can have value, but just because it is rare doesn't mean it skis as well as a Stockli.

it's not about rarity.

Look at it a little differently. If you have to buy expensive suit. Would you take straight from the store not tailored or for about same price go to a tailor and have tailored suit

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's why Stocklis are expensive, supply and demand.
Especially that all-too-often ignored supply half. Sounds like they have decided not to make more than they can sell at close to full price.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Sorry, just because something is one of a kind custom does not make it better. I have skied many one of a kind custom skis that were not worth the...well much. There are some one of a kind custom skis that if I had to ski for the rest of my skiing days, I am not sure how many skiing days I would have left.

absolutely. You're correct, this is why there is one-of-a-kind and there are ONE-OF-A-KIND and there people/company who make both. I'm talking about second

I have my way to get best ski FOR ME and everything else irrelevant

Looks like we have different understanding/definition of one-of-a-kind skis.

oboe

Booting up
Skier
2016/2017 STÖCKLI LASER AX 167 CM with Attack 13 bindings. Used one season, never base ground. PM me.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
value is all relative so if you feel they are worth it, then thats all that matters. If you feel no ski is worth $XX.XX then don't buy them. there's no point in arguing this; theres no right or wrong answer.

This exactly, all relative. No right or wrong answer.

IMO, yes a stockli is a much more well made ski than your average Rossi,k2,salomon,etc right off the rack. It comes down to the type of skier you are. As someone who skis 100+ days a year I put a beating on skis. It's not financially feasible for me to be spending that kind of loot every season or 2.

I go somewhere in the middle with semi custom like praxis or on3p as of lately. Everyone I know that skis stockli as a daily driver gets some kind of bro-down that brings the cost $$ Down To a feasible price.

If I skied less (25 days year) and a pair lasted me 5+ years I wold probably look at cost differently and more likely see a better perceived value.

Money being no object for sure!
I would be stoked to have something like a stockli or dps new every 18 months or so to beat on and not think twice about it!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I first tried Stockli in 1998; my first Laser SC was in 2001; I took them to Sutton and no one had even heard of the brand but several people still had Authiers on the hill :D :D :D

Lessee, Stormrider II (2x), Stormider XL (multiple), Stormrider VXL (2x), Stormrider TT (2x), Spirit, and anyone remember the name of the weird little mogul/park ski they did back around '03? Before the park-Rotors came out, when 'Rotor' was their hypercarver ski?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Cyrus brought the Z-90 Renouns down from his office, handed them to me, and said "Enjoy!" I've followed his direction and have been doing so. They are performing as advertised, and FUN! FUN! FUN! I have taught lower level skiers on the bunny hill, zipped along on those fun narrow, winding ungroomed trails with bumps and rocks to dodge, and let them go as fast as they want on groomers. I have 100 days form the date of delivery to like them or return them. I AM KEEPING THEM!!!! Now I have some Kastle FX94 and Stockli Laser AX for sale. FULL DISCLOSURE: I'm not all that as a skier [great teacher, though], but on the Renouns, I AM all that . . . or at least, I feel that way. They have boosted my confidence immeasurably.

We have the top three skis mentioned in the quoted post Stockli, Kastle and Renouns all are the high price option. Are we justifying the purchase price by how we praise them, or is it just the feel of the newest ski we just purchased, or is one that much better than the rest? I have not skied the Stockli or the Renoun's but I have several old Kastle's not the new models and they have not disappointed so how can we truly tell or evaluate what is best? Above I suggested that the AX matches up with the Z 77's but not sure what Kastle makes that fits with those two or if they have a narrow waist front side hard surface carver in their product line. Are they worth the extra $300 - $500 more than say a Head Rally or some other ski that would fit the category?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
value is all relative so if you feel they are worth it, then thats all that matters. If you feel no ski is worth $XX.XX then don't buy them. there's no point in arguing this; theres no right or wrong answer.
You need to add an X or two.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Golf, fishing, shooting, and now skiing, I am a believer in buying quality so it enhances the experience. I find it somewhat amusing when it is ok if it will last 5 years and it is ok to purchase but it is too expensive to do it when it will only last 2 years .... There are the same number of ski days involved, but just more compressed in the higher volume 2 year scenario. Hmmm, I would ONLY look at it as the cost/pleasure per day purchase.

Sometimes i just shake my head.

If I am going to do something, I am going to do it for the best possible experience.

Obviously others make different choices.

Now I 100% get budgets, and we have to live within budgets, but skiing is really a cost per day type of activity. Certainly that is how everyone seems to look at ski passes, so how can the ski be any different?

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
To me, any high end ski will be pretty much the same thing. It all comes down to feel, and that's subjective as heck. I will have just as much enjoyment and fun, and ski pretty much the same, either way. I always felt that people should spend their money the way they want, and if it makes them happy that's all that matters/

I go to demo days and try all the popular brands and honestly, if they're aimed at my skill level and conditions, they are all pretty nice to ski. Like anyone else, I have my preferences for feel and performance characteristics.

Maybe some day I'll have a revelation about a ski that allows me to float like I'm riding on angels wings and carve like a formula race car and I'll never catch an edge because it has magical edges and whatever is going on... in the meantime I guess I'll just slum it with skis half the price.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have the top three skis mentioned in the quoted post Stockli, Kastle and Renouns all are the high price option. Are we justifying the purchase price by how we praise them, or is it just the feel of the newest ski we just purchased, or is one that much better than the rest? I have not skied the Stockli or the Renoun's but I have several old Kastle's not the new models and they have not disappointed so how can we truly tell or evaluate what is best? Above I suggested that the AX matches up with the Z 77's but not sure what Kastle makes that fits with those two or if they have a narrow waist front side hard surface carver in their product line. Are they worth the extra $300 - $500 more than say a Head Rally or some other ski that would fit the category?

Check out my "When You Just Can't Afford A Premium Ski" comparison. As far as to what is the best? Well, they could be be it stil comes down to the skiers needs. Stockli changed construction of the SR88 last year, IMHO they neutered the ski, it went from being one of the most supple skis in the class, a ski that could do pretty much anything to a ski that well is a good ski for an intermediate who wants a premium brand ski. When you are paying an extra $300-500 you are getting Nth degrees of refinement, no different than when you are paying that percentage more with scotches, watches, cars, audio, whatever premium product HERE.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Stöckli produces around 50,000 pairs of skis a year of which less than 5000 pairs are exported to the US. Most of their skis are sold through their chain of shops here in Switzerland. One of the reasons for the high prices is the very high cost of labor in Switzerland. Swiss labor costs are the highest in Europe, they are at least 5 times higher than the labor costs in eastern Europe where many of the European brands make the bulk of their skis these days.

As well as the best materials available they also use a different adhesive system, rather using pepreg or a 2 component liquid epoxy system as almost all the other ski manufactures do Stöckli uses a dry adhesive system based on the Redux adhesive system developed in England for use in the aircraft industry during WW II. The components are first coated with liquid resin and then with polyvinylformal powder after which they are then left to dry. Using this method the amount of adhesive applied to each component can be precisely controlled, the wet layup system used by most other small manufacturers relies on excess adhesive being squeezed out during pressing. It’s very important not to use too much adhesive as it influences the dynamic properties of the ski. As it’s a dry process the layup process isn’t as messy as with a liquid system, the workers laying up the skis don’t even have to wear gloves. This allows them to assemble the components more precisely.

Stöckli recently spent CHF 500,000 optimizing the temperature control of their ski presses, the temperature in each press bay can now be precisely controlled. I don’t think anybody else can control the pressing process to anywhere near that level.

If you wish you can visit the factory, they offer free 90 minute factory tours with a free drink at the end. http://www.stoeckli.ch/chde/events/winter/besichtigung-skimanufaktur-malters If you can’t make it to the factory this video illustrates the main steps in the production process, unfortunately the commentary is in Swiss German.

You may not like the way they ski, but I don’t think any other manufacturer of consumer skis produces anything that is as well constructed.

Sponsor

Staff online