• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Solar Eclipse 2017 Discussion Thread

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
For those wanting to photograph this eclipse, here is a nice article (with links) from B&H and Adorama, including a discussion of lenses, filters, etc.: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/how-photograph-sun?BI=572&kw=&c3api=0980,106232511053&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs8qQgffm1QIVU21-Ch2cog39EAAYASAAEgKNl_D_BwE

https://www.adorama.com/alc/how-to-photograph-the-total-solar-eclipse

The sun is 93 million miles away. There is a lot of air, dust, etc. between Earth and the sun. A typical 200mm or 300mm lens probably doesn't give enough reach on an APS-C or FF for a decently sharp image. I may attempt to stick a really sharp 300mm on a tiny sensor DSLR (roughly a 1,500mm equivalent in the 35mm world), but it probably isn't worth the effort. This is one of these things where it is better for someone from NASA to photograph the event.

Last edited:

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
The Moon surface isn't smooth. So even if you do have a sharp lens, you'll simply magnify those jagged edges. It'll still look fuzzy.

To get sharp images of those jagged edges, one needs a telescope.

Your intuition is right to leave it to NASA and the astronomers.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My goal is to ensure that my kids and their neighborhood friends get the same encouragement and support (sharing the viewing gear we have) that I remember getting from the teachers in Jr High during the last one almost 40 years ago. My viewing, photos, etc is a very distant second to that of the kids and their friends. If there are more kids than glasses and goggles I might only get to look at it for a minute or two, and maybe not even at the peak at all.

They'll be finishing up college on 2024. Perhaps then we can all get the full totality experience from an RV somewhere really cool.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I do have a decent option for regular view photos. My Nokia phone with Zeiss lens fits perfectly inside the cheap welder's goggles and camera lines up right behind the goggle lens. When I tuck the phone inside the goggles with camera on and hold it up to a bright light it looks pretty perfect. I'll try to get some photos that way. Not going to give the goggles to little kids because they aren't 100% safe to stare at it for a long time.. only brief glimpses for a few seconds at a time.. But phone camera through goggles should be 100% safe.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm wondering if the event and all the photos and go live posts will break Facebook today..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And now, the conspiracy theories come out
Always a yin to the yang... :roflmao:
Snip -
You’d think there would be a balanced look at even considering the idea that the eclipse isn’t going to happen. It’s like no one is even thinking to question this. Where are their voices? Why does Google give so few results that say the eclipse is fake? I would start by looking at Mark Zuckerberg and Charles “Chuck” Schumer.

I am not saying the eclipse isn’t going to happen. I’m just saying there are two sides to every story.

Is nobody worried that the eclipse is going to trigger the Yosemite SuperVolcano?

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...rview/&usg=AFQjCNHSCM12RxofSw5mv3NQcvlWeTGASg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

I was thinking about that.. and glad we got to see it mid June before it all blows up. Not to laugh though because when it goes us folks on the east coast will be buried under 6 feet of volcanic ash..

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
2.jpg
:)

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
We are going to the http://www.stuhrmuseum.org/special-.../21/gem-over-the-prairie-eclipse-event/134417 in Grand Island, NE.

Will divert along interstate 80 and farm roads to find clear skies as needed.

I just need to step out on my deck -- we live in Omaha. Not complete totality but pretty close. My son just started college today as a freshman at the University of Nebraska Lincoln. Pretty timely because he has an astronomy class this morning, and Lincoln is in the path of totality.

It rained last night, but the sun is out now.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh good grief. I have a strong virtual connection with fantasy and what not. My birthday is Jan 25, and I will be 125 in 2083, and there's partial solar eclipse on Feb 16 2083, and because both of these dates are within Aquarius, I think I'll make it to 125. Can you believe the White King killed the dragon? Oh shit.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are at a park, flying a kite while we watch. The kids are excited, even with only 60-65%.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
deep marine layer messing with my view

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
And, now we find out how many millions of photo and video uploads per minute Facebook can handle.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just like Christmas morning.. all the buildup and mania for weeks and weeks... a few minutes of insanity, then it's all over...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Watching it from JH......on TV, while sitting in Boston. Weather looks perfect.

The reporter just mentioned a couple of "ski buffs" who are eclipse chasers who are getting married right after totality. He has seen 11, she has seen nine.

Interesting.........

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Watching it from JH......on TV, while sitting in Boston. Weather looks perfect.

The reporter just mentioned a couple of "ski buffs" who are eclipse chasers who are getting married right after totality. He has seen 11, she has seen nine.

Interesting.........

Ya, was thinking of TonyC and Liz watching that right now..

We're thinking of going for totality in 2024 when the kids are finishing college.. Perhaps head north, rent an RV and reserve a good camp spot, maybe Acadia??

Sponsor

Staff online